ADVERTISEMENT

As Being Reported on SEC Now Is Ray Davis DEFINITELY SITTING Out The Bowl Game

Haven’t read this whole thread and hope I’m not repealing but if we do play in the mayonaise bowl it’s a shame Levis cant play . Didn’t he sign a contract giving him a lifetime supply .

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I don't like it but I get it for rbs especially ones not leaving early.

I think player should have a deadline to declare that ends before bowl reservation deadlines. Strictly speaking, it's a bait and switch to have players hold those announcements until after the deadline. They know they're giving the consumers a different product than the one they expect was bought

Hopefully future NIL deals will require players to play in bowl games.
I’m sure if it was a playoff they would but outside that and a couple select other bowls. They don’t care. There’s like 50 bowls. Way too many that mean nothing. A bowl should be an accomplishment, not an auto reward for being .500. Nobody cares about the Dirt Sweeper 500 bowl.

When the 12 team playoff structure starts next season I expect to see a lot more players sitting out bowl games, as these games will take on a much less level of importance, and will be even more viewed as meaningless exhibition games. In fact over time I expect to see a rapid decline in bowl games as fans and players lose interest.

I’m sure if it was a playoff they would but outside that and a couple select other bowls. They don’t care. There’s like 50 bowls. Way too many that mean nothing. A bowl should be an accomplishment, not an auto reward for being .500. Nobody cares about the Dirt Sweeper 500 bowl.

The playoff going to 12 is great. All these who gives a crap bowls become even more irrelevant.

Reactions: know1 and Fox2monk
Sucks, but with the way one injury can ruin your NFL chances, I get it. He earned it by destroying Louisville. Jefferson has looked good in relief, and we can see some young guys.

Reactions: sefus12
The playoff going to 12 is great. All these who gives a crap bowls become even more irrelevant.
The playoff will eventually expand to probably 24 one day honestly. That should be every bowl. That’s 48 teams who have a shot. They could structure it to where higher seeds get double byes and byes or something and have a couple week long festival around it. Tons of money.

Reactions: Ugoff
The playoff will eventually expand to probably 24 one day honestly. That should be every bowl. That’s 48 teams who have a shot. They could structure it to where higher seeds get double byes and byes or something and have a couple week long festival around it. Tons of money.

FCS is at 24 teams. Idk if I see division 1 getting there. 16 I can see.

Some on this board don't like it going to 12 and will bitch to heavens if it went to 16 or 24. Dont get that logic. That gives UK a chance some seasons to be a part of the playoff.

Why??? Posters who want players to risk their future in meaningless bowl games must still use rotary phones at home!

A non NY6 bowl with no championship implications are a gift for the fans and give a program some extra practices for young players.

I’ll never understand why fans think players with NFL potential should risk their futures for a meaningless game.

Skipping our bowl game is not like a soldier refusing to go into battle!

FCS is at 24 teams. Idk if I see division 1 getting there. 16 I can see.

Some on this board don't like it going to 12 and will bitch to heavens if it went to 16 or 24. Dont get that logic. That gives UK a chance some seasons to be a part of the playoff.
It’s all about $, if they powers that be see the $ it will happen.

Only that you represent the organization that’s paying you. No football language, or pay for play can exist.
I bet that changes at some point. Those pushing out the money won’t be happy is a large enough portion of kids take the money a dip like the kid at Louisville I’d think. Maybe not play? I guess in Football that would be tough since there is so many players for spots in the pros and 3 year commitment to college anyway.

That’s coming.

Honestly it’s a good reason to keep UL as that final OoC game. At least maybe a heated rivalry will be incentive for some of these guys to play. Put Eastern BFE State in that final game and a lot more guys would opt out if game had little to no bearing on the season.

Reactions: gojvc
I'd say it matters to to the rest of his team that he worked with / slept with / traveled with etc for 12 months . They want to win .

Reactions: secrules3
You ain't kiddin....the next step of this NIL/potal bullcrap is dudes sitting out regular season games. Like why does Ray need to play in any game after the Tennessee loss....that officially put UK out of SEC East (practically the loss to UGA in week 6 did).....but where does this I'm not playing end at ?

But I'll not spend any of my time or money on a bowl game......why even play them if it's a glorified blue/white game like the Music City fiasco last year.
Should lose 25% due to the high profile nature of a bowl.

Reactions: secrules3
More practice for the young kids and more snaps for them against another team. We need more practice!

Don't think that'll ever happen.
If anything players might sign separate deals for the bowls but, it doesn't make sense for a kid to risk his NFL future for a few thousand dollars extra for playing a meaningless game.

Reactions: sefus12
I actually don’t think any seniors should play unless they want to. This bowl is meaningless and should strictly be practice and experience for guys that will tee it up against Miss southern next August 31.
The bowl the 8 or ninth place team goes to is a joke anyway .

Don't think that'll ever happen.
If anything players might sign separate deals for the bowls but, it doesn't make sense for a kid to risk his NFL future for a few thousand dollars extra for playing a meaningless game.
While I agree then why don't players just quit during the season after we're eliminated from the division championship? Why wait til the regular season is over? Is a 7-5 season so much more important to the players than a 6-6 season? Using the bowl logic, it doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: Girthang
While I agree then why don't players just quit during the season after we're eliminated from the division championship? Why wait til the regular season is over? Is a 7-5 season so much more important to the players than a 6-6 season? Using the bowl logic, it doesn't make any sense.
Sure it makes sense. I think most players view the regular season as not being over until the 12 game season is over. Thus, players and coaches view a player as a quitter if he steps away for non-medical/emergency reasons.

This may be a generational gap, but players (AND coaches) don’t perceive non NY6 bowls as consequential games. Sure, they want to win. But coaches will leave decision to play up to each player, and will not disparage a kid for not playing.

I will agree this was unheard of a decade ago. I don’t know when the thought change occurred. I just know it occurred and coaches gave their blessing. I wish they played, but I understand why some choose not to play.

I actually don’t think any seniors should play unless they want to. This bowl is meaningless and should strictly be practice and experience for guys that will tee it up against Miss southern next August 31.
The bowl the 8 or ninth place team goes to is a joke anyway .
Am starting to feel the same way....Any seniors that feel they need to audition or prove anything to scouts and want to play, then come on'...

Someone like Sweet Baby Ray, all he needs to do is send the scouts his UL game tape.... with a note: "See ya'll at the combine"

Otherwise, let those guys who have gone to practice and trying to move up the dept chart play.... Of course it will be an ugly, meaningless game..... but as everyone else has said, anything short of the BCS will be meaningless.

Davis needs to go ahead and shut it down for the season. He's apparently been playing hurt all year and needs to get healthy for the combine and his shot at the NFL draft.

He's got zero left to prove by playing in a lower tier bowl game

The dude basically carried the offense most of the season, when he was able to get some touches.

In the right scheme, Davis can have a good NFL career. He catches the ball well and can block well. He won't have to be RB1, and can be productive as part of a rotation.

totally all in on NIL requiring bowl game participation
This should ABSOLUTELY b part of the NIL contract. Either you play for your team that you spent the ENTIRE season getting to where we are or you forfeit the money. No more of this turning into a *me* thing when you've been paid all year long and now try to sit out a game that's extremely important to the vast majority of the team and university.

I bet that changes at some point. Those pushing out the money won’t be happy is a large enough portion of kids take the money a dip like the kid at Louisville I’d think. Maybe not play? I guess in Football that would be tough since there is so many players for spots in the pros and 3 year commitment to college anyway.

Yeah it will. The NIL ruling was one step out of maybe four towards straight up paying players.

If you’ll notice, most every state legalizes medical marijuana before recreational. Affordable care act was a small step towards universal health care. You always make the small steps towards a larger goal. We’re just in the weird meantime now.

Reactions: FltDoc and Girthang
Why play any game using the logic of half the people in here. You either play or don't be a part of the team if you vag is that leaky. Get some balls and support your fellow teammates and University that GAVE YOU A FREE EDUCATION on top of the NIL deal that you got paid for. Be a fk'n man...

• Love
Reactions: Girthang and K_TIME
I’d like them to play but I understand them not. And until I see players being upset that their teammates are sitting out I won’t be too upset when guys sit out.

I will never accept anyone admonishing me as a fan expecting players to play in bowl games. It is not selfish. It is not unreasonable. What is selfish and unreasonable is players picking and choosing whether they’ll bother to participate based on a notion of “protecting their future.”

There is a give and take here. Players are GIVEN the platform to play and create the opportunities for their professional careers by the university. They are GIVEN coaching, training, support resources, housing, food, and amenities not afforded to average students. And in this new era they are outright GIVEN significant amounts of money not just for their NIL, but because of their being part of the university they chose to attend.

It is not unreasonable to expect a player to finish a season. Can a player be forced to play? Of course not. But we can damn sure call it out for what it is when a player ducks out from finishing the season.

How is the money from the collective split?
That I don’t know for sure. If I had to take a guess, there is someone that represents the football team that communicates with the collective about who should get money and how much they believe they should get. Then the collective takes it from there.

I will never accept anyone admonishing me as a fan expecting players to play in bowl games. It is not selfish. It is not unreasonable. What is selfish and unreasonable is players picking and choosing whether they’ll bother to participate based on a notion of “protecting their future.”

There is a give and take here. Players are GIVEN the platform to play and create the opportunities for their professional careers by the university. They are GIVEN coaching, training, support resources, housing, food, and amenities not afforded to average students. And in this new era they are outright GIVEN significant amounts of money not just for their NIL, but because of their being part of the university they chose to attend.

It is not unreasonable to expect a player to finish a season. Can a player be forced to play? Of course not. But we can damn sure call it out for what it is when a player ducks out from finishing the season.
I agree with what you said, but we also live in the era of meaningless bowl games that are nothing more than exhibition games as a reward for having a mediocre season. Its a money making scheme for TV revenues.

See my message from yesterday (Ray Davis). SEC showed a social media post from Ray saying yesterday was his last college game.

Loved that kid! Wish we had another year of him in UK blue. Wish he was going to be playing and at the bowl game, but understand him not playing if he's not going to play in college next season. May not travel to this one if he and others sit this one out

I think you're justified in feeling that way. It always disappoints me when players do this. It's not a team first attitude, and it seems to hurt the draft stock of people who do opt out.

When the 12 team playoff structure starts next season I expect to see a lot more players sitting out bowl games, as these games will take on a much less level of importance, and will be even more viewed as meaningless exhibition games. In fact over time I expect to see a rapid decline in bowl games as fans and players lose interest.

The perception of these bowls being meaningless sucks. It diminishes the sport for me, as that was something I always looked forward to every year. Bowl season was special

I'm losing interest in the players losing interest

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT