ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas will find out why he’s there if true

The playing time promises are adding up quick I guess.
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Obviously he is struggling getting the right fit of players he wants. About the only thing out of his mouth is developing players. Nothing about winning. His top priority, develop a few for the pro's to add to his list. AR fans truly don't know what they are in for. Nine Scholarship guys? Think he has lost it even more.

This sounds like some spin and an excuse for why he can't get the players he wants. If you only have 8 or 9 guys, you're depending on walk-ons for a scrimmage, which is not ideal.
Good lord yall jump on everything and spin it how you like . He addressed that and IMO its a much better way to distribute NIL money to maximize your roster financially . He will be adding Wagner and more than likely Pryor in the next few days and be done . That roster doesn't look like someone who couldn't get players he wanted .lol

He also added that he would like for his graduate assistants to have recent experience playing at the college or professional level.

"I want those guys to have played in Europe or just got done playing and can still play," Calipari said. "We can use them in practice.

This sounds like some spin and an excuse for why he can't get the players he wants. If you only have 8 or 9 guys, you're depending on walk-ons for a scrimmage, which is not ideal.
This is exactly it. He thought for sure his guys and new guys would just follow him without question because it was cal u. He found out that wasn't the case. He even lost his top recruiter and they had to write a blank check to get KP.

Cal was the greatest recruiter maybe ever with the UK brand backing him. Now he, and hig fans, are learning it wasn't just cal u after all.

The key phrase in that whole article to me was his "developing players". When did he develop anyone? You were either his favorite or you rotted at the end of the bench, hardly no middle ground. Basically he is saying if he only has 9, then at the end of the year there wont be 4-5 guys leaving because they got hardly any pt (development) throughout the season because his promised time to all his NBA guys took priority.

Good lord yall jump on everything and spin it how you like . He addressed that and IMO its a much better way to distribute NIL money to maximize your roster financially . He will be adding Wagner and more than likely Pryor in the next few days and be done . That roster doesn't look like someone who couldn't get players he wanted .lol

He also added that he would like for his graduate assistants to have recent experience playing at the college or professional level.

"I want those guys to have played in Europe or just got done playing and can still play," Calipari said. "We can use them in practice.
It’s incredible how Arkansas fans can’t see the problem with this strategy. Teams improve throughout a season from scrimmaging against each other. There is no benefit in having assistants fill out practice squads.
Plus, I don’t think you’re familiar with how Cal and his staff handle player injuries, but you will be soon.

You would have a point if you weren’t talking to a fan base that just spent 15 years with him. Everyone here knows what Calipari does. He says the same things on repeat. He doesn’t change.

It’s like saying a recently divorced husband can’t read his wife of 15 years.

What is going to be interesting is to see how Arkansas handles injuries, you know, mysterious injuries that don't seem serious, amounting to weeks to months being out. Never knowing exactly what's wrong with the player as to why they are out so long. I don't ever want to see anyone injured but Kentucky had way too many for the young and in shape athletes to be out all the time with the trainers and medical availability our basketball program has.

The key phrase in that whole article to me was his "developing players". When did he develop anyone? You were either his favorite or you rotted at the end of the bench, hardly no middle ground. Basically he is saying if he only has 9, then at the end of the year there wont be 4-5 guys leaving because they got hardly any pt (development) throughout the season because his promised time to all his NBA guys took priority.
Plus his plan is to have all his guys go to the NBA after one year anyway if you are going to have a new-look roster every year regardless I don't understand only getting 8-9 guys your just limiting your depth.

Reactions: delk4three
Obviously he is struggling getting the right fit of players he wants. About the only thing out of his mouth is developing players. Nothing about winning. His top priority, develop a few for the pro's to add to his list. AR fans truly don't know what they are in for. Nine Scholarship guys? Think he has lost it even more.
He's so afraid of being accused of not developing his bench, that he has chosen to not have one.

It’s incredible how Arkansas fans can’t see the problem with this strategy. Teams improve throughout a season from scrimmaging against each other. There is no benefit in having assistants fill out practice squads.
Plus, I don’t think you’re familiar with how Cal and his staff handle player injuries, but you will be soon.
I disagree , with NIL things have changed in the world of College basketball . If your Budget is 7 million do you want to spent $250,000 on a practice player or use that money to bolster your roster with someone who will actually play ? This also helps with not creating animosity because #11 on your roster is pissed he isn't getting any playing time .

If you can provide GA's who have played professionally in Europe as your practice squad for $75,000 (paid by the school and not your NIL fund )that seems like a much better way to get the best possible players on your team . He did say he may bring in a 10th but that player has to understand he is not going to get a lot of minutes . We just watched a coach in Musselman that when his teams were good only played 7 guys .

I disagree , with NIL things have changed in the world of College basketball . If your Budget is 7 million do you want to spent $250,000 on a practice player or use that money to bolster your roster with someone who will actually play ? This also helps with not creating animosity because #11 on your roster is pissed he isn't getting any playing time .

If you can provide GA's who have played professionally in Europe as your practice squad for $75,000 (paid by the school and not your NIL fund )that seems like a much better way to get the best possible players on your team . He did say he may bring in a 10th but that player has to understand he is not going to get a lot of minutes . We just watched a coach in Musselman that when his teams were good only played 7 guys .
No use a fussing. You will see for yourself in time.

You've convinced me. It's amazing how much better you know him than us!

You've convinced me. It's amazing how much better you know him than us!
What does that post have anything to do with knowing Cal more than Kentucky fans ? Its about todays world of College basketball and maybe the traditional way isn't the best option with NIL budgets . You guys could be right and having a full roster of slightly lesser talent is the way to go . I like the idea of having more money for your top 9 guys .

How is he going to play 8 or 9 when he usually has 2-3 hurt regularly
Yeah, it will be interesting to see if he has those same issues there. It was a regular thing here for five years. Always injuries and issue's . Hadn't seen a guy for days. I think part of this is he is being so careful not to create competition with 'his' guys on the team that he will try and get to the pro's after a year and partly he is just having trouble getting many guys interested in coming to sit on the bench with no chance to earn his way.

He has to limit his numbers because he made all kinds of playing time promises already to get them there. Can’t wait to watch the drama.

What does that post have anything to do with knowing Cal more than Kentucky fans ? Its about todays world of College basketball and maybe the traditional way isn't the best option with NIL budgets . You guys could be right and having a full roster of slightly lesser talent is the way to go . I like the idea of having more money for your top 9 guys .

It what fans do, we all get it. What you’re doing is normal fan behavior. Here in a couple years we can all look back together and laugh about Cal selling you on graduate assistants being practice players and we can both agree that ex wife of ours really was a whore.

It what fans do, we all get it. What you’re doing is normal fan behavior. Here in a couple years we can all look back together and laugh about Cal selling you on graduate assistants being practice players and we can both agree that ex wife of ours really was a whore.
I am not totally disagreeing on that point and am open to the reality that it could not be the best idea . I just makes sense to me at this stage of college basketball (he is not the only coach talking about this same concept either )
I also am not oblivious to what Cal brings to the table coaching wise( I honestly wanted Chris Beard ) although i think he is a better coach than what most Cat fans think.

Pretty lazy by Cal tbh. He can say his best teams had 6 or 7 man rotations all he wants, but reading between the lines it just sounds like he wants to limit the amount of work he has to do (recruit and manage extra players).

Last season had 12 scholarship players. Imagine if he hadn't added Jordan Burks, Joey Hart, Big Z or Tre Mitchell. That team easily drops 3-4 more without those guys.

He can say it's fine because he's got former pro GA's to play full 5v5 in practice, but those dudes can't help you when you're playing a full SEC slate and 1-2 your guys are in foul trouble and half your roster is playing 35+ minutes a night for 20 consecutive games. Roster of 8-9 guys with 1 or 2 injuries looks pretty bleak.

Glad this isn't our problem

I get what you are saying…but you might want to trust the people that have had to put up with this stuff for years

You are not getting 2009 cal…you are getting social Justice warrior cal who puts pandering to agents/handlers and getting kids into the nba above w’s and l’s

I am not totally disagreeing on that point and am open to the reality that it could not be the best idea . I just makes sense to me at this stage of college basketball (he is not the only coach talking about this same concept either )
I also am not oblivious to what Cal brings to the table coaching wise( I honestly wanted Chris Beard ) although i think he is a better coach than what most Cat fans think.

Who knows, it might work in your alls favor. 11 losses and a sweet sixteen finish with his 60th five star NBA player in his 16th season at Kentucky just doesn’t cut it. You guys will probably be happy with a season like that. Hell, I would be happy if Pope made the sweet 16 this year too tbh. Everyone just needed a fresh start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT