ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas will find out why he’s there if true

I am not totally disagreeing on that point and am open to the reality that it could not be the best idea . I just makes sense to me at this stage of college basketball (he is not the only coach talking about this same concept either )
I also am not oblivious to what Cal brings to the table coaching wise( I honestly wanted Chris Beard ) although i think he is a better coach than what most Cat fans think.
"although i think he is a better coach than what most Cat fans think." Where have you been for the last 4 years that would make you think UK fans are somehow understating Cal's coaching ability?

He has to limit his numbers because he made all kinds of playing time promises already to get them there. Can’t wait to watch the drama.
At least he won't have to convince his players to go along with the numerous fake injuries routinely reported throughout the last 4 to 5 seasons. If one of his players got a hangnail or nicked his face while shaving, the player would miss at least 4 to 5 games.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
What is going to be interesting is to see how Arkansas handles injuries, you know, mysterious injuries that don't seem serious, amounting to weeks to months being out. Never knowing exactly what's wrong with the player as to why they are out so long. I don't ever want to see anyone injured but Kentucky had way too many for the young and in shape athletes to be out all the time with the trainers and medical availability our basketball program has.
They weren't real injuries. They were fake injuries used to manage playing time.

I think there has been some slight changes already the way he hit the TP . It was discussed on here that he never would have brought in Nelly Davis to Kentucky to take minutes away from his freshman . He also let Somto go and JQ wouldn't pay for (as well as UK) cause he knew he needed a more experienced front court .
As I said, VOLUNTARY changes. Anything he's changed down there isn't voluntary. He's had to do it. You'll see. Or not, depending on the individual. I feel badly for you guys. You really don't know what's in store.

Reactions: hmt5000
I still cannot agree that this is the best way to practice. There is benefit to practicing with the same players that play games together.
I think I agree with you.

But a lot of coaches like to have grown men practice against their team rather than the younger guys.

It's a preference thing for sure.

Cal has Arkansas fans saying it's good to have Grad assistants as practice players. Sounds like some guys on here saying it didn't matter who started. Cal has a way of selling bullshit. Looks like one of our own is still fooled by him. Ole DAHC still can't get over Cal's exit. Who will sell him used cars now?

Calipari’s strengths are recruiting and marketing his brand. He will do well at Arkansas because he will bring the talent and do an excellent job of getting his players into the NBA. Arkansas will start putting more and more players in the pros and many will be All Stars. Each year will be a new team to learn their names and you will only have them for that year. He has favorites and they will get priority over others, including players that are more skilled and have a higher analytical score.

During games you will see very little coaching. There are minimal adjustments, no player preparation and a lack of time spent on watching film on opposing players.
There will be frustrating losses and some stellar wins from time to time. Arkansas will be a players first school where winning is secondary.

I appreciate what Calipari did in his first 8-9 years. Those were great. The last 6-7 years have been disappointing. I respect Arkansas fans and hope that they do not get this Calipari as a coach. As someone else said, they deserve better.

I'll butt in here and I'm done on this It"s not about the Jimmy's and Joe's its about the Xs and Os with Cal
This is about as succinct an answer as you're gonna get. Calipari is gonna recruit highly rated, elite athletes, NBA prospects. That's what he does best. He's also pretty good at getting his teams to play for each other, even though they were all stars on their old teams. His problem is that he struggles when he has to adjust anything in games. If his initial plan doesn't work, he's gonna struggle figuring it out in real time. We've seen this from the beginning. In those early seasons at UK, he just had enough talent, superior to all others in college basketball, that those teams were very successful. Cal rarely had to make in game adjustments because those team were just that much better. But the game has changed. The transfer portal has created teams filled with talented and experienced guys. Teams of elite freshmen are unlikely to be successful. In game adjustments will be required. That's what Cal has been facing recently, and he has struggled.

Now, he's been forced with this move to Arkansas to use some transfer portal guys, which is good news for the Hogs. But how good is that team? If they're not the best, he will struggle. That's not sour grapes talking. It's just the reality UK fans have had to face with Cal.

This is about as succinct an answer as you're gonna get. Calipari is gonna recruit highly rated, elite athletes, NBA prospects. That's what he does best. He's also pretty good at getting his teams to play for each other, even though they were all stars on their old teams. His problem is that he struggles when he has to adjust anything in games. If his initial plan doesn't work, he's gonna struggle figuring it out in real time. We've seen this from the beginning. In those early seasons at UK, he just had enough talent, superior to all others in college basketball, that those teams were very successful. Cal rarely had to make in game adjustments because those team were just that much better. But the game has changed. The transfer portal has created teams filled with talented and experienced guys. Teams of elite freshmen are unlikely to be successful. In game adjustments will be required. That's what Cal has been facing recently, and he has struggled.

Now, he's been forced with this move to Arkansas to use some transfer portal guys, which is good news for the Hogs. But how good is that team? If they're not the best, he will struggle. That's not sour grapes talking. It's just the reality UK fans have had to face with Cal.
This entire idea makes me think the criticism about starting the wrong players bothered Calipari and he's doing this as a reaction. I think he wants a great starting lineup and 3-4 reserves good enough to rest starters but not threaten their playing time, which might lead to starters playing a lot of minutes and injuries and nobody to replace them when they happen. I'm also wondering if Davis will be as good when he's just told to go make a play instead of having plays run for him.

You will have a talented roster every year. You have a coach who won't watch opponents game film. Doesn't run any inbounds plays. Forces big guys to play back to the basket on offense. When they are not back to the basket players.
A coach who will not play anything but man to man. As you're guards continue to get bear on defense over and over.

You have a coach who will most likely get fired up for the Tennessee game. If you play them twice you will likely win one lose one. Because he is friends with UT coach and he considers that game a friendly rival between him and Barnes. So he cares more about preparing for that matchup.

Make no mistake he will care about the UK matchups. He will be up for that game. Last several years he would be good for 2-3 games a year where he actually coached a good game. The rest of the wins he got was due to his team's just simply having more talent.
You have a coach who doesn't care about winning championships. He cares about bragging about putting kids into the NBA.
You have a coach who will talk down and take cheap backhanded shots at your fans. If you dare to question anything.
You have a coach when you have a injury. We say when asked about the players availability. Will say. "I haven't seen him".

You have a coach who will have a terrible record against the top 25. Considering in most cases you will have more talent.
Lastly you have a coach who will help raise money for the state if you have a natural disaster. Which is great. It really is. But he will also remind you a million times that he did it.
^^^ I'll refer to this as the Cal Dossier ^^^

This sounds like some spin and an excuse for why he can't get the players he wants. If you only have 8 or 9 guys, you're depending on walk-ons for a scrimmage, which is not ideal.
You need some scrubs to practice. But 8 guys that can play are plenty. You can’t keep 11 guys that expect good minutes happy. Certainly not these days, if you ever could.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
The number is around 7 million . Some of the impact transfer guys are getting 1 mill plus . So lets say 3 guys are getting a million that leaves 4 mill to split up by 7 (if the roster is 10) . Lets say the 3 Freshman get 500,000 so that leaves 2,500,000 or 625,000 per for the remaining transfers . obviously this is not an exact science but n the money can go quick if you are wanting the top transfer portal guys and the top freshman . I'm sure when Cal accepted the Tysons had assured him he would have the funding to get top talent or he would have never left . One of the rumors and yall probably know better than us but was that he was not being supported in NIL for the transfer portal the way he thought he needed .
I'll let you in on another hot rumor: Cal tried using the talk w/ Tyson/Arky to leverage Barnhart for more control over NIL and was met w/ "You've been talking to Arky w/out first informing us? That's breach of contract; you're fired". So it wasn't so much that Cal left, as he was kicked to the curb. I wasn't privy to this meeting, so can't vouch for the veracity, but that is the rumor. Cal overplayed his hand and mitch called his bluff.

My expectations on the season aren't as high as you may think . I just want to make the tournament and let the cards fall where they may . I know I know he cant make it past the first weekend . Got it
Not that he can't make it out of the first weekend, but if he does next year that will be his first time visiting the 2nd weekend in, what, 6 years? At Kentucky...mull that over.

its been said before

even if Arkansas beats UK at Rupp or Arkansas goes to a final four

I won't give a damn because Cal is gone.

I'm all in on Pope, singing my Old Kentucky Home, having senior nights again and having a team that shows up for the SECT while not caring about the GD NBA.

If it takes him a couple of years to get it going, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

If I never have to hear Calipari's horseshit excuses and straight up lies again, it will be too soon

Last edited:
what is really sad is it took Cal having to leave his dream job, get labeled as washed in the national media and have to go to of all places Arkansas for him to at least attempt to be serious about winning basketball again.

He had become so complacent, so insulated, that he actually thought he could tank this program and still be beloved in this state.

Its good that Arkansas fans think he can bring them glory. His ego demands it. Clearly the number of UK fans that believed that were very, very small in number.

Cal had a chance to bring in a whole new staff, to update his approach, to re-dedicate himself to being the coach with a chip on his shoulder that pushed boundaries like he did at UMass and Memphis

Instead, he just packed up everything that wasn't working at UK and brought it to Arkansas, and arrogantly labeled it Cal University.

I mean, Arkansas fans have to at least have some pride - regardless of how great they thought he might be, the balls on this guy to tell everyone who will listen to him, its the same Kentucky program, he is just setting up shop in a new office. This roster statement just reinforces, hello new boss, same as the old boss.

and then the lack of objectivity to hear him say that and *believe* somehow he'll be different than what everyone has seen. What made him leave Kentucky to begin with? How many coaches leave the pinnacle of their career and end up being better?

People say Cal broke after 2015 or 2019 or whatever date

What broke Cal was Coach K. When Coach K decided he was going to get into the OAD business, and did it better than Cal, Cal was never going to win a NC again. Little did UK fans know just how badly that would crash.

Last edited:
its been said before

even if Arkansas beats UK at Rupp or Arkansas goes to a final four

I won't give a damn because Cal is gone.

I'm all in on Pope, singing my Old Kentucky Home, having senior nights again and having a team that shows up for the SECT while not caring about the GD NBA.

If it takes him a couple of years to get it going, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

If I ever have to hear Calipari's horseshit excuses and straight up lies again, it will be too soon
Cheer Applause GIF by Peanuts

This entire idea makes me think the criticism about starting the wrong players bothered Calipari and he's doing this as a reaction. I think he wants a great starting lineup and 3-4 reserves good enough to rest starters but not threaten their playing time, which might lead to starters playing a lot of minutes and injuries and nobody to replace them when they happen. I'm also wondering if Davis will be as good when he's just told to go make a play instead of having plays run for him.
Yeah, he says he ignores the criticism, but we know better. Sitting Sheppard and Dillingham is one of the dumbest things he's ever done, and in the end I think he did it out of spite, to prove the bennies and the media wrong. We see how that turned out. And he's looking even more foolish with Reed now considered #2 overall in the draft. Imagine, #2 overall pick sitting the bench to start both halves most every game. Starting behind or losing leads, and it happened multiple times.

But you may he right about the idea of limiting the roster to 8 elite guys. He doesn't want to hear he's sitting guys who could be better. And he's promised the highest rated guys the starts. But it could seriously bite him in the butt. Injuries immediately come to mind. And guys who looked good on paper who just aren't what they appeared to be. That happened many times at UK. If you've got only 8 guys, get an injury to one and possibly have a guy who just doesn't pan out, you're up the proverbial creek. 6 players, even great players, won't make a 40 game schedule at full strength.

But hey, Cal is gonna do what he does. He's gonna talk a lot. He's gonna recruit well. And in the end, he's gonna lose.

Won't players give more if they have competition for playing time? Won't players get better playing against scholarship players instead of walk ons? Isn't it better to be prepared for foul trouble and injuries?
Now, now. You're thinking logically. You can't do that when Cal is involved!!🤣

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Yeah, he says he ignores the criticism, but we know better. Sitting Sheppard and Dillingham is one of the dumbest things he's ever done, and in the end I think he did it out of spite, to prove the bennies and the media wrong. We see how that turned out. And he's looking even more foolish with Reed now considered #2 overall in the draft. Imagine, #2 overall pick sitting the bench to start both halves most every game. Starting behind or losing leads, and it happened multiple times.

But you may he right about the idea of limiting the roster to 8 elite guys. He doesn't want to hear he's sitting guys who could be better. And he's promised the highest rated guys the starts. But it could seriously bite him in the butt. Injuries immediately come to mind. And guys who looked good on paper who just aren't what they appeared to be. That happened many times at UK. If you've got only 8 guys, get an injury to one and possibly have a guy who just doesn't pan out, you're up the proverbial creek. 6 players, even great players, won't make a 40 game schedule at full strength.

But hey, Cal is gonna do what he does. He's gonna talk a lot. He's gonna recruit well. And in the end, he's gonna lose.
If you read Cal's latest interview, he is actually taking credit for Reed Sheppard improving from a 4 star player who came in not expecting to play many minutes, to a first round NBA draft pick.

Cal worked his NBA magic on Reed. Just ask him.

Can’t believe there are still people who do not understand Calipari did not want to be at Arkansas. He’s miserable. He tried to use their offers to pretend he would leave if Barnhart and the fans didn’t back up and let him hire Brad as well as other aspects. When it didn’t work and Barnhart used the breach of contract, he did everything he could to agree to changes but Kentucky wanted none of it. He at Arkansas because he was essentially fired. This has not only been substantiated using common sense, it’s been verified by two very close influential boosters that I know personally,
One that actually used to post on this board.

Arkansas won’t spend what we will on basketball they have enough trouble keeping up in football and their biggest boosters don’t even contribute. It’s all for show. Calipari will be at war with them after 3 years, and unlike UK, Arkansas isn’t a big enough brand to survive him.

Earth to idiot, you have had Cal as a coach for about 30 seconds and you think that somehow gives you some special insight about a clown that we have dealt with for 15 years? However, Cal might be the smartest person in Arkansas which isn't a compliment to Cal or you. Lol
Earth to idiot LOLOL .

Can’t believe there are still people who do not understand Calipari did not want to be at Arkansas. He’s miserable. He tried to use their offers to pretend he would leave if Barnhart and the fans didn’t back up and let him hire Brad as well as other aspects. When it didn’t work and Barnhart used the breach of contract, he did everything he could to agree to changes but Kentucky wanted none of it. He at Arkansas because he was essentially fired. This has not only been substantiated using common sense, it’s been verified by two very close influential boosters that I know personally,
One that actually used to post on this board.

Arkansas won’t spend what we will on basketball they have enough trouble keeping up in football and their biggest boosters don’t even contribute. It’s all for show. Calipari will be at war with them after 3 years, and unlike UK, Arkansas isn’t a big enough brand to survive him.
Just in case you didn't know . Santa or the Easter bunny is not real . Nor is the tooth fairy LOLOL WOW

I'll let you in on another hot rumor: Cal tried using the talk w/ Tyson/Arky to leverage Barnhart for more control over NIL and was met w/ "You've been talking to Arky w/out first informing us? That's breach of contract; you're fired". So it wasn't so much that Cal left, as he was kicked to the curb. I wasn't privy to this meeting, so can't vouch for the veracity, but that is the rumor. Cal overplayed his hand and mitch called his bluff.
The propaganda machine at its finest . No coach would ever leave the great Kentucky on his own ! Fact is the fans did want to fire him and wanted him to go into broadcasting , retire or at least to another conference . Cal just beat yall to it and you cant stand it .

• Haha
Reactions: lazycat75
what is really sad is it took Cal having to leave his dream job, get labeled as washed in the national media and have to go to of all places Arkansas for him to at least attempt to be serious about winning basketball again.

He had become so complacent, so insulated, that he actually thought he could tank this program and still be beloved in this state.

Its good that Arkansas fans think he can bring them glory. His ego demands it. Clearly the number of UK fans that believed that were very, very small in number.

Cal had a chance to bring in a whole new staff, to update his approach, to re-dedicate himself to being the coach with a chip on his shoulder that pushed boundaries like he did at UMass and Memphis

Instead, he just packed up everything that wasn't working at UK and brought it to Arkansas, and arrogantly labeled it Cal University.

I mean, Arkansas fans have to at least have some pride - regardless of how great they thought he might be, the balls on this guy to tell everyone who will listen to him, its the same Kentucky program, he is just setting up shop in a new office. This roster statement just reinforces, hello new boss, same as the old boss.

and then the lack of objectivity to hear him say that and *believe* somehow he'll be different than what everyone has seen. What made him leave Kentucky to begin with? How many coaches leave the pinnacle of their career and end up being better?

People say Cal broke after 2015 or 2019 or whatever date

What broke Cal was Coach K. When Coach K decided he was going to get into the OAD business, and did it better than Cal, Cal was never going to win a NC again. Little did UK fans know just how badly that would crash.

He did EXACTLY what Tubby did. They told him to upgrade his staff and instead of doing it, he went somewhere that would allow his son to coach with him. It's EXACTLY how Tubby slithered out of town.

Last edited:
The propaganda machine at its finest . No coach would ever leave the great Kentucky on his own ! Fact is the fans did want to fire him and wanted him to go into broadcasting , retire or at least to another conference . Cal just beat yall to it and you cant stand it .
lol, so 23K showed up for a new era while 5K outside got turned away but we were really curled up in a ball, hurt by Cal?

You're making a fool of yourself here.

If you really think that’s how it went down then bless your heart, you do you, boo
Personally, I couldn’t care less where he went as long as he wasn’t here
I’m excited for a new era in Kentucky basketball

OK...believe what you want. You haven't figured it out yet, but y'all've bought damaged goods and this isn't wal-mart--no returns!

Just in case you didn't know . Santa or the Easter bunny is not real . Nor is the tooth fairy LOLOL WOW

It’s some of the dumbest crap I’ve ever heard. Jerry jones doesn’t give a rats ass about Arkansas.

Whats funny is I realize you idiots are having a good time feeling important and having your name linked to UK, eating it up thinking you finally arrived. But you didn’t. Cal doesn’t want to be there, he f’d up bad and we ran his ass out. It means less than nothing and you won’t win sht. Nobody. And I mean nobody, gives a damn about Arkansas including John Calipari. It’ll be a small little window of having your name attached in a small way to UK and its former coach and it’s over, but let me tell you why this is really bad for you. Kentucky is Kentucky, cal couldn’t kill the program and he loves programs he leaves sucking without him. He will never let Arkansas breath, they’re too small of a program and name to survive his methods. You will be worse in the end than you were before he got there. Think Memphis, and how they never recovered. That’s your future. I was there in the flesh when he flushed Memphis I’ve followed the guy for decades. Yall just don’t know it.

Now when this happens do not run off, you come back here and admit it. Arkansas has been trying to get UK and the brand to rub off on your program for years. You make up a fake rivalry with UK and nobody at UK has ever cared, nobody nationally considers it. you’ve hired our former players and coaches, nobody cares. Arkansas is just an average every day whatever program but Calipari is gonna bury you in the end. Trust me, he will not want Arkansas to win past his time. He’s a psychopathic lunatic and you have no idea what you’ve done lol.

Get outa here this is the blue blood table. We kicked his ass down there to you, enjoy our scraps. The way your fans are so delighted to be linked to UK (and not really in a good way) is showing. Imagine a fan base being happy that they hired a UK coach at the end of his career who was essentially fired and doesn’t win. That’s how bad Arkansas wants relevance. Sorry man it’s a meaningless program in both sports. I do appreciate one thing though, Calipari is beyond embarrassed to be there and it’s so obvious it’s barely amusing, but I’ve enjoyed watching him be thrown to the trash bin he finally got what’s been coming to him for decades. I will always and do appreciate that. You have our thanks for that, this has been what he’s deserved for years.

Last edited:
The number is around 7 million . Some of the impact transfer guys are getting 1 mill plus . So lets say 3 guys are getting a million that leaves 4 mill to split up by 7 (if the roster is 10) . Lets say the 3 Freshman get 500,000 so that leaves 2,500,000 or 625,000 per for the remaining transfers . obviously this is not an exact science but n the money can go quick if you are wanting the top transfer portal guys and the top freshman . I'm sure when Cal accepted the Tysons had assured him he would have the funding to get top talent or he would have never left . One of the rumors and yall probably know better than us but was that he was not being supported in NIL for the transfer portal the way he thought he needed .
It was a combination of the lack of support for NIL as Cal had alienated the big donors AND he wanted his son on the staff. Neither situation was going to be resolved to his liking. The whole reason he entertained an offer from Arkansas was to get leverage for those two things to happen.

The last time he did that he got a lifetime contract out of it. But at that time we had in recent memory nearly had a perfect season and were swimming in No. 1 draft picks. Unfortunately this spring he tried to pull that coming off the worst half decade stretch in UK history and instead of getting his way he was told no. Plus he violated his contract by doing that which meant there were only two moves on the board. Attempt to stay and be on a short leash with the real possibility of being let go with no buyout for contract violation or “leave on his own”.

Takes a huge ego to play with fire and think you won’t get burned, and Cal has one.

Doesn’t mean he won’t do nice things for his players and people in need. Honestly just watching him the last few years it looks like the gears are slipping which is why he’s not done well hiding his disdain for pretty much everyone around him. There is a price to pay for a job that stressful. It will be your mind or body or both if you stay too long.

What does that post have anything to do with knowing Cal more than Kentucky fans ? Its about todays world of College basketball and maybe the traditional way isn't the best option with NIL budgets . You guys could be right and having a full roster of slightly lesser talent is the way to go . I like the idea of having more money for your top 9 guys .
Has everyone forgotten about a free College Education? NIL, NIL, NIL
You can’t tell me some 3 star guys out there don’t want a free college education.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT