ADVERTISEMENT

At Cal game watching Marcus Lee...

Mime-Is-Money

All-SEC
Gold Member
May 29, 2002
Cal is bad. Real bad.

Marcus not doing much. Active but ineffective.

Central Arkansas leads by 24 (!)

Lee so far - 10 pts 5 bds 3 blocks 3 fouls

He’s a crowd favorite though

Update : Cal down by 30...to Central Arkansas

Last edited:
Love the guy, will always remember his contribution against UM in the ‘14 run.

Feel bad for him in this situation. He came to Cal to play with Martin. Team experienced nearly 100% turnover from last year.

I’ll be surprised if Cal wins more than 2 Pac12 games. They terrible. But so is Washington St and Oregon St.

Reactions: wcc31
He isn't a very good player. Simple as that. Love the kid though . Such a great guy who is all about serving the community.
Actually, it isn't quite as simple as that. When a coach signs a player, he is looking at what kind of player he can become, and how he will fit in. Coaches look for basic talent, coachability, room for improvement. Lee has length, big time hops, and actually tries too defend. It was always a question of whether Lee could add some muscle and learn to score. If Lee had any scoring skills, he would be a pretty good player. Some players improve. Lee didn't, so he was passed up by younger UK players.

Reactions: awf
A great kid. An asset to any team and community. Sorry he left but that's home.
The above post is correct. Which is what is wrong with one and done recruiting. Especially Cal's recruiting. I love the star power of 5star recruits yearly but I hate seeing quality kids get passed by because they took too long to improve.
If he never improves or gets to that top level, that's on the recruiting process and coaching IMO.

Reactions: Montana81
HE really would have complimented Bam really well last year. Willis/Hump/Gabriel could never take that other front-court spot because they were not able to run with Fox and Monk's speed. Lee would have been able to provide that speed along with some rim protection.

I liked Lee when he played for UK. He is just an example of a young man making choices for himself. A kid has to ask himself...do I want to sit on a winning team or play on a losing team? He is getting to play on a bad team.....he made his choice and seems to be enjoying himself.

Reactions: rodserling
Cal is now 3-6, Lee won't ever play in another NCAA tournament game, and the coach he transferred in to play for is at Missouri.

Turns out that green grass had a land mine under it.

Dude could have won a title last year at Kentucky too.

Smh

He isn't a very good player. Simple as that. Love the kid though . Such a great guy who is all about serving the community.
People acting like he would have made a difference on last years team just boggles my mind. Maybe from a leadership stand point or helping to teach the freshman in practices he could have been beneficial. I just don’t think he ever has been nor will be a solid player. Good kid tho.

A great kid. An asset to any team and community. Sorry he left but that's home.
The above post is correct. Which is what is wrong with one and done recruiting. Especially Cal's recruiting. I love the star power of 5star recruits yearly but I hate seeing quality kids get passed by because they took too long to improve.
If he never improves or gets to that top level, that's on the recruiting process and coaching IMO.
Some kids just aren’t good enough. It sucks but that is life. Marcus never improved any aspect of his game while here. He was good at getting offensive rebounds but couldn’t do anything with it when he got it. I’m sorry but he had ample opportunity to grow and succeed.

i feel bad for him to be honest. I know he transferred back to be closer to home but to see Cuonzo Martin leave before Lee ever played a game hurt. Team would have at least been better. wish him the best though.

With the way fouls were called on UK in the UNC game last year Lee wouldn't have played 2 minutes. He seems like a great dude and I wish him the best but I don't think he was the difference in that loss.

That said though he was also great in the champions classic against Duke a couple years ago. He terrorized Grayson Allen every time he drove the ball, I think Allen started the game like 0-10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT