ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas will find out why he’s there if true

I am not totally disagreeing on that point and am open to the reality that it could not be the best idea . I just makes sense to me at this stage of college basketball (he is not the only coach talking about this same concept either )
I also am not oblivious to what Cal brings to the table coaching wise( I honestly wanted Chris Beard ) although i think he is a better coach than what most Cat fans think.
If Arkansas fans are OK with NEVER developing players and starting over EVERY season, then there won’t be any problem. Because the way Cal is doing it means that he is ADMITTING that he has no desire to bring in kids that need time to become adequate contributors.

And with his track record, I don’t see how ANY kid that doesnt get assurances from Cal that he will get PT, would want to come play at Arkansas. You seem to be fine with that, but most UK fans were sick of it.

I am not totally disagreeing on that point and am open to the reality that it could not be the best idea . I just makes sense to me at this stage of college basketball (he is not the only coach talking about this same concept either )
I also am not oblivious to what Cal brings to the table coaching wise( I honestly wanted Chris Beard ) although i think he is a better coach than what most Cat fans think.
This one thing is probably the least thing you need to worry about.

He was a better coach 2010-2016, then he got complacent and stopped worrying about winning titles (SEC or NCAA). He was more worried about placing guys in the NBA and bragging about it. Think about how many players, that are currently in the NBA, that came through Kentucky, 7 NBA all-stars and only 1 NCAA title (2012), no SEC titles in the past 5-6 years? Not getting past the first weekend in the NCAA tournament in the past 5 years? Musselman did a better job during that period.

Good lord yall jump on everything and spin it how you like . He addressed that and IMO its a much better way to distribute NIL money to maximize your roster financially . He will be adding Wagner and more than likely Pryor in the next few days and be done . That roster doesn't look like someone who couldn't get players he wanted .lol

He also added that he would like for his graduate assistants to have recent experience playing at the college or professional level.

"I want those guys to have played in Europe or just got done playing and can still play," Calipari said. "We can use them in practice.
Junk here. This roster of ours is loaded. Will get DJ this weekend and Pryor soon after if not Hawkins.

Can Cal get them there? I think so but none of our opinions is an end of the search for the truth.

Gonna enjoy this ride

Junk here. This roster of ours is loaded. Will get DJ this weekend and Pryor soon after if not Hawkins.

Can Cal get them there? I think so but none of our opinions is an end of the search for the truth.

Gonna enjoy this ride
You think you're going to enjoy this ride. But a bunch of people here that have lived it are telling you folks you're not. It's going to be a terribly frustrating era for you. I know Arkansas fans know basketball. I know they are passionate about good Arkansas basketball. We're telling you, you aren't going to get that with Cal. He doesn't care if you win or not. Not one bit. Arkansas winning will never be one of his priorities. I honestly feel bad for Arkansas fans. You're good basketball people. You deserve better.

I thought with all of the NIL money that Arky has from Jones/ Tyson/ Walmart, they would have like a $50,000,000 collective to support their basketball team!!!
Cal did say with how the portal and the NIL is now he doesn't want to "develop" players for other teams!!!
Hey Cal, you've been developing players for other teams for 15-years, while you were at UK.
NBA TEAMS!!!!!!

Last edited:
What does that post have anything to do with knowing Cal more than Kentucky fans ? Its about todays world of College basketball and maybe the traditional way isn't the best option with NIL budgets . You guys could be right and having a full roster of slightly lesser talent is the way to go . I like the idea of having more money for your top 9 guys .
What you aren't getting is that Cal never really changes. Despite what he says. His mind never changes. He is incapable of voluntarily making an substantial changes. So yeah what they have been telling you is relevant.

Gonna enjoy this ride
You will have a loaded roster every year he is there. That won't be a problem. I don't think you will enjoy the ride. The first head scratching loss won't be an anomaly.

I disagree , with NIL things have changed in the world of College basketball . If your Budget is 7 million do you want to spent $250,000 on a practice player or use that money to bolster your roster with someone who will actually play ? This also helps with not creating animosity because #11 on your roster is pissed he isn't getting any playing time .

If you can provide GA's who have played professionally in Europe as your practice squad for $75,000 (paid by the school and not your NIL fund )that seems like a much better way to get the best possible players on your team . He did say he may bring in a 10th but that player has to understand he is not going to get a lot of minutes . We just watched a coach in Musselman that when his teams were good only played 7 guys .
Players improve by going up against better competition in practice. There is no benefit to scrimmaging against washed up Euro guys.
You’re drinking the Kool Aid already and just regurgitating some Cal-speak.

Look, I am all dunking on Cal’s rhetoric, but he does have arguably the number 1 rated transfer portal class. Not adding additional talent may have been what he promised the one’s he’s signed.

I prefer Pope’s approach to building a more sustainable system by taking guys who will develop over time (e.g., Noah, Perry, and Chandler), but Cal has a different approach (and one I am glad to not watch at UK anymore). As others have stated, if he sticks to just 8-9 players, he runs the risk of problems by attrition if injuries happen.

I thought with all of the NIL money that Arky has from Jones/ Tyson/ Walmart, they would have like a $50,000,000 collective to support their basketball team!!!
Cal did say with how the portal and the NIL is now he doesn't want to "develop" players for other teams!!!
Hey Cal, you've been developing players for other teams for 15-years, while you were at UK.
NBA TEAMS!!!!!!
BOOM! Perfect post. Cal is so full of shit, it’s absurd!

Gonna enjoy this ride
I see the honeymoon phase is alive and well. Don’t worry we will all get a lot of joy watching this ride.

NBA TEAMS!!!!!!
You know that, Arkansas fans act like he didn’t have stacked rosters here. He sure had more than 8-9 players yet we routinely only have 6-7 ready for a game.

Reactions: ukfan041 and ib4ky
Good lord yall jump on everything and spin it how you like . He addressed that and IMO its a much better way to distribute NIL money to maximize your roster financially . He will be adding Wagner and more than likely Pryor in the next few days and be done . That roster doesn't look like someone who couldn't get players he wanted .lol

He also added that he would like for his graduate assistants to have recent experience playing at the college or professional level.

"I want those guys to have played in Europe or just got done playing and can still play," Calipari said. "We can use them in practice.
This is what is known as Cal speak. Get used to it. Compare what he says during the year to what actually happens at the end of the year and get back to us. We all know you won’t come back after the inevitable collapse but still. Do it on your own at least.

You know that, Arkansas fans act like he didn’t have stacked rosters here. He sure had more than 8-9 players yet we routinely only have 6-7 ready for a game.
I know how bad you want to be right and you may end up that way, but just as possible we have a great year.

What does that post have anything to do with knowing Cal more than Kentucky fans ? Its about todays world of College basketball and maybe the traditional way isn't the best option with NIL budgets . You guys could be right and having a full roster of slightly lesser talent is the way to go . I like the idea of having more money for your top 9 guys .
Arkansas doesn’t have a problem paying 12 guys? Don’t you have like 4 billionaires dying to fund it? That’s easy money.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
I know how bad you want to be right and you may end up that way, but just as possible we have a great year.
I have history on my side, you act like we didn’t watch the exact same thing play out the last 5 years of this NIL and transfer era. You realize Cal has exactly 2 elite eights, 1 SEC title, and 1 SECT title the last 9 seasons at Kentucky right? We didn’t have any good rosters then did we?

Reactions: ukfan041
You think you're going to enjoy this ride. But a bunch of people here that have lived it are telling you folks you're not. It's going to be a terribly frustrating era for you. I know Arkansas fans know basketball. I know they are passionate about good Arkansas basketball. We're telling you, you aren't going to get that with Cal. He doesn't care if you win or not. Not one bit. Arkansas winning will never be one of his priorities. I honestly feel bad for Arkansas fans. You're good basketball people. You deserve better

You may end up being right but he’s recruited some damn good, if not the best, transfer guys. We know about the last 5 years. Everyone does. But we also know about the final fours at UK, UMASS and Memphis

I’ll enjoy the ride, until I don’t

I have history on my side, you act like we didn’t watch the exact same thing play out the last 5 years of this NIL and transfer era. You realize Cal has exactly 2 elite eights, 1 SEC title, and 1 SECT title the last 9 seasons at Kentucky right? We didn’t have any good rosters then did we?
Now you’re making stuff up and moving goal posts.

Have fun with that

This part really would concern me if I were a Hogs fan. I can tell you from 15 years of experience, Calipari prefers a 6-8 man rotation. We won our lone NC under him with a 7 man rotation that was closer to 6.5. The issue wasn’t him playing a short rotation. It was how depleted our bench was. There were years we only had 9-10 on scholarship and then he’d give the rest of the scholarships to our walk-ons who were usually sons of various old friends of his.

There might be a time where you’ll have an 8-man rotation, and then your starting wing hurts his ankle and your sixth man falls mysteriously ill with some sort of plague for a handful of games, and you’re left with 1-2 bench guys and walkons who weren’t even good high school players. This leads to the next issue.

Cal runs his teams into the ground minutes wise and the injuries start to pileup during SEC play. It wont be uncommon for your best player to play 37 mpg and not many starters to average under 33 mpg. (Kellan Grady started playing 40 mpg in February of 2022 and the kid’s feet went out on him in March. Tre Mitchell played almost 39 mpg November-January last season and ended up with a back injury in early February that totally ruined his game.)

I am not saying this to be a hater. I don’t hate John Calipari. I thank him for his time here, but was ready to move in a new direction. For as long as Cal is at Arkansas, you will always have talented (mostly) likable players, you will own the offseason and early signing period, you will always be preseason top 5-10 based on recruiting rankings, you will win a few really big games especially if you’re not expecting to, you will lose several games to teams you have no business losing to because of the talent gap, and the postseason is a crapshoot. If you get early UK Cal, he’ll be damn good. If you get twilight UK Cal, I’m sorry.

I disagree , with NIL things have changed in the world of College basketball . If your Budget is 7 million do you want to spent $250,000 on a practice player or use that money to bolster your roster with someone who will actually play ? This also helps with not creating animosity because #11 on your roster is pissed he isn't getting any playing time .

If you can provide GA's who have played professionally in Europe as your practice squad for $75,000 (paid by the school and not your NIL fund )that seems like a much better way to get the best possible players on your team . He did say he may bring in a 10th but that player has to understand he is not going to get a lot of minutes . We just watched a coach in Musselman that when his teams were good only played 7 guys .
Leo Inception GIF

Who knows, it might work in your alls favor. 11 losses and a sweet sixteen finish with his 60th five star NBA player in his 16th season at Kentucky just doesn’t cut it. You guys will probably be happy with a season like that. Hell, I would be happy if Pope made the sweet 16 this year too tbh. Everyone just needed a fresh start.
Yes I understand . Kentucky standards a little different than most to say the least .

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Exactly. I’m convinced Calipari is incapable of learning certain lessons.
I think he weighs those things and would rather get the season over with and his guys in the pros. To have more kids on the roster means he can't make playing time promises.

If Arkansas fans are OK with NEVER developing players and starting over EVERY season, then there won’t be any problem. Because the way Cal is doing it means that he is ADMITTING that he has no desire to bring in kids that need time to become adequate contributors.

And with his track record, I don’t see how ANY kid that doesnt get assurances from Cal that he will get PT, would want to come play at Arkansas. You seem to be fine with that, but most UK fans were sick of it.
Musselman overhauled his team every year also so we are somewhat used to it .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT