ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently Mahaney is on visit as we speak.

Yeah, I'm good on that kid. That's far from elite.
You may have a long season then. He’s a good PG and is better at D than the others. If I was a betting man, and no inside info just reading the tea leaves, you’re gonna be hearing the name Hawkins next year.

• Sad
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Mahaney is not a PG. He's a good passer for 2 guard and A DOG!

th
Really hopes uk lands this guy. Really like his game

I wonder what’s the technical legality, if you happen to have a private jet, of just adding one kid after another to the party in the sky as you make your way around the recruiting trail. How crazy could you make it? I’m sure the stock answers is impermissible benefits. But is it really benefits if you just happen to be in the sky when you introduce them to each other and make your pitch? Especially if it’s BYOB? Asking for a friend.

(And I know I personally would be bloodhounding the fire out of some loopholes.)

They left the non recruiting coach to host the better guard?🫠

Hope Fox can get it done!
I'll take the L! I was wrong about Fox.

"Per Rob Bromley's discord (his grandson is a real whiz with computers) Fox took Mahaney to Cadillac Ranch before Pope and Co got back to town"

All due respect,

Bullshit. We have great recruiters, we are UK, and we've got NIL money. This isn't Rick Pitino fresh off a death penalty without NIL and the ability to recruit an entire team full of skilled experienced players. I refuse to believe we can't field a top 10 to 15 team.
That’s true, but we also started with a roster of 1. We have to fill a lot of spots.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
All due respect,

Bullshit. We have great recruiters, we are UK, and we've got NIL money. This isn't Rick Pitino fresh off a death penalty without NIL and the ability to recruit an entire team full of skilled experienced players. I refuse to believe we can't field a top 10 to 15 team.

I haven't seen Mahaney getting proper respect on RR with regards to the guard prospects available -

When Mahaney first announced for the portal a couple days back, before anybody mentioned Kentucky, half of the national analysts were salivating on Twitter, saying this is an all conference/possible AA kid wherever he goes next year. The only guard in the portal that they were hyping up more was Johnell Davis.

Whether we get him or not, don't let the armchair QBs on rafters fool you - this kid is a first tier transfer.

Absolutely. Seen him play several times last year and the kid can flat out ball. BBN would not be disappointed … trust me on that.

Mike, it's a rebuilding year, not a reloading year. NO ONE should be expecting tournament success this year. You're going to drive yourself crazy.
I would bet my house we’re a top ten team by the end of the year with a chance to make a real run. Also this isn’t for you but for everyone talking about Butler not being a starter or backup or whatever. Whoever wins the job will be the starter next season and no one is going to be given the starter job before they earn it. Thanks.

All due respect,

And what’s more experienced than a grad transfer with an NCAA runner up ring on his finger, and a conference Defensive POY award? Too many people get hung up on “he only shot 30% from threes, so he sucks” completely forgetting we lead the nation in 3 point shooting and lost to Oakland in the first round because we lacked Defense.

Anyone talking about conceding a year is just trying to protect themselves from regretting the way they felt.

If we have to concede a year, mark pope wasn’t the right guy. And if mark pope disagrees(he doesn’t) he isn’t the right guy.

Think Arkansas is conceding a year? Texas tech damn near won a title with an entire transfer team. Bama replaced a whole team pretty much. This is a 1/done era of a new breed. The portal. If you can’t thrive in an era where you may have to replace an entire starting lineup then Kentucky or any big name isn’t the right place. Now hopefully, mark pope is stocking some multi year glue guys who end up playing big roles in their later years but we have to be able to go to the portal and pick who we want or we will be looking for a replacement within 5 years.

Not necessarily. Total rebuilds and tournament success can be obtained if that's the goal. No need to move the goal post whenever there's plenty of good players available. Just need to zero in and land our top portal guys.
Name one coach that HAS EVER made a Sweet 16 the year after losing EVERY player on his roster and all but one recruit. I'll have a long wait for tour answer because THERE ISNT ONE

Anyone talking about conceding a year is just trying to protect themselves from regretting the way they felt.

If we have to concede a year, mark pope wasn’t the right guy. And if mark pope disagrees(he doesn’t) he isn’t the right guy.

Think Arkansas is conceding a year? Texas tech damn near won a title with an entire transfer team. Bama replaced a whole team pretty much. This is a 1/done era of a new breed. The portal. If you can’t thrive in an era where you may have to replace an entire starting lineup then Kentucky or any big name isn’t the right place. Now hopefully, mark pope is stocking some multi year glue guys who end up playing big roles in their later years but we have to be able to go to the portal and pick who we want or we will be looking for a replacement within 5 years.
This could be a perfectly reasonable or a totally laughable post depending on your definition of "concede" here.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
And those spots are being filled with experience instead of Freshmen. How many stars do you think a junior who was a 3 or 4 star is worth now?
Exactly. Amari Williams will probably contribute roughly as much one of those top 10 freshmen that actually pans out in a typical year. I would guess Jaxson Robinson would be around this level, too.

OTOH, A former 3 star on the level of a Johnell Davis, Erik Reynolds, or say if Antonio Reeves was portalling this year - there isn't even an accurate HS star value for them.
They would contribute as much as those 6 star freshmen that you don't see every year, like a Wall or Cousins.

Except now there will be a few of them every off-season.

Last edited:
I mean, that stat/history is sort of meaningless in the portal era.
It's not meaningless. You're acting like you have no sense of reality. You think Mark is just going to get all the best players just because the portal is full? Must have disrupted your NBA pipeline!

Mahaney has two years left? Sometimes called a combo guard. Playing off the ball or backing up the one at times, him and Oweh would give us great versatility at the one, two and three spots. Just a huge recruit that would really strengthen the roster with his shooting, scoring, handling and experience. A tough hard nosed player like Oweh, the type of players can win a lot with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT