ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else miss the old signing day shows during the early days of the Stoops era?

UKfan215

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2003
I wish UK Athletics would bring back the style of signing day show they produced during Stoops first seasons here at Kentucky. Those were great. The shows lasted for 4 or even 5 hours and there was tons of analysis on the recruits, lots of video, and interviews with pretty much every member of the coaching staff. It was interesting, as it was the most we got to hear from a lot of the position coaches. Here is one from 2014:

Now we only have a boring 30 minute or one hour press conference from Stoops and maybe the coordinators without any of the analysis, video or other good stuff we used to get. Why did UK go from doing those amazing signing day shows to the crap we have now? IMHO, the old style shows would be even better today with all of the portal players, as there will be more video of actual college level performances to look at and discuss.

If someone in a position of power within UK Athletics reads this, please bring back the 2014 type signing day special coverage! As fans, we love and eat this kind of stuff up. Hell, I used to take signing day off just so I could follow everything. Now there is nothing to follow.

Pretty much the same everywhere, it's not only a UK thing. Signing Day is an afterthought anymore.

Reactions: Cat06
Too much going on in Dec. Recruiting high school kids, re Recruiting the roster to keep guys from leaving, visits of portal guys, hiring and firing staff, bowl practice and prep.

Reactions: Cat06 and JDHoss
I wish UK Athletics would bring back the style of signing day show they produced during Stoops first seasons here at Kentucky. Those were great. The shows lasted for 4 or even 5 hours and there was tons of analysis on the recruits, lots of video, and interviews with pretty much every member of the coaching staff. It was interesting, as it was the most we got to hear from a lot of the position coaches. Here is one from 2014:

Now we only have a boring 30 minute or one hour press conference from Stoops and maybe the coordinators without any of the analysis, video or other good stuff we used to get. Why did UK go from doing those amazing signing day shows to the crap we have now? IMHO, the old style shows would be even better today with all of the portal players, as there will be more video of actual college level performances to look at and discuss.

If someone in a position of power within UK Athletics reads this, please bring back the 2014 type signing day special coverage! As fans, we love and eat this kind of stuff up. Hell, I used to take signing day off just so I could follow everything. Now there is nothing to follow.

The fun part came after Stoops' opening remarks, when he said "Here's the Big Dog". I miss hearing Coach Marrow talk about the class.

I wish UK Athletics would bring back the style of signing day show they produced during Stoops first seasons here at Kentucky.
I think the advent of 2 signing dates (Dec & Feb) reduced the excitement and drama that used to be part of signing day. The majority of players sign in Dec, but recruiting isn’t officially over until Feb signing day.

I think the early Dec signing day benefits teams like UK, but I agree that it takes the excitement out of the Feb signing date.

I think the advent of 2 signing dates (Dec & Feb) reduced the excitement and drama that used to be part of signing day. The majority of players sign in Dec, but recruiting isn’t officially over until Feb signing day.

I think the early Dec signing day benefits teams like UK, but I agree that it takes the excitement out of the Feb signing date.

This was my reason for not wanting the early signing day. Maybe it helped with the decommits and flips but not as much as the hope was. Traditional signing dY was all that was going on back then. Now we have bowl practice, coach hunting, transfer grabbing , the signing of high school kids just doesn't seem as exciting. And with fee transfers and NIL, signings mean nothing. Someone offers a better deal transfer before you even get to campus.

Reactions: K_TIME
This was my reason for not wanting the early signing day. Maybe it helped with the decommits and flips but not as much as the hope was. Traditional signing dY was all that was going on back then. Now we have bowl practice, coach hunting, transfer grabbing , the signing of high school kids just doesn't seem as exciting. And with fee transfers and NIL, signings mean nothing. Someone offers a better deal transfer before you even get to campus.
Early signing period has been good for UK. I’ll take what helps the program over the one day pageantry for fans in Feb.

But, I agree the February signing day was one day of excitement!

I agree with you that mass transfers takes away a lot of excitement from hs recruiting. Who knows if the players will stick around.

Mailing it in now, unfortunately. It's pretty sad, but maybe they can't find enough sponsorships because it competes with NIL? Really enjoyed those shows

Early signing period has been good for UK. I’ll take what helps the program over the one day pageantry for fans in Feb.

But, I agree the February signing day was one day of excitement!

I agree with you that mass transfers takes away a lot of excitement from hs recruiting. Who knows if the players will stick around.

It has been good for UGA too, but regular signing day would have been too, just like it would be for UK. UK getting better has more to do with better classes that a December signing day, and program stability. But that is why the signing day shows lost their luster. Now with the way NIL is working we might as well have auctions and just do away with it altogether.

Reactions: bballcat4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT