ADVERTISEMENT

attendance for the game tomorrow

Was just reading an ESPN column on declining attendance, and saw this:

1. Fallen blue-bloods. From 2005 to 2017, five schools -- Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, UCLA and USC -- averaged 82,902 per game in home attendance. In 2018, they averaged 70,472. Only one of these storied programs (Florida) reached bowl eligibility.

In particular, USC's attendance has plummeted to crisis levels: 91,480 in 2006; 87,945 in 2012; 68,459 in 2016; 55,449 in 2018.

Man, attendance is down everywhere - but that decline at USC is shocking. And I know they were on top of the world during the Pete Carroll years. Still. Certainly befits that LA bandwagon stereotype....

FSU ran a $24M defiicit in athletic budget last year, only sold about 24,000 season tickets this year. It is like the bottom has dropped out of live attendance everywhere at once, save for the biggest most compelling events/games. By comparison, the tickets for the British Open in Ireland were a complete sellout a year in advance.

FSU ran a $24M defiicit in athletic budget last year, only sold about 24,000 season tickets this year. It is like the bottom has dropped out of live attendance everywhere at once, save for the biggest most compelling events/games. By comparison, the tickets for the British Open in Ireland were a complete sellout a year in advance.

British Open in Ireland is a horrible comparison...it is their national championship in golf! A better comparison would be like buying tickets to see Tanya Tucker & The Osmonds perform a 3 hour show.
While some might enjoy it, nobody is gonna rush out and buy tickets and get excited!

They must sell beer on the course. :)

It's football, not basketball. Kroger field will be rocking.
Ha. I have been yelled at plenty of times at football for standing. Two years ago we went to vandy and a UK fan got pissed and moved to the top of the stadium because I hadn't sit down after the third play. He asked if I planned to stand the entire game and I said yeah. He started yelling stuff at me as he left. He was a real jewel for sure.

Was just reading an ESPN column on declining attendance, and saw this:

1. Fallen blue-bloods. From 2005 to 2017, five schools -- Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, UCLA and USC -- averaged 82,902 per game in home attendance. In 2018, they averaged 70,472. Only one of these storied programs (Florida) reached bowl eligibility.

When you have the kind of seasons UT, UCLA, USC and FSU had last year you're lucky to have 10,000 per game.

The ability to watch almost any game in HD on 55"+ TV with instant replay with commentary in the comforts of home has at least contributed.

Ha. I have been yelled at plenty of times at football for standing. Two years ago we went to vandy and a UK fan got pissed and moved to the top of the stadium because I hadn't sit down after the third play. He asked if I planned to stand the entire game and I said yeah. He started yelling stuff at me as he left. He was a real jewel for sure.

You're one rude dude! Blocking others for the entire game is just being arrogant.

Last edited:
Wife works at UK and we picked up tickets in upper deck for $25 (plus $7.xx in fees) earlier in the week. She checked before leaving today. 100s of tickets still left in some sections.

Today they also offered some pick-3 employee packages for future games. Not sure if they need to try new avenues to get more fans in or if they are just being more accommodating to the employees.

Florida game next weekend will be standing room only!
Maybe not even standing room only.

39wcg1.jpg

Fans standing or not standing is part of the "live in the stands" experience. It has been going on my whole game attending life. Don't let it get to ya.
Arguments like that is part of the reason there is no beer sold at games.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: ukgrad2004
Older people can't stand the entire game. And lots of others can't either. That's why you get a seat.
Hell, at least the older people attend, spend their money, and support the program. I don’t exactly see many, if any, college age people even showing up, much less standing up.

Actually, the few young people I do notice are usually sitting and staring at their phones.

BTW, you don’t have to stand up to cheer. I can scream and clap sitting down and make more noise than the asshole standing in front of me with his arms crossed.

Last edited:
Older people can't stand the entire game. And lots of others can't either. That's why you get a seat.

We talk about atmosphere here all the time people bitch and moan about attendance, atmosphere at football games and basketball games then people bitch at the ones standing and yelling. My question is what the hell do people want? I don’t care if people sit, stand, or whatever. But I get tired of hearing people bitch about atmosphere at games then bitch about people standing and making noise. I don’t stand the whole time I’m at a game but I don’t care if the people in front of me do.

They are robbing Peter to pay Paul. They show all the games on tv for big tv revenue and they lose the live attendance. Used to you had to go to the games to get to see them. Now most are televised.

There’s a whole lot of time during a football game where absolutely nothing is going on. If the person in front of you is that person that wants to stand all the time, you can stand up during the action to see and still be sitting a helluva lot.

Reactions: merrimanm
You're one rude dude! Blocking others for the entire game is just being arrogant.
Arrogant. No!! It's called I paid for my ticket and believe in standing and cheering for my team all game. So since I paid for it, I will cheer as I please. If you don't want to hear people cheer and create a great atmosphere, then stay home.

Just standing for the game blocks others view. Not considering others is rude.
So kind of like you are doing. You expect people to cater to what you want and not respecting the fact that they bought their ticket to use how they please, but you're mad because they don't cater to you. Talking about rude.

There’s a whole lot of time during a football game where absolutely nothing is going on. If the person in front of you is that person that wants to stand all the time, you can stand up during the action to see and still be sitting a helluva lot.
Fact. You get about 30 three minute breaks a game not counting coaches timeouts, halftime, and between quarters.

Reactions: Tskware
Arrogant. No!! It's called I paid for my ticket and believe in standing and cheering for my team all game. So since I paid for it, I will cheer as I please. If you don't want to hear people cheer and create a great atmosphere, then stay home.
If you stand for every single play you’re a complete asshole.

I stand and cheer when our defense has a third down situation and a chance to force a punt.

I stand when the moment calls for it. Smart football fans know when to stand and when it’s stupid to stand.

If I recall I think you’re a smart fan, so you know what I’m talking about.

I don’t want some idiot standing in front of me when we have 1st and 15 after a false start.

If you stand for every single play you’re a complete asshole.

I stand and cheer when our defense has a third down situation and a chance to force a punt.

I stand when the moment calls for it. Smart football fans know when to stand and when it’s stupid to stand.

If I recall I think you’re a smart fan, so you know what I’m talking about.

I don’t want some idiot standing in front of me when we have 1st and 15 after a false start.
Look at the fans at the big programs that win championships. Growing up in Alabama I have been to the iron bowl, Bama vs. LSU, Auburn vs. UGA and so many other big games. Those people don't just stand on third downs or when it is smart. I think they know a little about football and atmosphere.

Reactions: cbp220
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT