ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Taking/Have Taken Art Classes?

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
I don't mean in high school/college. Just some kind of classes you take/took at a local place. I've been wanting to get a new hobby and try my hand at some kind of art. I'm hoping I can find a place that might do free or relatively cheap classes in the Louisville area. I might see if the VA offers some kind of program to teach art.

I thought about trying my hand at painting. I've only done it like once in art class in middle school. I was always fascinated with how Bob Ross could dab on some paint and create those masterpieces. Mine probably would be like "happy (more like sad) accidents."

I also wouldn't mind getting back into drawing. I used to be decent at it with no teaching. I could do a pretty good job drawing things I can see. Yet I couldn't draw jack squat from memory. I wouldn't mind learning some better techniques. I probably could do much better with some teaching.

I decided to try and draw something and see how I could do after not really doing anything for probably close to 30 years. So I pulled out my dusty old sketch pad, watched a video on drawing this below, and gave it a shot. The beak is a little off from the real thing, but it was how they showed to do it. It was just done on some dirty old scrap paper. I'm not very good with shading so try not to be to harsh.

JVMpItu.jpeg

My local (very small) museum has some glass blowing classes that I'm really interested in attending. All of my hobbies are pretty physically demanding (sports/lifting), so I need to expand my options as I get older and focus more on keeping my mind sharp. Be cool to hear about your experience...

My local (very small) museum has some glass blowing classes that I'm really interested in attending. All of my hobbies are pretty physically demanding (sports/lifting), so I need to expand my options as I get older and focus more on keeping my mind sharp. Be cool to hear about your experience...
I saw some glassblowers at Stone Mountain. It looks as bad-ass as ever,but man it seems like there’s zero margin for error (health wise)

Reactions: KyCatFan
Get at it @KyCatFan. I used to be a really good drawer back in my youth but gave it up after I discovered "better" things to do in my 20s like partying. I haven't drawn in over 30 years. We have taken a few of the paint classes at a few different Louisville locations where everyone paints the same thing lead by the instructor. I loved it and we have a few of our paintings in our home. It's never too late to pick anything up.

Not sure where you live in Louisville but if you are on the East end you should check out Whet Your Pallette in Anchorage. I haven’t been there but I know several who have been & liked it. They offer painting lessons, guitar lessons, piano lessons, etc...plus they have a liquor license so you can catch a buzz whilst painting...just like Bob Ross...although I’m sure he was high on much more powerful stuff.

You can check out info on that place and other options in the following article...

https://styleblueprint.com/louisville/everyday/adult-education-louisville/

Near my neighborhood, there was a glass blowing store where you could buy things they made or help make a few different things. My kids both made glass ornaments one Christmas there. Unfortunately, it went out of business in the last year or so.
It's great to hear that you're interested in trying out some new hobbies and exploring the world of art! Taking local classes is a fantastic way to improve your skills and meet other artists. It's a good idea to look for free or affordable classes in your area, and the VA might have some programs that can help you get started. It's also inspiring to see that you're willing to challenge yourself and try new things, even if it's been a while since you've picked up a pencil or brush.
Appreciate the reply.
Not sure where you live in Louisville but if you are on the East end you should check out Whet Your Pallette in Anchorage. I haven’t been there but I know several who have been & liked it. They offer painting lessons, guitar lessons, piano lessons, etc...plus they have a liquor license so you can catch a buzz whilst painting...just like Bob Ross...although I’m sure he was high on much more powerful stuff.

You can check out info on that place and other options in the following article...

https://styleblueprint.com/louisville/everyday/adult-education-louisville/
Thanks for the response. I'll check that link out. I live in the south end just across the Bullitt County line. Seems like most of the art places I've come across so far are in the east end or downtown. I did find this place off Dixie Hwy but couldn't find an updated schedule. I'll have to give them a call and see if they have a new schedule.

sz7tenN.jpeg

No.
No fine muscle skills
Tone deaf
2 left feet
No sense of rhythm
The balance of a warped Slinky
The color sensibility of a golfer

I don't mean in high school/college. Just some kind of classes you take/took at a local place. I've been wanting to get a new hobby and try my hand at some kind of art. I'm hoping I can find a place that might do free or relatively cheap classes in the Louisville area. I might see if the VA offers some kind of program to teach art.

I thought about trying my hand at painting. I've only done it like once in art class in middle school. I was always fascinated with how Bob Ross could dab on some paint and create those masterpieces. Mine probably would be like "happy (more like sad) accidents."

I also wouldn't mind getting back into drawing. I used to be decent at it with no teaching. I could do a pretty good job drawing things I can see. Yet I couldn't draw jack squat from memory. I wouldn't mind learning some better techniques. I probably could do much better with some teaching.

I decided to try and draw something and see how I could do after not really doing anything for probably close to 30 years. So I pulled out my dusty old sketch pad, watched a video on drawing this below, and gave it a shot. The beak is a little off from the real thing, but it was how they showed to do it. It was just done on some dirty old scrap paper. I'm not very good with shading so try not to be to harsh.

JVMpItu.jpeg

Good for you!

Music is my chosen "art" form ("art" in parenthesis because I play lead guitar in a cover band... not sure that qualifies as "art"... lol).

Anyway, hobbies, and creative arts in particular, are great for the soul.

Good for you!

Music is my chosen "art" form ("art" in parenthesis because I play lead guitar in a cover band... not sure that qualifies as "art"... lol).

Anyway, hobbies, and creative arts in particular, are great for the soul.
I might be open to doing music. I have an electric guitar (nothing fancy) that was given to me when my stepdad died. He had a number of guitars from playing in a band years ago. I never really got to learn to play one.

I tried on my own to learn, but I just don't do music by myself. At least not yet. I played saxophone for 6 years back in school, but never could keep with it playing alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT