ADVERTISEMENT

As Being Reported on SEC Now Is Ray Davis DEFINITELY SITTING Out The Bowl Game

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
Supposedly SEC Now that Ray Davis was quoted as saying yesterday‘s U of L game was his last and he was sitting out the upcoming bowl game. Does anyone know if this is correct? That would definitely hurt our chances of winning and what are the running back could step up to possibly fill his shoes?

I don't like it....healthy players should play out the season and the bowl game is part of the season. But Ray has been a very good RB for 1 year and glad he got a year with UK when we needed it.

But let's get back to developing our own RB so we don't need portal RBs.

Supposedly SEC Now that Ray Davis was quoted as saying yesterday‘s U of L game was his last and he was sitting out the upcoming bowl game. Does anyone know if this is correct? That would definitely hurt our chances of winning and what are the running back could step up to possibly fill his shoes?
No surprise whatsoever.

Jamarion Wilcox can play in our bowl game. His hamstring muscle should be healed by now. DSK will be there, and Ramon Jefferson and Jutahn McClain will probably be there. As usual, we will play well if our OL plays well and vice versa.

Hopefully future NIL deals will require players to play in bowl games.
You ain't kiddin....the next step of this NIL/potal bullcrap is dudes sitting out regular season games. Like why does Ray need to play in any game after the Tennessee loss....that officially put UK out of SEC East (practically the loss to UGA in week 6 did).....but where does this I'm not playing end at ?

But I'll not spend any of my time or money on a bowl game......why even play them if it's a glorified blue/white game like the Music City fiasco last year.

Running backs have a short shelf life especially once in the NFL. No hard feeling from me if he decides to sit out the bowl game. Young man is a heck of a good player and hope my Cowboys draft him think the Bengals would be a good spot also.

Reactions: Stevo1951
See my message from yesterday (Ray Davis). SEC showed a social media post from Ray saying yesterday was his last college game.

• Sad
Reactions: Girthang
Bowl games are meaningless are supposed to be a reward for the players. Why would anyone expect him to play or be upset if he doesn't. If I were a coach I would use the game to get ready for next season and focus on playing a bunch of young guys to get them experience.

I don't like it....healthy players should play out the season and the bowl game is part of the season. But Ray has been a very good RB for 1 year and glad he got a year with UK when we needed it.

But let's get back to developing our own RB so we don't need portal RBs.
Problem with this is that developed RBs will also probably head to the portal. It's just begun - we won't know most kids for more than year at a time as these kids are always looking for greener grass, and the portal gives them options.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Bowl games are meaningless exhibitions except for a select few. With the playoff going to 12 it may be a select none going forward.

Davis was amazing this season and will miss him next season. I agree with other poster that if they are gonna keep having bowl games it needs to be a requirement of NIL that healthy players play. Or significantly dock their NIL if they dont play.

Cut out the middle men.....tv networks & bowl sponsors should pay bonuses for draftable upper classmen to participate in the bowls. Corporate sponsors, want high ratings, ESPN u want high ratings? Get out your wallets & pay the best players to show up.
Yea something needs to be done or the bowls will go away all together. Nobody is going to pay to go to a glorified scrimmage or watch on tv with so many viewing options. Pay up and make them fun again.

Would be disappointing if he sat out but running back is about the only position to me that makes sense to sit out and value your health. RB’s only have so many plays from scrimmage until their body breaks down.

With that said, I don’t know what his NFL prospects are as I don’t follow that kind of stuff outside of surefire 1st or 2nd rounders. Doesn’t make as much sense if he’s projected to go undrafted or be a 7th round pick to sit out.

You ain't kiddin....the next step of this NIL/potal bullcrap is dudes sitting out regular season games. Like why does Ray need to play in any game after the Tennessee loss....that officially put UK out of SEC East (practically the loss to UGA in week 6 did).....but where does this I'm not playing end at ?

But I'll not spend any of my time or money on a bowl game......why even play them if it's a glorified blue/white game like the Music City fiasco last year.
I agree with what you’re saying….if fear of injury was the reason, he (or whomever) would pull the plug on the season once their team was out of consideration for any serious bowl.

I think in this case, it’s the fact the bowl game isn’t until the end of December and he’s just done. He played the regular season and doesn’t want to stick around for another 4-5 weeks preparing for a game. He already has his bachelors degree from Vandy and is working on an undergraduate certificate. He can walk away and it has zero bearing on APR or him graduating.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Cut out the middle men.....tv networks & bowl sponsors should pay bonuses for draftable upper classmen to participate in the bowls. Corporate sponsors, want high ratings, ESPN u want high ratings? Get out your wallets & pay the best players to show up.
Yeah, at this point with NIL and everything, this is the way to keep the bowls relevant other than turning them into a preview of next season.

I completely see why he’d skip it. It’s what’s best for him.

But the Iowa game was a debacle. And with the SEC getting even harder, when’s the next bowl game ever going to happen that means enough that our guys don’t skip it?

And if you know you’re never going to a bowl that matters enough to play in, what’s really the difference in 8-4 or 7-5?

I have a feeling a lot of what these guys do for NIL money has already been done. If he’s fulfilled his obligation, why should the money stop?
What is the agreed upon obligation that is determined by taking NIL money?

This is what happens when you go to a crap bowl. The stars don't want to play and the fans don't really care about going. It becomes a development game.

I don't love the idea of him not playing but I definitely understand his decision. Running backs have short careers and he already has a lot of miles on his body. He needs to save what he has to make a buck in the NFL and secure his future.

Good luck to Ray Davis. Thanks for being a Cat.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT