ADVERTISEMENT

Awful ways to die

That's an interesting choice:

Burned alive - unimaginably painful (for a short time)

OR

Al alone, pitch black, in the middle of the ocean (not as painful, but torturously long, and terrifying)

You have to pick one.
A documentary about the early years of the U-Boat menace against the British Navy. Policy was to keep going when u-boats were in the area and ships had been sunk. This one sailor was talking about how he recalls a surviving sailor in a life vest yelling taxi as the ship was leaving him very fast. He said the guy kept a sense of humor even though he knew he was going to die.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: HymanKaplan
I listened to the stuck in cave story while driving home the other day. I never really had claustrophobia but that may have changed with that story. I want nothing to do with caves that have tight squeezes.

• Ed: That's no way for a man to die.
  • Frank: [being blunt] Ah, you're right, Ed. A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!

About 12 years ago, one of my best friends developed ALS. Less than a year later, he was dead. Watching him slowly (or quickly, depending on how you look at it) deteriorate from using a cane to a walker to a wheel chair to being bed ridden and being barely able to speak and move his eyes was gut wrenching. At the end, he couldn't do anything but move his eyes. I can't imagine the horror of knowing your body was continuing to shut down, day by day, piece by piece and function by function.

About 12 years ago, one of my best friends developed ALS. Less than a year later, he was dead. Watching him slowly (or quickly, depending on how you look at it) deteriorate from using a cane to a walker to a wheel chair to being bed ridden and being barely able to speak and move his eyes was gut wrenching. At the end, he couldn't do anything but move his eyes. I can't imagine the horror of knowing your body was continuing to shut down, day by day, piece by piece and function by function.
I’d go see Dr Smith & Wesson a month or two into the diagnosis.

Reactions: JDHoss
Ever since I saw Creepshow, I’ve thought being buried in the sand with only your head sticking out ala Ted Danson while the high tide starts slowing coming until it overwhelms you and you drown has got to be absolutely terrible.

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT