ADVERTISEMENT

Bagley Files for Reclassification

When I hear about a kid thinking of reclassification, I wonder why? Most kids are probably not ready, but let's be honest, Bagley is a beast from day 1. That kid is obviously ready. It just seems to me when a coach is talking to a kid about this, it's more to help the school and not so much the kid. Like others have said, it would be a miracle if this kid plays college basketball, but this late and he ends up at Duke? I was looking forward to Bolden being the man by starting in Duke's frontcourt. I want to see K bring out the magic and mold this kid into a Duke great. The one n done plan didn't work out so well, but whatever.

It all depends on how you define cheating.

Duke is not paying players, ok that's out of the way.

Duke is, however, not free of snake bite, they just have the rules applied differently as it stands. Lance Thomas was ineligible. There's no question, they just applied "strict liability" differently than they did others. What Cal knows or doesnt know doesnt matter, the incident happened. With K, what he knows or doesn't know plays no role, if he says he's not involved that's that. Strict liability does not apply to Duke.

Let's not forget Corey Maggetti either. Had that been Cal we all know, season gone.

Duke has a minimum of 2 final fours and a title that should probably be erased going by the standards set for cleveland state and Kentucky.

Whether or not teams appear to "need" to cheat is irrelevant. It happens all the time. Great programs play in grey areas all the historically. I'm sure UCLA didn't "need" to cheat after their 4th in a row. It continued.

I'm sure Pitino didn't "need" to pay hookers, but it happened.

Great programs cheat, in one form or another, because they are still competing with other great programs. I mean hello, UNC had a minor league system going for over two decades.

Barnhart is someone who will nose divr before he allows a scandal on his watch. Im not a fan, but that's mitch. Our compliance is superb. I dont care for them but it is what it is. We also have every reporter in the industry going after Cal daily, I firmly believe UK is the only clean blue blood rolling today. Even if you're not a fan, logic should tell you there's evidence to suggest it.

Duke has the ncaa and espn pushing sunshine up their back. If anyone is cheating now, it could easily be them. Unc recived the Duke treatment from the ncaa and espn for decades, and look what they were doing.

Duke is, however, not free of snake bite, they just have the rules applied differently as it stands. Lance Thomas was ineligible. There's no question, they just applied "strict liability" differently than they did others. What Cal knows or doesnt know doesnt matter, the incident happened. With K, what he knows or doesn't know plays no role, if he says he's not involved that's that. Strict liability does not apply to Duke.

Let's not forget Corey Maggetti either. Had that been Cal we all know, season gone.

Duke has a minimum of 2 final fours and a title that should probably be erased going by the standards set for cleveland state and Kentucky.

Whether or not teams appear to "need" to cheat is irrelevant. It happens all the time. Great programs play in grey areas all the historically. I'm sure UCLA didn't "need" to cheat after their 4th in a row. It continued.

Great programs cheat, in one form or another, because they are still competing with other great programs. I mean hello, UNC had a minor league system going for over two decades.

Barnhart is someone who will nose divr before he allows a scandal on his watch. Im not a fan, but that's mitch. Our compliance is superb. I dont care for them but it is what it is. We also have every reporter in the industry going after Cal daily, I firmly believe UK is the only clean blue blood rolling today. Even if you're not a fan, logic should tell you there's evidence to suggest it.

Duke has the ncaa and espn pushing sunshine up their back. If anyone is cheating now, it could easily be them. Unc recived the Duke treatment from the ncaa and espn for decades, and look what they were doing.
Pinpoint accuracy with this post, sir. Did you jump inside my mind for a minute? [laughing] Exactly what I was thinking. At work and can't post at such length at the current juncture. Couldn't agree more.

Noel didnt reclassify, he rejoined his original class. Thornton for dook reclassified, he skipped his SR year of high school. Not sure about Towns. Bagley would be a 19 year old FR, im assuming he would be rejoining his original class too.

Noel didnt reclassify, he rejoined his original class. Thornton for dook reclassified, he skipped his SR year of high school. Not sure about Towns. Bagley would be a 19 year old FR, im assuming he would be rejoining his original class too.

Rejoining your original class is still reclassifying, since you were in a different class.

Noel was in the 2013 class and reclassified to the 2012 class. Even though he had previously been in the 2012 class, he still reclassified because he was part of the 2013 class, then was part of the 2012 class.

Same thing for Bagley.

It is technically reclassifying.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, Duke taking anyone with a GPA below a 3.5 is cheating. The image the NCAA tries to push as K's golden and "clean" boys is garb. 80% or more of their athletes couldn't get into Duke until K had their standards changed.

It's one of the reasons I believe Duke will go the way of Indiana. It's fake as hell.

Rejoining your original class is still reclassifying, since you were in a different class.

Noel was in the 2013 class and reclassified to the 2012 class. Even though he had previously been in the 2012 class, he still reclassified because he was part of the 2013 class, then was part of the 2012 class.

Same thing for Bagley.

True. dook is the real BS culprit here though with Thorntton. Tricked him into coming early and missing his SR year and the all star games and such. eff them

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
True. dook is the real BS culprit here though with Thorntton. Tricked him into coming early and missing his SR year and the all star games and such. eff them

No love for Duke here, but I don't really agree with the idea that they screwed him out of his Senior year. Several kids bypass their Senior year and graduate early for one reason or another. That is not a big deal anymore.

I don't think Duke needs to cheat.

I don't think they "need" to cheat either, but how does Bagley go from having trouble qualifying for college to getting into a fairly prestigious academic school?

Maybe the rumors of having trouble qualifying were false. But if not, something would be very fishy is duke landed him.

Reactions: TM2013
Imagine the Celtics winding up with the #1 and #2 picks in the 2018 NBA Draft and having Porter Jr., Ayton, Bamba, and Bagley to choose from.

I hate Dook just like the rest but I still can't believe so many are linking Bagley to Duke just because he's reclassifying. It was mentioned three or four months ago that Cal eased up on Bamba because he was pursuing Bagley who was entertaining reclassification. Now that it's come to pass everyone screaming Duke. By everyone I mean the pundits/scouting services. I personally will not be shocked if Cal is not all mixed up in this!!! (And if he is then Cale playing it smart cause the best way to get the NCAA to rule in your favor is appear to be a Duke/UNC lean!!!)

I love Cal and his recruiting but Bagley is the type player (top 1-3) that we absolutely need to start reeling in to continue to go after #9. Players 15-35 are good and all but with our total reliance on freshman us signing an unquestionable talent like Bagley would put us in the drivers seat. Really hope he doesn't end up at Duke.

Same thing for Bagley.

Noel and Andre Drummond, another example, were different than Bagley, though. Noel attended HS in 08-09, just like Drummond attended HS in 07-08. Noel went to Everett HS in MA for 2 years, then transferred to a very academically legit prep school. Drummond did the same thing, 2 years at Capital Prep in Hartford, then a transfer to a stronger academic school. Both Noel and Drummond moved back a class when they transferred, because both had concerns about qualifying for college. After 2 years, they were both in solid enough academic position to be college eligible.

With Bagley, OTOH, there's no evidence at all that he was attending HS 4 years ago, which would be the 13-14 season. He played one year at Corona Del Sol in Tempe AZ, then transferred to Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix, a "basketball academy" that gained notoriety because an NCAA investigation of it (that occurred while Bagley was enrolled- and DeAndre Ayton) found no evidence that players were attending classes (ever). Bagley left there, and has been at Sierra Canyon in SoCal for 1 1/2 years.

This is really a test of how much the NCAA is going to allow online courses to count towards meeting its academic requirements. Because having a whole lot of that type of thing on his transcript is the only possible way that Bagley can be claiming to be a 2017 HS grad.

Who on here thought we would land k knox? just sayin.'
Your line of reasoning has little to do with Bagley, but it is a fair portrayal of the unpredictability of college recruiting in general. Since Knox made a late decision, nobody knew what he would decide. The "crystal ball" is often wrong. That's because the people making those predictions are just guessing, like the rest of us. I don't honestly believe Calipari will be able to sign Bagley, but I don't care. And that's where I am in the minority here. Bagley may be a great player, but basketball is a team sport. UK didn't sign Michael Beasley, Andrew Wiggins, Jaylen Brown, Mohamed Bamba, but the sky didn't fall. As long as Calipari is here, UK fans don't need to worry about our roster.

Your line of reasoning has little to do with Bagley, but it is a fair portrayal of the unpredictability of college recruiting in general. Since Knox made a late decision, nobody knew what he would decide. The "crystal ball" is often wrong. That's because the people making those predictions are just guessing, like the rest of us. I don't honestly believe Calipari will be able to sign Bagley, but I don't care. And that's where I am in the minority here. Bagley may be a great player, but basketball is a team sport. UK didn't sign Michael Beasley, Andrew Wiggins, Jaylen Brown, Mohamed Bamba, but the sky didn't fall. As long as Calipari is here, UK fans don't need to worry about our roster.

Nobody here knows what bagley will decide, and maybe his decision will be a late one, defying the crystal ball.
Because of the unpredictability of college recruiting i'd say my reasoning is sound.

I understand how high school credits is completed and i do not see how ayton or bagley either one will ever play a minute of college basketball.

Nobody here knows what bagley will decide, and maybe his decision will be a late one, defying the crystal ball.
Because of the unpredictability of college recruiting i'd say my reasoning is sound.

This smacks of a KU commit. We have the most playing time available and have a legit title contender that he would add to. He could come in and showcase himself like Jackson did. Self is the king of landing the top recruit in the class and coaching them up into the top of the lotto.

This smacks of a KU commit. We have the most playing time available and have a legit title contender that he would add to. He could come in and showcase himself like Jackson did. Self is the king of landing the top recruit in the class and coaching them up into the top of the lotto.
100$ says he doesn't go to KU care to wager?

Last edited:
If it's not Kentucky, lets hope it's USC. I don't know why, but when a kid starts talking about reclassification, it's usually Duke. I would really hate to see a legit talent like Bagley playing at Duke. This kid will be a beast for whatever school he decides to play at, but if I ever have to see Bagley slapping the floor after a blocked shot, I'll probably be sick to my stomach. This kid has more of a Cal type player look more so than coach K.

Noel reclassified came to UK. Kat reclassified came to UK. Murray reclassified and came to UK. Thornton reclassified and went to duke. Not seeing your logic at all?

Reactions: Aike
It's pretty well known that he doesn't have the credits to reclassify. He'll be at Duke and you can be sure the "helped" him get eligible.
I have never heard that one time. UK and Cal have been in on a possible re class and even told Bamba that he would recruit him to play this season at UK and its supposedly according to Texas sources why he chose Texas over UK. That being said doesn't mean we get him. The only thing that is well known is he is eligible for the 18 draft will go one or 2 and if he doesn't reclassify and play this season chances are he never will. If the NCAA let Ayton and Duval play then Bagley who left the problem school early as well will be eligible. Anti UK biased by the NCAA Wouldnt matter. You would get a personal lawsuit by the Bagley's and they would own the NCAA. Can't say credits are good from the exact same school for some and not others.

I love Cal and his recruiting but Bagley is the type player (top 1-3) that we absolutely need to start reeling in to continue to go after #9. Players 15-35 are good and all but with our total reliance on freshman us signing an unquestionable talent like Bagley would put us in the drivers seat. Really hope he doesn't end up at Duke.
Agreed

/RACK

Mic drop lol

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I've been saying this for a long time now and it was always met with "number one recruiting class not good enough for you har haar"....

Thats not the point. Our title had 2 top 5 players and the #1 and #2 draft picks. If we arent going to be returning some upperclassman, top 5, LEGITIMATE top 5, are absolutely necessary.

Unless of course one of these guys end up top 5 and underrated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT