ADVERTISEMENT

As of right now, I have changed my mind.

I agree, it also occurred to me today that I wonder how many uncontested shots the Zags got off last night? I thought about re-watching the game but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Seems to my they got a ton of them(running a good play or breakdown on our part) These shots came from all levels 3's, mid range and lay-ups
Yeah, agreed. I think against a team like Gonzaga, when they're making shots, you can only do so much defensively. Don't get me wrong, the defense, especially at the beginning of the game just wasn't even close to what it needs to be. But they were gonna score 80 last night on anyone. Our biggest problem is not making shots. We made some in the 2nd half but it was too late. You can't let a good team build that big a lead. It was over at the half, maybe earlier than that. I'm so mad I can't think rationally right now about it. I might be able to think logically in a couple days. Sorry man.

Reactions: docholiday51
Yeah, agreed. I think against a team like Gonzaga, when they're making shots, you can only do so much defensively. Don't get me wrong, the defense, especially at the beginning of the game just wasn't even close to what it needs to be. But they were gonna score 80 last night on anyone. Our biggest problem is not making shots. We made some in the 2nd half but it was too late. You can't let a good team build that big a lead. It was over at the half, maybe earlier than that. I'm so mad I can't think rationally right now about it. I might be able to think logically in a couple days. Sorry man.
I have to disagree with this. We were making so many elementary mistakes. They got shots behind our guys, their picks resulted in 2 defenders on one player instead of fighting through or switching. We gave up the baseline. We have put 3 pointers with defenders not within every 5 feet, we reached and fouled, we leaned into shooters, we didn’t talk, bad footwork, got lost off ball. It was very very bad. There was no pride in that defense. There was no intimidation.

A competent defense would have kept them from scoring at will. It would have slowed them down.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I have to disagree with this. We were making so many elementary mistakes. They got shots behind our guys, their picks resulted in 2 defenders on one player instead of fighting through or switching. We gave up the baseline. We have put 3 pointers with defenders not within every 5 feet, we reached and fouled, we leaned into shooters, we didn’t talk, bad footwork, got lost off ball. It was very very bad. There was no pride in that defense. There was no intimidation.

A competent defense would have kept them from scoring at will. It would have slowed them down.
You may be right bass. The defense was very bad, no doubt, especially early.

Reactions: kybassfan
You may be right bass. The defense was very bad, no doubt, especially early.
Cal refuses to run anything but M2M defense. Thus he's predictable and easy to prepare for and disrupt. Until he learns to switch defenses we will be dog meat for any team with a pulse. The SEC is going to eat us alive this season.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Cal refuses to run anything but M2M defense. Thus he's predictable and easy to prepare for and disrupt. Until he learns to switch defenses we will be dog meat for any team with a pulse. The SEC is going to eat us alive this season.
Got to learn to play man to man first. The Sags will shred a poor zone inside and out.

Don't drink the Cal-aid...

cal-aid.png
Dude I don’t know if Ive told you before but , you have real talent.

I saw one thing that was exploited and elementary. Why is your worst shooter on the same side of the floor as your big man? Brings the double team to easy.

Yeah I’m not ready to jump off a bridge yet with this team. It’s November. UNC looked like an NIT hopeful this time last year. Some of y’all have shown your asses to the extreme. Was I pissed that I hauled ass out to Indy after work and drive home with the L and didn’t get home until 230am and had to be up 5 hours later for work? No!! I was not pissed. I stole some amazing seats and got to see a double OT game. Didn’t go the way I wanted, was not at all happy with the product I saw, but it was awesome that I got to experience another Champions Classic. It had been since 2015 in Chicago vs. Duke.

As for Gonzaga, I didn’t feel great at all about having a game on Thursday and a quick turnaround on the West coast. Team wasn’t ready for it, straight up. We lost to Gonzaga, not Portland St. might I remind as well. Yeah we were dogshit from tip to the final buzzer, but it was against a good team who had just been embarrassed earlier in the week. Friendly confines for them. Some will just say excuses, excuses, excuses. Some of y’all forget the other team wants to win too. Other teams aren’t gonna lay down for our Cats just because we love them. I’ve been around long enough that I’ve seen good teams get housed early and people just write them off. Shit what UK did to Kansas just back in January was 2x as violent as what Gonzaga just did to us. Idk, throw your damn hissy fits. I’m just gonna watch it play out and be glad I’m a Kentucky fan and not an Indiana or UL fan.

There is nothing wrong with this team. They are as talented as any. All the problems has to do with coaching.

Reactions: Gromcat
Yes, it's November again...just like it was in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021....

I mean, we've been saying the same things for the last seven years.
We looked better in November than March in some of those years.

Yes, it's November again...just like it was in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021....

I mean, we've been saying the same things for the last seven years.
And in 2016 we saw the team lose a heartbreaker to the eventual national champ in the Elite 8. And in 2018 we saw the team lose in OT in the Elite 8. In 2019 the team was in pretty good shape come tournament time before Covid canceled it. I wouldn't exactly call those teams failures. And obviously no one liked to lose last year, but that team was rolling before injuries derailed things and sometimes you just get bit by the madness of March. Finally happened to us just like it's happened to Duke, Kansas, Virginia, Villanova, etc. in recent years.

More often than not, when we say "it's just November" the team is in great shape come March and has good a shot as any other team in the country to win it all.

Reactions: megablue
we can make some noise in march? THE F**K are we we that low? You dont see UNC or Duke, Kansas, Arizona fans or big time teams fans saying make some noise... no they say we can win the title and we're now to the level of a small fry just hoping to make noise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT