ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently Mahaney is on visit as we speak.

I haven't seen Mahaney getting proper respect on RR with regards to the guard prospects available -

When Mahaney first announced for the portal a couple days back, before anybody mentioned Kentucky, half of the national analysts were salivating on Twitter, saying this is an all conference/possible AA kid wherever he goes next year. The only guard in the portal that they were hyping up more was Johnell Davis.

Whether we get him or not, don't let the armchair QBs on rafters fool you - this kid is a first tier transfer.

Mahaney is not a PG. He's a good passer for 2 guard and A DOG!

th

Last edited:
Mike, it's a rebuilding year, not a reloading year. NO ONE should be expecting tournament success this year. You're going to drive yourself crazy.

All due respect,

Bullshit. We have great recruiters, we are UK, and we've got NIL money. This isn't Rick Pitino fresh off a death penalty without NIL and the ability to recruit an entire team full of skilled experienced players. I refuse to believe we can't field a top 10 to 15 team.

Love that he's about his business. No BS with Mahaney. He's taken his visits, on his timeline and expect we'll hear something next week from him on where he ends up. Helluva player. Jkwo above said it best-he's a very big time talent you want badly. Think some are mistaken some fans saying "He's not a PG" for we don't want him. He's a great player. You want him. Period.

Mike, it's a rebuilding year, not a reloading year. NO ONE should be expecting tournament success this year. You're going to drive yourself crazy.
Disagree, in today’s college basketball a good coach and staff should be able to put together a very competitive team. Especially with the NIL Kentucky supposedly has. No excuses

All due respect,

Bullshit. We have great recruiters, we are UK, and we've got NIL money. This isn't Rick Pitino fresh off a death penalty without NIL and the ability to recruit an entire team full of skilled experienced players. I refuse to believe we can't field a top 10 to 15 team.
You aren't wrong but Pope doesn't have Pitino's cache either.
Rick had a Final Four under his belt and was coming straight from a successful run with the Knicks so it is probably still somewhere in the middle, hopefully toward solid.

Not close to probation level but also rebooting to a fresh state with a coach that doesn't have a lot of reputation or connections built yet.

Some of the highest tier players, parents, and handlers will want to see coach and his system in action at this level before we can count on reeling them in regularly.

We may need to overpay or over promise a couple early to seriously jump start the movement and place a couple in the lottery and/or go deep in the tournament to really get an avalanche.

All due respect,

OP needs to go back and listen to what Pope has been preaching. He is preaching competing in the NCAA this coming year. He is not going to accept a down year. Does not mean we do not have a down year. Confidence, attitude, respect starts at the coaching staff and goes down to the players. Fans need to get on board and give Pope and staff a chance to build something that can compete in the SEC and then NCAA tourney. First they need the players they want (not what players we want). They are coaching the team. 2nd, they need to go to work and get all guys here for summer school so they have the summer to play pick up games against each other and any of the past guys visiting that want to play pick up. Then we will see how much better Pope and staff are compared to the past 5 years here at UK.

Funny CAL would always say when he missed on a guy, UK is not for everybody (i cannot hid you here). Pope just keeps working and finding the next guy. I am glad we are not hearing stuff (much stuff) till it happens. Means Pope has a staff he can trust.

Butler is our backup PG, right? I do not want Mahaney as our lead guard next season.
I think Mahaney is more of a combo guard, probably not the full time ballhandler when he's on the court. People talk about shooting at every position, but I'm at least as interested in ball handling at every position. The more players on the floor who can create a shot for themselves the more dangerous you are.

Reactions: JASUN74
Not necessarily. Total rebuilds and tournament success can be obtained if that's the goal. No need to move the goal post whenever there's plenty of good players available. Just need to zero in and land our top portal guys.

All due respect,

Right? This is one of those things like 40-0. No particular reason to expect it WILL happen, but anyone going around saying it CAN’T happen is only artificially insulating themselves from the possibility of disappointment due to emotional weakness. We’re fans, not prophets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT