ADVERTISEMENT

Are you ready to accept Pitino back to celebrate the 1996 title?

Which would you be okay with?

• The team including Coach Pitino

Votes: 128 61.5%
  • The team without Coach Pitino

Votes: 73 35.1%
  • They are loyal to Coach Pitino so forget them all

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
Myron Medcalf has an article on ESPN about College Basketball grudges and of course UK/Pitino is the first one he talks about. He mentions when asked why Pitino and the 96 team met in Miami to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the championship Pitino said it was because the fans didn't like him here anymore. So my question is, since he no longer coaches at U of L, would you be okay with Pitino and the 96 team being honored at Rupp?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
No, Hell NO! F'k him.........he has done nothing but call UK fans a bunch of rubes for years......it started when he took the U6 job.........I personally would like to see UK remove his name from all record books......he is a POS human............he has never done anything wrong but has always been a victim.............

Well, first off when is the last time that fans were in control of scheduling events for UK? What a lame ass excuse, seriously.

As usual Rick can't help but make it all about him and concoct some crazy lie to cover his feelings. I would be willing to bet that UK extended a offer to all involved to celebrate and Rick stopped it from happening. I know for sure Cal doesn't have any problem with former players, even the one's that played for Rick. Hosting Walter McCarty's team this year more than proves that.

Myron Medcalf has an article on ESPN about College Basketball grudges and of course UK/Pitino is the first one he talks about. He mentions when asked why Pitino and the 96 team met in Miami to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the championship Pitino said it was because the fans didn't like him here anymore. So my question is, since he no longer coaches at U of L, would you be okay with Pitino and the 96 team being honored at Rupp?
NO. Can still see that finger.

I don’t like the guy, but I wouldn’t have an issue if it’s a celebration for the 96 team. If it was just Pitino that would be odd, but Pitino plus the 96 team would be fine. He doesn’t need to be put on a pedestal, but he was the coach of one of UK’s greatest teams and I wouldn’t care if they were brought out as a whole team.

Don't really think Sextino and his middle
finger would be comfortable coming back to Rupp. I think most UK fans would accept it but some would boo. Someone I knew that was very close to the program daily once said,"he's the most egotistical SOB I've ever been around". Pinto could care less about UK unless it's to enhance his legacy, lol. Very immature adult in so many ways.

giphy.gif

The guy literally went to most hated rival and flipped us the middle finger. ...and some of you want to honor him at Rupp??? :flushed::chairshot:
I think he's just a sore loser, and there is probably something that triggered him to do such a thing. I remember us winning the game, and his flipping off a fan, but I can't remember the circumstances. Great coach, but far from a decent human being.

It is almost like he has split personalities. I have heard him say he messed up leaving UK and called us Camelot but then he makes other comments that makes it sound like he was glad to get out of KY.

I can overlook him going to UofL if he had been complimentary or had not commented on UK at all but not after the way he has acted towards UK and the fans. I dont hate him but I'm also not gonna celebrate him.

Maybe after his mind goes like Knight’s
Until then with his arrogance he would want to address the UK fans and it couldn’t keep him from saying something insulting

Reactions: Baller Cal
Got to break with some of my BBN brethren here. I know many hate him. But I don’t understand why we can’t celebrate what he did for our program by resurrecting it from the NCAA ashes of hell, multiple FF’s, 2 straight title games with one natty. For that I will always be thankful to him. Time to bury the hate and celebrate him and the absolute best team to ever wear UK blue, the 96 super team. Like it or not but he built that team, coached it and gave us the most exciting two years of basketball we will ever see, the way they played the game was amazing.

I think he's just a sore loser, and there is probably something that triggered him to do such a thing. I remember us winning the game, and his flipping off a fan, but I can't remember the circumstances. Great coach, but far from a decent human being.
That so called fan said something totally un called for.

NO, and then only yes when the following happens, HE APPOLOGIZES FOR GOING TO TARDVILLE WHEN HE COULD HAVE WENT TO MICHIGAN STATE OR UCLA, 2. HE APPOLOGIZES FOR FLIPPING OFF THE FANS HERE AND ALL THE MEAN AND HATEFUL THINGS HE SAID TOWARDS US, AND LAST THE TATTO MUST BE REMOVED PERIOD. NOW ONCE HE DOES ALL THIS AT A PRESS CONFERENCE. AND WE ALL KNOW ITS ALL ABOUT HIM SO HE WOULD LOVE TO HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE. THEN AND ONLY THEN WITH THE TEAM. THATS IT

Got to break with some of my BBN brethren here. I know many hate him. But I don’t understand why we can’t celebrate what he did for our program by resurrecting it from the NCAA ashes of hell, multiple FF’s, 2 straight title games with one natty. For that I will always be thankful to him. Time to bury the hate and celebrate him and the absolute best team to ever wear UK blue, the 96 super team. Like it or not but he built that team, coached it and gave us the most exciting two years of basketball we will ever see, the way they played the game was amazing.

Celebrate a POS human? It will never happen. You and the other Pitino huggers should take him to a strip bar and get his autograph.

I can separate the UK Pitino from the post-UK Pitino. The problem is it would be the post-UK Pitino walking through the door.

Reactions: KFuqua
In the context of celebrating the 96 team, I have no problem inviting Rick back and having him be a part of it. He is undoubtedly a major part of our storied history. However, I believe he has forever lost the right to be celebrated individually.

Reactions: bfawns
Do you think Coach K would ever coach UNC? Do you think Dean Smith would've ever coached Duke? How 'bout Bobby Bowden coaching Florida? Or Spurrier at FSU?

There are some things that you just don't do in big time college athletcis. Only the most narcissistic, self-absorbed person would think going to your former team's most hated rival would be OK. Remember the 1% comment? That was proof of his arrogance and ignorance.

I don't care to celebrate him. No thanks.

That stupid cheesy yacht party Rick threw was embarrassing. The greatest team of all time deserves to come to Rupp and be celebrated like the Kings that they are. It's a damn shame everything he did at UK has been soiled by his embarrassing behavior.

That guy has thoroughly embarrassed himself and his family, it would do him some good to apologize and just attempt to have some humility. If not, f him, but bring all the players back.

Celebrate a POS human? It will never happen. You and the other Pitino huggers should take him to a strip bar and get his autograph.
Did I yank your chain? I did not. Sit down and shut up, adults are talking here.

In the context of celebrating the 96 team, I have no problem inviting Rick back and having him be a part of it. He is undoubtedly a major part of our storied history. However, I believe he has forever lost the right to be celebrated individually.

That seems like a fair opinion. You can't celebrate the man who flipped off the fan base. You can however celebrate the teams he coached. The restoring of the UK program by him can't be forgotten. It has to carry some pretty good weight when weighing something like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT