ADVERTISEMENT

Are we getting ahead of ourselves with Reed?

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
Please do NOT take this the wrong way. Kid is a straight up baller and may be the best/most important player on our team. However, he's only played six games and, let's be honest, some of the competition has been so-so. He definitely passes the eye test, plays amazing defense, and has some incredible stats, e.g. +/-, shooting %, steals, assists, etc. I think he has the potential to be a first team AA, but I want to see him play a few more games against stiff competition before I'm ready to declare him the greatest player since (pick your favorite).

Am I being too skeptical/cynical?

Please do NOT take this the wrong way. Kid is a straight up baller and may be the best/most important player on our team. However, he's only played six games and, let's be honest, some of the competition has been so-so. He definitely passes the eye test, plays amazing defense, and has some incredible stats, e.g. +/-, shooting %, steals, assists, etc. I think he has the potential to be a first team AA, but I want to see him play a few more games against stiff competition before I'm ready to declare him the greatest player since (pick your favorite).

Probably a bit too cynical. Kid is a great player. And we just played Number 8 (a FF team from last year) and KU. We also played St. Joe's who took it to Nova.

Not sure how that's "so-so" competition.

He also looked great in Canada.

Of course we are. That's what we do. He's a homegown Kentucky boy with a storied UK lineage. The very essence of vicarious living for UK fans.

If he takes over the starting role as PG then teams will begin to gameplan specifically for him. I believe he will adjust, but there will be a period where his production flags a bit. He might even look human.

He will adjust and become stronger, of course, but it will be interesting to watch the meltdown in the short term.

Well, I'll be the naysayer. Yes, we're getting ahead of ourselves. Opposing teams will adjust to him accordingly. I've seen countless players look unstoppable for stretches. Let's see how he responds to other teams making him a focus on defense.

Regardless, what a joy to watch he is. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

It's over the top but it's also deserved. He will have human moments to come. But he is an awesome addition to UK basketball.

If you are going to gauge Reed Sheppard after 6 games, then gauge him against the previous great guards UK has had since Coach Cal has been here or for that matter, before Coach Cal and see what those players did after 6 games.
The Eddy kid is good but he is not a modern day basketball player from what I have seen. He is a slug in the middle of the lane that is so darn big but get him in a running game and his strength is weaken quite a bit.

Lets just let Reed Sheppard play and after the season see what happens.

Folks do probably need to shift to a couple of lower gears. He's a freshman. Season can get long. Road games. Slumps. All things that can make an effect.

UK fans are not known for slowing their role though. I'm confident mama and papa bear are doing their job though.

Some people are. I love Shep, and he's a stud, a freak, but the folks saying he's right behind Edey for POY are silly.
I thought he was ahead of Edey! Kidding of course, and I think his stats will come down somewhat. If they don’t, we might be witnessing a once in a generation freshman year at UK.

It's over the top but it's also deserved. He will have human moments to come. But he is an awesome addition to UK basketball.
He's had a few headscratchers in the past few games (that wild three at the end of KU, couple of clunker TOs in the St. Joes game), but he's extremely versatile and perseveres.

There will probably be games when he is not hitting and may have a bad game so I just hope people don't get down on him like they have some of the players in the past. Just enjoy watching him and this team.

UH OH: "There’s a generation where these people, these young kids now, think ‘I don’t feel good today. I can just shut it down.’ Well, that affects a whole lot of lives," Payne added. "Ty-Laur Johnson is a great kid. A great kid. He is learning for the first time of his life what it is to be held accountable. To be on time. To be a part of a team and be his responsibility to the team. I’m proud of him for fighting through it but I also know that I cannot ever take my foot off his neck. I know that."

Yes but he deserves it to this point but he’ll come back down to earth. He can’t continue shooting 60% from 3 and he’ll have some struggles ahead of him as all freshman and athletes do. We just need to hope the team as a whole keeps playing awesome and winning games.

Of course we are. That's what we do. He's a homegown Kentucky boy with a storied UK lineage. The very essence of vicarious living for UK fans.

If he takes over the starting role as PG then teams will begin to gameplan specifically for him. I believe he will adjust, but there will be a period where his production flags a bit. He might even look human.

He will adjust and become stronger, of course, but it will be interesting to watch the meltdown in the short term.
He has been a very good player thus far and I think a surprise to most of us. He isn't the next Air Jordan and may or may not be the next Kyle Macy. He will be a solid contributor to whatever this team becomes and how far they go in the post season

Yeah there is nothing accidental about the way Reed has played this year. He really is a special player. He is all about making the winning plays no matter the circumstances. I actually think he could look for his own shot more than he does and it would make him even better.

You also have to look at how good he is at taking the ball away from his opponents and how he hardly ever turns it over. That is a big indicator of how good a guy is at basketball. He also has a special ability to get the ball to the right guy at the right time. People need to stop thinking what he is doing is in any way a fluke. This is who he is.

Who’s saying he’s the greatest player since whoever? People are just saying how great he’s been so far. No one is ready to declare anything after 6 or 7 games. If he’s still this good after 15 or 20 games then it’s worth the talk. But no, it’s way too early. He’s just been great so far

The beauty of his game is he does not need to score. He's gonna do whatever it takes to get the win. He understands the game and what it takes to play winning basketball.
This is a very good point ,having both parents who played at the highest level of college basketball gave him a distinct advantage and he seems to have made the most of his head start

I find this thread repugnant. How dare any of you question Reed. (Blessed be his holy name) Maybe you are like the lady at the Piggly Wiggy this morning who thought I was crazy from explaining how Reed's love and light will lead us to paradise (titles 9-12). If so, then fine don't take my word for it. Here are just a few quotes from people you should trust.

John 3:16- For Jeff and Stacey so loved the world that he gave their one and only Son, that whoever believes in Reed shall not perish but have eternal life.

JFK- And so, BBN: ask not what Reed can do for you ... ask what you can do for Reed.

John Lennon- You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join Reed and the world will live as one.

Martin Luther King Jr.- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only Reed Sheppard can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only Reed can do that.

87x937.jpg

Last edited:

Not sure if he will be POY or a first team All-American, but I don't agree with level of competition simply because he has shined in biggest games thus far.

Only looking at Kansas/Miami. His per 40 is 30ppg.

46 mins
34 pts (17)
5 rebs (2.5)
5/3 asst to TO (2.5/1.5)
7 steals (3.5)
1 blk (.5)
8/13 3FG (62%)
4/5 2FG (80%)
2/2 FT (100%)

Reed deserves all the accolades he is getting at the moment. Probably the most complete basketball player I have seen at UK in quite some time. He will definitely come back to earth on his shooting percentages but the remainder of his game (defense, court awareness, hustle, etc) is going nowhere. Reed is just an all around damn good basketball player.

I just read article from 247sports that kinda sums up my feelings as well.
He is shooting the ball much better at UK than he has at anytime since he has been followed by those that rank hs players, a period of over two years now. During HS and even the Canada trip he shot about 35 to 36 % from three. He is shooting well over 60% for the season at UK.
While his defense, steals, and aggressiveness have been a constant at every level, the shooting is much better at UK. The article implies that when he has time he can make shots all day. He has that time at UK that he never had in HS.

Reed had been the focal point for every team he has played on, except UK. When the game started (HS and camps) the other team knew where he was at all times and put a lot pressure on him. He has more freedom at UK and he is making the most of it. I am glad we have him and he is already a fantastic college player. I get a little lost when discussing how he would do in the NBA. I have trouble determining how a player's talents will translate to today's NBA. Oscar is my latest head scratcher.

Reactions: bigbluelou

Have you ever known people on this not to? lol

Some people are. I love Shep, and he's a stud, a freak, but the folks saying he's right behind Edey for POY are silly.
That was CBS that said that. I do believe he could be all SEC and maybe an AA especially if he keeps up his current shooting pace. He won’t end up shooting 60% from 3 but if he has a 50/40/90 split that’s elite.

He’s not gonna be the PG, he’s perfect where he is. We have 3 guys who can all initiate the offense. That’s what makes him so good that teams can’t key on him.

Reactions: lazycat75

People just need to keep in mind that he is a young freshman and is not going to be perfect. He’s going to make mistakes, have bad games and perhaps shooting slumps . You can bet that opposing coaches are going to start game planning for him . It’s a long season and it’s not uncommon for freshman to “hit a wall” during part of the season. I hope people don’t become critical of him if this happens.

No. He deserves the hype based on his performance to date. Why not be excited?

Why aren't you asking this question about DJ and Edwards? DJ has played the exact same teams as Shep, so why aren't DJ's and Edwards' numbers better if it is simply a matter of playing subpar competition?

Last edited:
Not anointing him greatest anything, just enjoying watching him every game and how the energy of the team and crowd rises when he enters the game. Also hope we have him in Blue & White for more than one season. Am I a dreamer there?

Well, if we are getting ahead of ourselves, we're not the only ones. If it were just UK fans saying he's a great player, I'd be agreeing completely with you. We're clearly biased. But the national voices are also seeing it. So, I don't think we're getting ahead of ourselves.

I will say, personally, I would like to see the hype calm down. I don't care how well grounded a player is or how solid he is, all the talk would go to their head. It would be very tough not to let it affect you. I hope he can handle it and doesn't begin to think too highly of himself. That's my only concern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT