ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas AD statement on Cal 😀

“By all accounts”

It’s a silly, poorly-worded statement, from an athletic director who is supposed to be in the know and who is to have performed extensive due diligence on a major hire.
No. It is more than just a silly poorly worded statement from the guy who is supposed to be Cal's next boss.

HY did not want Cal. Plain and simple. Cal went behind his back to the big money boosters to get hired for the job.

Cal will have the same relationship with HY as he had with MB and that is " you can't tell me what to do."

That is just who Cal is and how he operates.

The boosters cut the AD'S nuts off and handed them to Cal. HY might as well start looking for his next gig.

No. It is more than just a silly poorly worded statement from the guy who is supposed to be Cal's next boss.

HY did not want Cal. Plain and simple. Cal went behind his back to the big money boosters to get hired for the job.

Cal will have the same relationship with HY as he had with MB and that is " you can't tell me what to do."

That is just who Cal is and how he operates.

The boosters cut the AD'S nuts off and handed them to Cal. HY might as well start looking for his next gig.
Yeah I feel for that guy.

Yeah, it's a tale of multiple personality disorder with Calipari. If you look at his numbers from 2010 to 2015, you come away thinking this guy is the best coach in the NCAA. If you just look at his numbers from 2016 to 2019, you think he's a good coach who just can't seem to win the big game. If you look at his numbers from 2021 to 2024, you think he's just an average coach who can recruit but can't coach in-game very well. I'm sure Arkansas fans will be focusing on Cal's early years at UK. And why not? He had 4 Final Fours out of 6 years. He had a runner-up. He had a title. He had a team that was 2 wins from a perfect season. He had so much talent in those years, many are NBA all-stars today.

But we all know better- the Calipari we've come to know in the last 5 years is not the same guy anymore. Some of that could be from fans turning against him and his inability to handle criticism (he says he ignores it, but he soaks it in). Some of it has to do with team building through high school recruiting instead of transfer portal or just by keeping players year after year (and he sends them packing before they've finished unpacking, usually). But some of it also has to do with an issue Calipari has always had- and that's the fact that he's just not great at game prep (doesn't do video scouting with his team- just focuses on his own team's performance) and he's just not good in game situations. If his game plan works, he usually has enough talent to win, but if he has to adjust, he struggles and his team struggles- he doesn't zone unless it's in desperation, and his teams never know how to play it. Arkansas fans will find this out. They'll be positive for a while and give him a chance to do his thing, they'll love the talent he brings in, but if and when things don't work out and Cal starts shifting blame, talking with that coach speak, and about being young and guys not being "robots", Arkansas fans will see the issues.

I do wish Cal well except for when he plays UK. I don't hate him. He's a flawed guy with a big ego. And at this point, that isn't changing.

They also said Cal told them they had the resources to recruit and retain players. Apparently we didn't have the ability to retain then.
Lol, they're delusional. Cal is not in the business of retaining anybody. His first goal and his only goal is to advance his NBA player wall. To set himself up in retirement as the NBA guy. He doesn't care about winning basketball games. He's a sports agent. A middle man for ''young people''.

gOccNys.png

Translation: Tyson chicken guy wanted his friend Calipari here and controls NIL and booster money; and by all accounts Calipari is a premier coach.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADs seem to be about 10 years behind everyone else, he probably thinks Anthony Davis just wrapped up playing for UK. Time will tell if this pays off for them, or if it’s their Jimbo F.
If you’re choosing between Chris Jans and Darrell Walker it’s probably worth taking a flier on John Calipari recapturing the old magic.

Yeah, it's a tale of multiple personality disorder with Calipari. If you look at his numbers from 2010 to 2015, you come away thinking this guy is the best coach in the NCAA. If you just look at his numbers from 2016 to 2019, you think he's a good coach who just can't seem to win the big game. If you look at his numbers from 2021 to 2024, you think he's just an average coach who can recruit but can't coach in-game very well. I'm sure Arkansas fans will be focusing on Cal's early years at UK. And why not? He had 4 Final Fours out of 6 years. He had a runner-up. He had a title. He had a team that was 2 wins from a perfect season. He had so much talent in those years, many are NBA all-stars today.

But we all know better- the Calipari we've come to know in the last 5 years is not the same guy anymore. Some of that could be from fans turning against him and his inability to handle criticism (he says he ignores it, but he soaks it in). Some of it has to do with team building through high school recruiting instead of transfer portal or just by keeping players year after year (and he sends them packing before they've finished unpacking, usually). But some of it also has to do with an issue Calipari has always had- and that's the fact that he's just not great at game prep (doesn't do video scouting with his team- just focuses on his own team's performance) and he's just not good in game situations. If his game plan works, he usually has enough talent to win, but if he has to adjust, he struggles and his team struggles- he doesn't zone unless it's in desperation, and his teams never know how to play it. Arkansas fans will find this out. They'll be positive for a while and give him a chance to do his thing, they'll love the talent he brings in, but if and when things don't work out and Cal starts shifting blame, talking with that coach speak, and about being young and guys not being "robots", Arkansas fans will see the issues.

I do wish Cal well except for when he plays UK. I don't hate him. He's a flawed guy with a big ego. And at this point, that isn't changing.
I agree on the MPD thing haha. He essentially embodied each of our last 3 coaches all in one:

2009-2015: Mid 90's Rick pitino in his prime
2016-2020: Tubby Smith
2021-current: Billy Gillispie

I might get flak again for this, but Cal is one of a handful of active college coaches to have won a championship. He's one of two coaches to take three programs to a FF. I suspect, with a fresh start, he could make it four with Arky.

The past five years of mediocrity culminating in getting booted by fans and admin alike could help Cal shake the factors that mired him down here. Cal is a good coach. He just couldn't get out of his own way at UK, and that'll get any coach pulverized in the meat grinder we have here. It was time for a separation – there's no doubting that. For him, for us, and for the university.

I think he does well at Arkansas. The levity of his goodbye tells me he felt a huge burden roll off his shoulders. Personally, I wish him well, though I won't forget his snide comments and defensiveness when things went south. I don't see an issue with their AD's assessment. Besides, what's he going to say? "Well, we got a washed up geezer with the stubbornness of a mule. Woo pig sooie I guess."

They also said Cal told them they had the resources to recruit and retain players. Apparently we didn't have the ability to retain then.
It is impossible to retain players when you call them in at the end of the season and inform them the new crop of incoming freshmen are going to play ahead of them.

Cal built this monster. Can't blame the fans or NIL for what he does.

Last edited:

When they get scored on by the same player in the same spot for 40 minutes straight with no adjustment they will know that CCC is indeed, CCC

One-and-gone...welcome to Fayetteville, Arkansas...

UARK_Window_4.8.24.jpg

And before anyone says anything, I pulled that image straight from the University of Arkansas website. So if you're laughing at that lady in the yellow head band, it's on them...

I’m over dragging the guy. His time here is done and he didn’t leave us in shambles or on probation. I don’t expect a career resurgence for him but he’s a big deal for a place like Arkansas.
If you look at our roster today and consider the national perspective of the current UK basketball program and tell me he didn't leave the program in shambles, we differ on our definition of " shambles".

Motivated cal is a good coach. Lazy cal not so much. Ark could get a reneegized version don’t be shocked.

They're going to be breathing down his neck from day one. SHTF when they tell him to put a zone defense in place.
I don't do it in the NBA so it doesn't matter remember. He's basically saying I'm the one exception when an opponent uses a zone against me they have practiced and we haven't practiced, we still won't be at a disadvantage right?! If you don't practice it you are susceptible to it, period, and this problem is compounded by the fact he goes after super hyped up players that have poor fundamentals and no experience at this level. What could go wrong right!!??

“By all accounts”

It’s a silly, poorly-worded statement, from an athletic director who is supposed to be in the know and who is to have performed extensive due diligence on a major hire.
You're looking at this through the lens of Kentucky basketball. Cal is a perfectly good option for a school like Arkansas. Just because he wore out his welcome here doesn't mean he's not suitable for other jobs.

This could very well be kind of a Shaka Smart situation. He wasn't right for Texas, but Marquette is absolutely thrilled to have him. And just because he's exactly what Marquette needs doesn't mean he'd be a good option for Kansas. But he's right for Marquette and that's really all that matters to Marquette.

You're looking at this through the lens of Kentucky basketball. Cal is a perfectly good option for a school like Arkansas. Just because he wore out his welcome here doesn't mean he's not suitable for other jobs.

This could very well be kind of a Shaka Smart situation. He wasn't right for Texas, but Marquette is absolutely thrilled to have him. And just because he's exactly what Marquette needs doesn't mean he'd be a good option for Kansas. But he's right for Marquette and that's really all that matters to Marquette.

The discussion was about where Cal left this program.

So yes, that is the lens that I am looking at it through.

Whether or not he’s a good fit for Arkansas is a separate discussion and you can ask his new boss his thoughts about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT