ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever been on a train vacation?

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
Seems like a good way to see the county without having to drive for hundreds of miles everyday. I checked Amtrak and it seems a little pricey though. Just curious if any of you well travelled folks have taken a train ride to see our beautiful country.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
Train ride from Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle. The German country is remarkably beautiful. I'd imagine a train ride here is a lot of nothingness in-between because of how spread out we are.

I wanted to go to the Final Four in Seattle 1984.
Could not find a flight so I drove to Chicago and took The Empire Builder” to Seattle. Amtrak. Missed a different return train back and once again found myself on the Empire Builder back to Chitown.

Very interesting trip and a train full of characters. Spent a lot of time in the glass enclosed car that had a bar and characters. Memorable.
——-
  • Chicago
  • St. Paul/Minneapolis
  • Spokane
  • Portland/Seattle
46 hoursDaily Departure
Experience the rugged splendor of the American West. Traveling between Chicago and the Pacific Northwest along major portions of the Lewis and Clark trail, the mighty Empire Builder takes you on an exciting adventure through majestic wilderness, following the footsteps of early pioneers. From Chicago, you'll have magnificent views of the Mississippi and see the glowing night skyline of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Awake the next morning as you cross the North Dakota plains and travel over the spectacular Gassman Coulee Trestle. Skirting the Missouri, you'll cross into the Big Sky country in Montana, passing by a travelers favorite, Glacier National Park. From Spokane, you can continue on to Seattle or head down the Columbia River Gorge toward Portland for spectacular views of Mt. Hood and Beacon Rock.

Wife and I were just looking at YouTube videos Monday night of the Rocky Mountaineer train wondering if it is something we’d like.

Looked pretty cool. Train was very nice with near full class roof so you could get panoramic views. Highest level ticket put you in a train car that had a separate dining area. Train is not meant to sleep on so it stops after a days travel in a town and you stay at a hotel.

I've traveled around western Europe on a train, not here in the US. I would really like to do it someday though.

Reactions: KINGBEAST
Risky Business Train Ride Tangerine Dream - Love On A Real Train  REMIX_v2Beta on Make a GIF

Everytime I’ve seen a movie with a cool looking European or Oriental train I’ve thought I would be really fun to do a luxury train ride with the wife and kids but looking into it it trains just aren’t really a big thing in the US.

Everytime I’ve seen a movie with a cool looking European or Oriental train I’ve thought I would be really fun to do a luxury train ride with the wife and kids but looking into it it trains just aren’t really a big thing in the US.
I had a friend who did a tour of Europe by train. They said it was pretty cool. I don't know anyone personally who has did it in the US.

I took a luxury train trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town South Africa. It is essentially from one end of the country to the other. The train was restored from the early 1900's. It was a great experience and we got to see a lot including a stop at the Kimberly diamond mine which brought so much wealth to South Africa. The meals were top notch and served with excellent wines. The cabins were a bit small as would be expected. Highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Save the money and wait to go to a different country with good rail travel. 2 family members have done the cross country US trains and neither had much in the way of good remarks. For what it costs too it’s an amazing ripoff.

A few months back my better half and I were in New Zealand. Took a great train day trip on the TranzAlpine train across the South Island from Christchurch to Greymouth. Trip was about 4-1/2 hours. It was pretty cool. Made me curious about train trips here in North America. We’re considering a train trip across western Canada in a couple years when we are both retired.

Reactions: chroix
The train system in Europe is amazing. You can travel between damn near any two cities for like $20, there's no security checkpoint, and you only have to arrive like 2 minutes before departure. Bring as much baggage as you like. Wi-fi. Etc.

I've looked at train tickets in the US mostly out of curiosity, and it seems every one is more expensive and like 10x longer than flying. Not sure why anyone would do that.

One thing I do find amazing is that they have vacations that are 2+ weeks long and the starting ticket is to just sit/sleep in your reclining chair for over 2 weeks. If you bump up to a private room with a bed your ticket more than doubles and in some cases more than that. Who would seriously want to travel in a train and have to sleep in a reclining chair with other people all around you for 15-16 days?

Reactions: SosaUK1987
Not gonna lie, the high speed rail system in China is pretty cool. Ridden it several times while on business there, including for fairly long hauls. The bullet trains go about 160-200+mph. Never had any delays at all. There are three seating classes, business, first, and, second (from highest to lowest). In business, you get a seat that fully reclines. The first class seats are pretty wide and spacious too.

Anyway, China was able to build it out quickly because, well, the gov't owns all the land. Not having to worry about property rights makes things easier (not saying that's a good thing AT ALL). Also, the system apparently loses billions each year. That being said, it appears to be efficient and otherwise well-run. Beijing to Shanghai in 4 hours, 18 minutes for about $80.

Last edited:
Reactions: CashM03
We took an Amtrak train from Iowa to Denver once. We left around 7 PM and got to Denver the next morning. After renting two small sleepers, it was about the same cost as airfare and took just as long as a car. The interesting part was dinner. Our tix included dinner since we paid for the sleepers. Due to space limitations they seat 4 people to a table. We were a group of 3, so a stranger was seated with us. There was a table of 4 guys that didn't know each other (they all looked homeless). For some reason they all ended up arguing with the waitress and each other. It caused quiet the commotion.

I'd consider taking the train west of Denver only to take in the views without having to worry about driving.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Seems like a good way to see the county without having to drive for hundreds of miles everyday. I checked Amtrak and it seems a little pricey though. Just curious if any of you well travelled folks have taken a train ride to see our beautiful country.

I've been trying to talk my wife into it. She's too big a beach fan, though, so it's gonna be tough to pull off. I'd like to see the West and not have to drive for an eternity.

Buddy has done the NYC to California by train. He was a merchant seaman, so he had 4 months off ship to get in trouble. Got off in Cincy, Chicago, Colorado Springs, or thereabouts, and ended up in California.

I've done Amtrak from Stamford, Ct to Baltimore and also Stamford to Boston. Like others have said, same amount of time to drive, but bar car helps and drops you in the middle of the city for the most part, avoids traffic, parking, etc.

I’ve traveled across the US on train and Europe and we are much worse at it than they are. Also you haven’t traveled by rail until your AC goes out through the desert southwest in the summer.

Took my wife and 2 teen daughters on the Amtrak Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Didn't have any delays, seats were fairly comfortable with a foot rest. Cost of all 4 tickets was about what I would have paid to park the car in the garage at the Embassy Suites and didn't have to stress about driving or buy gas.

The only caveat is the odd schedule. Got on in Cincy at about 2 AM and arrived at 10:00 AM. Whistle blows at every crossing so a cat nap was the best sleep we had. Coming back got on at 6 PM and got to Cincy at around 3 AM. So it's basically 2 red-eyes. They have a car that sells food which was open during limited hours (not overnight).

I thought it would be a mad scramble trying to find seats together, but as you board they ask for the number in your party and assign seats to you, which was a relief.

We all said we'd do it again. My daughter goes to school in DC and I've been tempted to ride the Cardinal in that direction but 14 hours is daunting.

Amtrak is a microcosm of a third world country transplanted to the USA. If you like delays, a/c going out on cars, and shitty service, then it's the right choice for you.
Its run by the fed'l govt, right?

Reactions: IdaCat
Its run by the fed'l govt, right?
Basically, yeah.

"Amtrak is a federally chartered corporation, with the federal government as majority stockholder. The Amtrak Board of Directors is appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. Amtrak is operated as a for-profit company, rather than a public authority."

Basically, yeah.

"Amtrak is a federally chartered corporation, with the federal government as majority stockholder. The Amtrak Board of Directors is appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the U.S. Senate. Amtrak is operated as a for-profit company, rather than a public authority."
I was being facetious.

Of course, if it sucks, the fed'l govt owns/runs it... that's a given lol.

Went from Paris to Rennes on the their high speed rail. Traveled around Bavaria and Frankfurt area via train. Enjoyed both tremendously. Not exactly a train vacation.

We've always promised ourselves to do the transcontinental trip across Canada one day.

Nice to see others have enjoyed trains. They're surprisingly environmentally friendly. I always think of trains with clouds of coal smoke from the funnels but modern trains are very good at moving things and people inexpensively and with low CO2.

Another thing that's something of a myth is their noise. +60 years ago we lived near the L&N tracks in Louisville, and I can't recall ever hearing a train. You quickly become accustomed to the noise and just becomes background. Well, one night in Gallup, New Mexico, our motel room was right by the Southern Pacific yards and we heard those trains all night.

I've been trying to talk my wife into it. She's too big a beach fan, though, so it's gonna be tough to pull off. I'd like to see the West and not have to drive for an eternity.
Been out West many times and could go every month. Love the vistas and all the wide open spaces.

Been out West many times and could go every month. Love the vistas and all the wide open spaces.
We drove from Moab to Salt Lake City last fall. The highway parallels the train track for much of that, but I can't remember ever seeing a train on it. But that's not what I'm thinking about. Trains can weigh over 20,000 tons. The tracks we saw were built up on uniform little hills of dirt, and those hills had fairly high slopes. It just looked as if a train passing would shake those hills apart, but obviously they don't. I bet those tracks had been laid before my father was born. They just don't look stable. So, capsule picture of how easily perplexed I am: when I wasn't driving I was looking at that track wondering what I wasn't seeing. (It's a pretty long drive from Moab to Salt Lake City.)

Amtrak is very pricey but nice. There is a train that runs from my town in Washington to where the Seahawks play but it is 150 dollars round trip. But it runs along the coastline. I've only done it once.

Tell her you want to do a guys only trip like that. Talk it up about how you and some dudes have it all planned out and all the cool places, etc.

It'll be you and her on that trip in no time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT