ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watch High School football?

Boyd94

Junior
Feb 16, 2022
Ashland looks good from this area. Boyd County is mid. I thought Greenup County might be decent but they got smashed by Ashland.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
Ashland looks good from this area. Boyd County is mid. I thought Greenup County might be decent but they got smashed by Ashland.

Corbin always good - Bell Co tough again

Surprised that the Lexington schools mostly look down this year

Work with a guy who's son QB's for Layfayette

Pikeville down as well

I'm from Middlesboro so I mostly know that region and my new home in Lexington - my yellow jackets are 2-3 and not nearly as potent as the last few years

Clark Co making a comeback to being a tough team I think

Lexington Christian is the beat Lex area team?

I love learning about different schools in different regions of KY!

Probably going to the Middlesboro / Harlan game next week at Lee Majors Field

PS - Henry Clay and Tates Creek both seem to suck badly now - is that because Fred-Douglas takes their players?

I saw where they beat a highly ranked team in Ohio.

I get Boyle and Boyd Co confused
One is Ashland and really tough I think
The other is Danville area and mediocre?

Somerset used to be perennially tough - hope they resurrect

Pikeville REALLY down this year after being state champs

Belfry another fun one to keep up with

Don't understand the Jessamine Co teams - are they historically tough? Newer schools?

Pikeville down as well

I'm from Middlesboro so I mostly know that region and my new home in Lexington - my yellow jackets are 2-3 and not nearly as potent as the last few years

PS - Henry Clay and Tates Creek both seem to suck badly now - is that because Fred-Douglas takes their players?
Bell County ain’t that good this year, got beat by North Laurel at home, North got trounced by Johnson Central last week.

Reactions: CastleRubric
Yes. Longtime fan of high school football. My team is Boyle Co, and they look special this year. Ranked nationally.

Benefitting a good deal from the Danville Admiral implosion across town. But Boyle is definitely elite and has arguably the best head coach in the state.

Reactions: JRCAT14 and know1
I always forget about the schools up towards Cincy - really don't know that area of Kentucky well

Beechwood is another traditional power as I recall
Not sure how they are doing

Know exactly ZIlch about western Kentucky schools

Seems like Ft Knox and Ft Campbell area would have good programs

Any surprise teams this year so far?

Can’t say enough about the Big Blue of Paducah Tilghman this year. 7-0 and their closest game was a 25 point win. PTHS is the only high school in the country with 500 football wins and 2000 basketball wins.

Also have to give credit to Mayfield High School in Western Kentucky. 450 students, 13 state championships and 13 runner-ups.
The Cardinals are the 4th winningest high school football team in the USA.

BG Purples continue to run 5A, South Warren also very good.
South Warren should be good because their head coach (Brandon Smith) is a product of Boyle County and the son of the man who built it (Chuck Smith).

It's interesting to me that both Haddix and Smith were state championship winning QBs, both played at WKU at the same time, and now both are rocking it on the HS coaching scene.

Pikeville down as well

Frederick Douglass has a nice little “feeder” system in place.

South Warren should be good because their head coach (Brandon Smith) is a product of Boyle County and the son of the man who built it (Chuck Smith).

It's interesting to me that both Haddix and Smith were state championship winning QBs, both played at WKU at the same time, and now both are rocking it on the HS coaching scene
Agree. And the Purples keep on rolling after losing Kevin Wallace to St. X. On the bad side, South Warren when opened put a big hit on Greenwood's sports programs. They took the county students and really hurt the talent pool.

---
Boyle recruits well, so they should be good.
They don’t recruit but kids transfer in to play. That’s been going on for decades in hs sports. There was a time most Boyle kids that could play went to Danville. Doesn’t hurt that Boyle is a top 10 ky public school either. Danville is such a poorly run school now they get several kids from there. It’s not just football as the problem there.

Reactions: know1
Can’t say enough about the Big Blue of Paducah Tilghman this year. 7-0 and their closest game was a 25 point win. PTHS is the only high school in the country with 500 football wins and 2000 basketball wins.

Also have to give credit to Mayfield High School in Western Kentucky. 450 students, 13 state championships and 13 runner-ups.
The Cardinals are the 4th winningest high school football team in the USA.
PT for me!!! My son is a freshman this year but they won a state championship last year in 8th grade vs Boyle. That class should be special.
The team this year is stacked with D1 talent, but will they be disciplined enough to beat Boyle county. They can absolutely match them athlete for athlete.

• Love
Reactions: BBNinSC
Seriously what happened to Danville? There has to be a story there. They are awful
There was drama involving the former Superintendent cutting budgets among other things, and then later firing the former football coach (Clay Clevenger) back in 2021. The coach was a Danville grad and had won a state championship as a coach, and the Superintendent was an "outsider" who didn't seem to have much care about athletics.

Clevenger went out on his own to start raising funds after the district cut some of the football's budget and focus on youth development, and this apparently angered the Superintendent because it subverted her judgment and authority. This probably lead to some whispers and gossip being thrown around about the Superintendent's competency to run the school district AND allow for a successful athletics program. The school firing the coach lead to so much outcry that the Superintendent resigned later in the year.

This article tells a lot: https://www.amnews.com/2021/02/01/clevenger-fired-from-post-as-danville-football-coach/

The whole situation has done a lot of damage to their program, and it has likely pushed some kids over into the Boyle County program as a result. It might be difficult to recover from that for a long time, if ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockfly78
They don’t recruit but kids transfer in to play. That’s been going on for decades in hs sports. There was a time most Boyle kids that could play went to Danville. Doesn’t hurt that Boyle is a top 10 ky public school either. Danville is such a poorly run school now they get several kids from there. It’s not just football as the problem there.
Agreed, kids from surrounding schools seem to want to audition and are willing to pay an out of district tuition for the opportunity to play for Boyle. It's not like the private schools that can offer tuition waivers as a way to "recruit". That's what I always imagined high school recruiting to be unless the school goes out to hire the parent of great athlete. That's what Danville did with Jeremy Britt back in the late 90's (hired his mom, I believe).

There was drama involving the former Superintendent cutting budgets among other things, and then later firing the former football coach (Clay Clevenger) back in 2021. The coach was a Danville grad and had won a state championship as a coach, and the Superintendent was an "outsider" who didn't seem to have mcuh care about athletics.

Clevenger went out on his own to start raising funds after the district cut some of the football's budget and focus on youth development, and this apparently angered the Superintendent because it subverted her judgment and authority. This probably lead to some whispers and gossip being thrown around about the Superintendent's competency to run the school district AND allow for a successful athletics program. The school firing the coach lead to so much outcry that the Superintendent resigned later in the year.

This article tells a lot: https://www.amnews.com/2021/02/01/clevenger-fired-from-post-as-danville-football-coach/

The whole situation has done a lot of damage to their program, and it has likely pushed some kids over into the Boyle County program as a result. It might be difficult to recover from that for a long time, if ever.
I look for Boyle and Danville to merge in the next few years.

I look for Boyle and Danville to merge in the next few years.
Maybe, but I don't think that Danville Independent has a funding problem like a lot of other struggling independent districts thanks in part to the hospital and with Danville being a regional hub to the surrounding counties.

There has been discussion of consolidating many school districts for decades now, but it rarely seems to happen. Harrodsburg and Mercer County merging was somewhat of a surprise when it actually happened, but Harrodsburg isn't exactly Danville.

PT for me!!! My son is a freshman this year but they won a state championship last year in 8th grade vs Boyle. That class should be special.
The team this year is stacked with D1 talent, but will they be disciplined enough to beat Boyle county. They can absolutely match them athlete for athlete.
I’d love to be close enough to see a game.
My brother-in-law runs the grill during PT home games. Stop by and say hi to Keith and get one of those grilled chicken breast sandwiches.

It’s mainly because coaching in Lexington is not very good. Especially at the middle school level. These kids get to high school and don’t know how to practice.
They also used to have a bunch of ridiculous rules for middle school football to keep it "safe". They get to high school never having covered a punt or kick. I remember they had some rule against LBs crossing over the line of scrimmage or something like that.

Reactions: BIGBLUEQ
Always been a fan oh HS football. Even when I was transferred to other states throughout my working career, I would attend the local games. Living in Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas most of those years, I was never too far away from a “quality” football game.

My alma mater is in Ashland however…..once a Tomcat, ALWAYS a Tomcat!

My son plays for a team in southcentral Kentucky. I would rather not reveal the school because people could probably figure out who I am and I would rather remain anonymous. He's a good player started every game as a freshman last year and is receiving letters from colleges about football already. Kentucky high school football has improved a lot since I played. Having spring practice is the big thing that helped. Also they are doing something football related at our school year round except for the dead period.

Seriously what happened to Danville? There has to be a story there. They are awful
The school as a whole has been run into the ground progressively the last decade and they keep ending up hiring superintendents that are either anti-sports or grossly incompetent. Clevenger won a title there several years back and they started taking program things away bit by bit as a personal battle between a particular superint and him. He was let go. He was a Danville lifer that won games there. When that superint was let go there was a chance to hire him back. They didn’t and a coach’s buddy was hired from Berea with no history of success. Clevenger then took the job at somerset and immediately got to their class’s semifinals. Many proud longtime Danville families threw in the towel after that.

The school as a whole has been run into the ground progressively the last decade and they keep ending up hiring superintendents that are either anti-sports or grossly incompetent. Clevenger won a title there several years back and they started taking program things away bit by bit as a personal battle between a particular superint and him. He was let go. He was a Danville lifer that won games there. When that superint was let go there was a chance to hire him back. They didn’t and a coach’s buddy was hired from Berea with no history of success. Clevenger then took the job at somerset and immediately got to their class’s semifinals. Many proud longtime Danville families threw in the towel after that.
Most the rest of the kids there migrated over to Boyle, right?

Most the rest of the kids there migrated over to Boyle, right?
Yes. Example…the lineman McClure is a blue to the bone Danville family that would never have gone to Boyle under any circumstance historically but he transferred out after the last hire Danville made. Just not serious anymore. They just couldn’t do it anyMore

Academically Danville has gone downhill as well. In the testing scores that just came out, they are in the bottom 10 high schools in the state. That's another reason kids are transferring.

Always been a fan oh HS football. Even when I was transferred to other states throughout my working career, I would attend the local games. Living in Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas most of those years, I was never too far away from a “quality” football game.

My alma mater is in Ashland however…..once a Tomcat, ALWAYS a Tomcat!
My Town TV shows most Ashland games on utube or the app for free if you didn’t already know that. Go Tomcats!

Academically Danville has gone downhill as well. In the testing scores that just came out, they are in the bottom 10 high schools in the state. That's another reason kids are transferring.
Yep. Just poorly run system at this point

What has happened at Todd County Central? Was at the Owensboro Catholic game last night and Todd County only had 17 players dressed.

Do you guys think that there are roughly the same # of HS kids playing football now as there was 20-30 yrs ago?

Not something we can show data on but im curious what y'all think

Seems like some smaller schools particularly would be at risk for fading a bit unless they consolidate maybe

I’d love to be close enough to see a game.
My brother-in-law runs the grill during PT home games. Stop by and say hi to Keith and get one of those grilled chicken breast sandwiches.
Will do, you can watch on YouTube PT Athletics for home games

Have been a Trinity fan and season ticket holder for many, many years. Obviously have seen plenty good players on teams over the years and a ton of very good Trinity teams. 28 titles in Ky’s largest class. Always well coached and determined. Play the toughest schedule year in and out in Ky.

Just last night they played Cincy St X with Kirk Herbstreit in attendance to watch his qb son and UK OT commit 6 5 290 Eric Kattus.

Really enjoy HS football and admire all the kids at every school. NIL has pushed me even further toward all high school sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT