ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else interested in seeing these NIL deals...

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
signed before enrollment, where the contract stipulates what school they must attend?

The NCAA has GOT TO BE licking its chops in anticipation of fines and bribe money not to sanction/suspend/or declare I ELIGIBLE ALL of these athletes that are accepting inducements to attend certain schools before they've even enrolled or been able to officially sign with a school. Of course, we'll never see the contracts, but the NCAA will if the programs remain members of the association. When they addressed NIL very briefly, this was what they said would be forbidden, so is it just desperation on the part of the schools willing to induce and even help arrange the athletes' inducements?

(Please forgive any sarcasm/sardonicism in this post. Just interested to hear other predictions and thoughts on what's going on and coming as this mess continues unabated.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SosaUK87
signed before enrollment, where the contract stipulates what school they must attend?

The NCAA has GOT TO BE licking its chops in anticipation of fines and bribe money not to sanction/suspend/or declare I ELIGIBLE ALL of these athletes that are accepting inducements to attend certain schools before they've even enrolled or been able to officially sign with a school. Of course, we'll never see the contracts, but the NCAA will if the programs remain members of the association. When they addressed NIL very briefly, this was what they said would be forbidden, so is it just desperation on the part of the schools willing to induce and even help arrange the athletes' inducements?
Good grief, your understanding of what is going on and what will happen is sophomoric. First, what makes you think these contracts exist before signing with a school and if they do exist, what makes you think they lay out a pay for play scheme for all to see?

Second, the NCAA has no ability to review private contracts and the schools are already on thin ice by requiring their approval for all deals. I can guarantee you that every one of these deals has been written and scrutinized by more than 1 good attorney. The first action by the NCAA against any of these deals will have lawyers lining up.

Now that the benefits of amateurism have been set aside, there is no viable position for limiting kids earning power in any way. It isn't going to get better, it is going to get worse with schools like UK, who are trying to facilitate NIL in a mutually beneficial way, getting out of the firing line all together.

The only real control would require a player association but that would also be the final nail in college sports. You may as well enjoy the ride til the system implodes. Personally, I can't wait til it does.

• Haha
Reactions: gojvc and Girthang

Unfortunately none of it matters because even if they wanted to do something, their ability to investigate and enforce any of this is non-existent.

We're way beyond them having the ability to stop this imo

I am with on this. But how can the NCAA demand to see a private contract without subpoena power?

It's an association of member institutions. As such, they can have membership revoked. Not saying they will do that or threaten that, but an inducement is an inducement. The program can either show the contract or they can be punished, as UK Basketball was punished, merely for the suspicion of involvement/payment. They didn't have to prove the money came from UK or its boosters.

They will of course wait for an appropriate sacrifice like UK to jump in so they can hammer THEM rather than any sacred cash cow. Why give them one?

It's wise not to join the fray right now. Force the NCAA to make an example of someone else, or completely implode under the weight of NIL, freeing the member institutions to leave an association that has lost institutional control through its inability to enforce the association's own rules judiciously and so they can form their own super conference(s) and association(s) for football and basketball.

This is just my thoughts on the entire situation and subject right now. It's all a chess match right now for the attys to play. Imagine how much more money there would be for the power programs if the NCAA itself wasn't taking a cut. No sub-divisions to support. Revenue in the future will be based on viewership and sales rather than conferences. The cash cows will thrive and feed on the rest as any parity the also-rans once saw quickly evaporates.

There's no way the NCAA can allow these inducements and claim the athletes aren't professionals. They can't maintain their tax status and they don't want to kill their cows, so what do they do? They either open the doors wide open to any and all payments, and lose their tax status as an association, or they have to punish everybody that is doing this wrong.

Good grief, your understanding of what is going on and what will happen is sophomoric. First, what makes you think these contracts exist before signing with a school and if they do exist, what makes you think they lay out a pay for play scheme for all to see?

Second, the NCAA has no ability to review private contracts and the schools are already on thin ice by requiring their approval for all deals. I can guarantee you that every one of these deals has been written and scrutinized by more than 1 good attorney. The first action by the NCAA against any of these deals will have lawyers lining up.

Now that the benefits of amateurism have been set aside, there is no viable position for limiting kids earning power in any way. It isn't going to get better, it is going to get worse with schools like UK, who are trying to facilitate NIL in a mutually beneficial way, getting out of the firing line all together.
The only real control would require a player association but that would also be the final nail in college sports. You may as well enjoy the ride til the system implodes. Personally, I can't wait til it does.

Lol

If you don't think there are contracts stipulating these things, sophomoric is way above whose capacity? since we seem to have the same idea of where this is going, I mean.

I don't care what happens to the ncaa. It's been bullsht for far too long already. I used to care about college football, but still care about the sport and the players, so there's that. It's a for-profit business and always has been, just like the university system. It's meant to serve itself and line some peoples' pockets while distracting a formerly industrious populace from the destruction of the country by their politicians. I'm no longer invested financially, but still have some emotional ties to specific teams for nostalgia sake.

The ncaa could do something, but won't, just as they have for decades except when it suits them (profits them). It's just become more and more obvious of late to the point where they serve no real purpose other than maybe a figurehead or buffer for the member institutions, but NIL has laid that bare.

I am with on this. But how can the NCAA demand to see a private contract without subpoena power?
If in possession of a state/public University, open records requests would get it done.

So, the State Schools will never possess a copy or copies!!

Reactions: Girthang
Great point on private contracts

But also to their likelihood to enforce..do you honestly see NCAA cracking in on all the big schools that are doing it? Do you really see all the Sec schools, Most of Big10 schools, etc being penalized?

That is where Mitch’s stance is so lacking is he’s applying a rule to UK while watching all of our rivals ignore it and it looks like we’ll be left behind and an excuse “that we did it the right way” but nobody but some of us will even give a rip

So just get in the game and do it for Pete sake

Reactions: Girthang and jauk11
Lol

If you don't think there are contracts stipulating these things, sophomoric is way above whose capacity? since we seem to have the same idea of where this is going, I mean.

I don't care what happens to the ncaa. It's been bullsht for far too long already. I used to care about college football, but still care about the sport and the players, so there's that. It's a for-profit business and always has been, just like the university system. It's meant to serve itself and line some peoples' pockets while distracting a formerly industrious populace from the destruction of the country by their politicians. I'm no longer invested financially, but still have some emotional ties to specific teams for nostalgia sake.

The ncaa could do something, but won't, just as they have for decades except when it suits them (profits them). It's just become more and more obvious of late to the point where they serve no real purpose other than maybe a figurehead or buffer for the member institutions, but NIL has laid that bare.
As usual, you didn't answer any of my questions.

• Haha
That is where Mitch’s stance is so lacking
I’m reading tea leaves like everybody else.

I suspect the NCAA will be forced to sh!t or get off the pot by Summers’ end, and either risk litigation by enforcing rules still on the books, disallowing boosters from working with recruits, or throw up it’s hands and say “let it all roll!”

We do appear at a disadvantage at the moment. If and when collectives of boosters are officially allowed, we need to kick in!

Reactions: JHB4UK and K_TIME
If in possession of a state/public University, open records requests would get it done.

All major schools require student athletes to disclose the terms of their NIL deals to the athletics department (pretty much all of them use a platform like INFLCR).

So the schools know what deals their athletes are signing and how much they’re getting paid.

A number of news organizations have submitted open records requests and, predictably, schools have declined those requests (usually citing FERPA).

Some of those news outlets, like the Athens Banner-Herald, have gone to court to try to force schools to release the info. The Banner-Herald sued UGA last fall to try to obtain the details of Georgia student athletes’ NIL deals. Judge heard arguments on this about a month ago, but I don’t believe there’s been a decision yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
Anybody, including Mitch Barnhart, who thinks there will be some NCAA trophy awarded to the schools who don't use NIL to recruit great talent for the money maker of your school is quite frankly dumb and clueless. Willingness to defund an athletic department, by starving the football program of players needed to win, just to prove some pathetic self righteous moral superiority over others willing to do what is necessary.

Anybody, including Mitch Barnhart, who thinks there will be some NCAA trophy awarded to the schools who don't use NIL to recruit great talent for the money maker of your school is quite frankly dumb and clueless. Willingness to defund an athletic department, by starving the football program of players needed to win, just to prove some pathetic self righteous moral superiority over others willing to do what is necessary.
This is it in a nutshell.

Mitch is doing what he thinks should be the rules instead of just going with what the rules actually are. We will have a really bad class this year in football...we all need to brace for it. And then it turns to is Mitch going to pivot or dig in for beyond 2022. If he digs in....then you'll be risking not just recruits but also Stoops/Marrow aren't likely to stay at UK if the playing field is uneven for them.

It's an association of member institutions. As such, they can have membership revoked. Not saying they will do that or threaten that, but an inducement is an inducement. The program can either show the contract or they can be punished, as UK Basketball was punished, merely for the suspicion of involvement/payment. They didn't have to prove the money came from UK or its boosters.

They will of course wait for an appropriate sacrifice like UK to jump in so they can hammer THEM rather than any sacred cash cow. Why give them one?

It's wise not to join the fray right now. Force the NCAA to make an example of someone else, or completely implode under the weight of NIL, freeing the member institutions to leave an association that has lost institutional control through its inability to enforce the association's own rules judiciously and so they can form their own super conference(s) and association(s) for football and basketball.

This is just my thoughts on the entire situation and subject right now. It's all a chess match right now for the attys to play. Imagine how much more money there would be for the power programs if the NCAA itself wasn't taking a cut. No sub-divisions to support. Revenue in the future will be based on viewership and sales rather than conferences. The cash cows will thrive and feed on the rest as any parity the also-rans once saw quickly evaporates.

There's no way the NCAA can allow these inducements and claim the athletes aren't professionals. They can't maintain their tax status and they don't want to kill their cows, so what do they do? They either open the doors wide open to any and all payments, and lose their tax status as an association, or they have to punish everybody that is doing this wrong.

I agree with everything you say, college football just has a different feel to me than it did a year ago.

Even if the NCAA attempted to remove a school/team from the NCAA I think we both know it will result it a huge suit that will drag on for a few years.

Schools that are trying to go by the rules intent are going to be hurt by those schools that are openly in bidding wars over these kids, always trying to get the last visits so they won't get outbid.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, I just don't know if the NCAA has the power needed to do what you suggest, I think it is in survival mode and isn't going to do anything.

Never going to happen. The NCAA doesn't have Subpoena power. Grump is right. Unless Top button Mitch gets on board Kentucky Football will get left behind.
This is already happening, as it’s not by chance we are back to having the (or one of the) worst recruiting class in the conference so far for 2023. I know we are recruiting differently and looking at more demanded players, but we are swinging and missing on almost every kid that has announced the last month. Fingers crossed it gets better

The NCAA has less power than the League of Nations. This was predicted by many whan the conversion came about paying players. The proponents of NIL,said this wouldn't happen, Well here it is and it isn't going away. We have to figure out how to adjust

Miami is about to get a commit from a 5* DE from out west. They reported paid 9m+ for a QB a week or so ago. But if there is any concaltion they are wrecking UF's class at the moment.

The NCAA has less power than the League of Nations. This was predicted by many whan the conversion came about paying players. The proponents of NIL,said this wouldn't happen, Well here it is and it isn't going away. We have to figure out how to adjust
I have not really understood at all how this NIL thing is supposed to work. Are there any documented instances of such player/school "agreements" working. I have seen nothing other than sheer internet speculation. For this NIL thing to "work", it seems like there must be "documented" conditions and provisions.

Peace

Last edited:
I have not really understood at all how this NIL thing is supposed to work. Are there any documented instances of such player/school "agreements" work. I have seen nothing other than sheer internet speculation. For this NIL thing to "work", it seems like there must be "documented" conditions and provisions.

Peace

The intent was for kids to go to school perform on the field and then capitalize on their NIL. But as usual the NCAA didn't cross their tees nor dot their i's. Which has allowed outlaw programs tobid on these kids service, offering millions to hs jr. 124 programs are doing their best to follow the rules as intended, but unfortunate about 6 outlaw programs have turned this into an auctioning of kids.

UK will. Their own compliance department requires said contracts be submitted to their AOC for review that can take at least 7 days. Since they view nil as compliance, a copy of said contract will be in the student athlete's compliance file. So yes that contract could be accessed by the NCAA.

Are other schools set up this way? I doubt many are for the very reason discussed above.

Now one potential loophole is an nil contract before the student athlete is at the school. They wouldn't require any compliance pre-approval and would only be subject to review if there are legitimate compliance concerns about eligibility. My guess is this is where the coaches are frustrated. UK is being conservative and other schools are not.

I have not really understood at all how this NIL thing is supposed to work. Are there any documented instances of such player/school "agreements" work. I have seen nothing other than sheer internet speculation. For this NIL thing to "work", it seems like there must be "documented" conditions and provisions.

Peace
As someone in HOB explained it, simple as a coach telling a recruit that the word is there’s a huge NIL deal waiting for the next DB that signs with UL. Once the recruit commits, the NIL deal (already set up) is signed which is perfectly legal.

Never going to happen. The NCAA doesn't have Subpoena power. Grump is right. Unless Top button Mitch gets on board Kentucky Football will get left behind.
The NCAA will never move fast enough to head off the bribes this year. And even if they did how much does it cost to drive a new car off the lot, several thousand, and might the recruits buy a few steak dinners for themselves and their new girl friend? And if the NCAA moves at their normal glacial pace and outlaw this farce after school starts (or even practice) are all these players going to turn in their new cars and transfer to a new school, wouldn't most of them stay at the school they are already enrolled at? Won't schools like that have a huge advantage over schools like UK?

Besides the recruits will already know where the money is. looks to me like UK will be left behind for this classs at the least. And I don't see how they can punish all the schools that took advantage of their ineptitude.

Last edited:
As someone in HOB explained it, simple as a coach telling a recruit that the word is there’s a huge NIL deal waiting for the next DB that signs with UL. Once the recruit commits, the NIL deal (already set up) is signed which is perfectly legal.
Is there any evidence that UK is taking advantage of this obvious winning strategy? From what I read it doesn't seem like it, and if we aren't the entire compliance department including the AD should be fired with cause, unless their hands are tied from above. Sounds like a winning strategy to me..

UK will. Their own compliance department requires said contracts be submitted to their AOC for review that can take at least 7 days. Since they view nil as compliance, a copy of said contract will be in the student athlete's compliance file. So yes that contract could be accessed by the NCAA.

Are other schools set up this way? I doubt many are for the very reason discussed above.

Now one potential loophole is an nil contract before the student athlete is at the school. They wouldn't require any compliance pre-approval and would only be subject to review if there are legitimate compliance concerns about eligibility. My guess is this is where the coaches are frustrated. UK is being conservative and other schools are not.
All schools require student athletes to disclose their NIL deals, with the vast majority also requiring that disclosure occur prior to executing the agreement. Even the NAIA requires all of their student athletes to disclose all NIL deals to their respective schools.

The schools that require pre-approval are simply trying to avoid potential issues by looking largely for one of two things:
  • Any potential conflicts with an existing athletics department contract (e.g., apparel deals with Nike or Adidas)
  • Any NIL deals that promote a prohibited type of product or company (e.g., sports betting site)
UK requires disclosure at least 7 days in advance because KY state law requires UK to review the contract before the NIL activity occurs. By law, UK is required to complete this review and point out any issues to the student athlete within 3 days of the athlete submitting the contracting.

The 7 day requirement allows for a few days on the back end to amend any terms that get flagged during review. It’s a pretty straightforward process that’s similar to other power 5 schools.

Peace
Welcome to the crowd, I doubt if very many have a good understanding of how it is SUPPOSED to work. And nice to see you posting, one of the few Card posters I respect.

What a mess.

I’m reading tea leaves like everybody else.

I suspect the NCAA will be forced to sh!t or get off the pot by Summers’ end, and either risk litigation by enforcing rules still on the books, disallowing boosters from working with recruits, or throw up it’s hands and say “let it all roll!”

We do appear at a disadvantage at the moment. If and when collectives of boosters are officially allowed, we need to kick in!
That very well MIGHT happen. But probably too late to help this years UK class.

All schools require student athletes to disclose their NIL deals, with the vast majority also requiring that disclosure occur prior to executing the agreement. Even the NAIA requires all of their student athletes to disclose all NIL deals to their respective schools.

The schools that require pre-approval are simply trying to avoid potential issues by looking largely for one of two things:
  • Any potential conflicts with an existing athletics department contract (e.g., apparel deals with Nike or Adidas)
  • Any NIL deals that promote a prohibited type of product or company (e.g., sports betting site)
UK requires disclosure at least 7 days in advance because KY state law requires UK to review the contract before the NIL activity occurs. By law, UK is required to complete this review and point out any issues to the student athlete within 3 days of the athlete submitting the contracting.

The 7 day requirement allows for a few days on the back end to amend any terms that get flagged during review. It’s a pretty straightforward process that’s similar to other power 5 schools.

That's all they're looking for? Then why do they include requirements such as the arrangement can't be with any alcohol or tobacco company? That no relationship can be against the interest of the school or any of it's business relationships? Or the best.....the catch all "any other reason" the school might see fit to decline to approve.

Some of us on here (including me) voiced concern over the clunky nebulous process way back when it started. As time went on, the after enrollment process seemed to get better and more streamlined. But the truth remains - there are still ridiculous restrictions on the student athlete and 2) apparently Mitch is hesitant to allow any pre-enrollment nil activity.

Why will he worry about it, he has already starved UK football to death (for ten years) once and ended up a hero to our dumb football fans. Now we are in act two.

Last edited:
That's all they're looking for? Then why do they include requirements such as the arrangement can't be with any alcohol or tobacco company? That no relationship can be against the interest of the school or any of it's business relationships? Or the best.....the catch all "any other reason" the school might see fit to decline to approve.

Some of us on here (including me) voiced concern over the clunky nebulous process way back when it started. As time went on, the after enrollment process seemed to get better and more streamlined. But the truth remains - there are still ridiculous restrictions on the student athlete and 2) apparently Mitch is hesitant to allow any pre-enrollment nil activity.
The second bullet point in my previous post was referring to arrangements, such as alcohol, tobacco or gambling, that are prohibited.

And those restrictions are consistent with how other schools are handling NIL. Alabama prohibits any deals involving:
  • Adult entertainment
  • Alcohol
  • Controlled substances
  • Gambling
  • Tobacco
Tennessee prohibits any deals involving:
  • Adult entertainment
  • Alcohol
  • Gambling
  • Tobacco
  • Or anything else that conflicts with the values of UT (whatever those might be)
Every school has a very similar prohibited categories section in their NIL policy. They’re almost boilerplate at this point.

UK is no more restrictive than any other P5 school when it comes to these types of prohibitions.

EDIT: for good measure, Texas A&M prohibits any deals involving:
  • Alcohol
  • Anabolic steroids
  • Casino gambling
  • E-cigarettes
  • Firearms that the student athlete cannot legally purchase
  • Sexually oriented businesses
  • Sports betting
  • Tobacco
  • Or, that conflict with the Aggie Code of Honor

Last edited:
The NCAA will never move fast enough to head off the bribes this year. And even if they did how much does it cost to drive a new car off the lot, several thousand, and might the recruits buy a few steak dinners for themselves and their new girl friend? And if the NCAA moves at their normal glacial pace and outlaw this farce after school starts (or even practice) are all these players going to turn in their new cars and transfer to a new school, wouldn't most of them stay at the school they are already enrolled at? Won't schools like that have a huge advantage over schools like UK?

Besides the recruits will already know where the money is. looks to me like UK will be left behind for this classs at the least. And I don't see how they can punish all the schools that took advantage of their ineptitude.
If someone had a gif of a lone cowboy trying to stop a stampede of horses exiting a corral……it would be very suitable to what is happening with the whole nil thing .

Reactions: jauk11 and Girthang
Does Thug U prohibit throwing trash on the field if fans don't like the call?

It would probably cut their attendance in half.

Yeah, I can’t quite wrap my head around what type of NIL deal would conflict with the values of UT.

I guess if a UT athlete was asked to appear in a tv commercial and refused the director’s request to chuck a mustard bottle at some poor old lady who was walking by, maybe that would conflict with the values of UT?

Seriously though, what are the values of UT?

The second bullet point in my previous post was referring to arrangements, such as alcohol, tobacco or gambling, that are prohibited.

And those restrictions are consistent with how other schools are handling NIL. Alabama prohibits any deals involving:
  • Adult entertainment
  • Alcohol
  • Controlled substances
  • Gambling
  • Tobacco
Tennessee prohibits any deals involving:
  • Adult entertainment
  • Alcohol
  • Gambling
  • Tobacco
  • Or anything else that conflicts with the values of UT (whatever those might be)
Every school has a very similar prohibited categories section in their NIL policy. They’re almost boilerplate at this point.

UK is no more restrictive than any other P5 school when it comes to these types of prohibitions.

EDIT: for good measure, Texas A&M prohibits any deals involving:
  • Alcohol
  • Anabolic steroids
  • Casino gambling
  • E-cigarettes
  • Firearms that the student athlete cannot legally purchase
  • Sexually oriented businesses
  • Sports betting
  • Tobacco
  • Or, that conflict with the Aggie Code of Honor

I only knew what the rules were for UK. If the rules for other schools really are the same, then it comes down to the application of said rules. That's even more damning

Reactions: jauk11 and Girthang
I only knew what the rules were for UK. If the rules for other schools really are the same, then it comes down to the application of said rules. That's even more damning
i think the biggest thing is having the amount of companies that can do big NIL deals
schools like TAM have no problem with that

i think the biggest thing is having the amount of companies that can do big NIL deals
schools like TAM have no problem with that

They're insanely wealthy and nuts about football. We'll never match them but we don't have to. We just can't let schools the level of UT and UL use creativity to outdo us.

I agree on the major donor. That's even more reason we need to be creative and not conservative with collectives, etc.

The intent was for kids to go to school perform on the field and then capitalize on their NIL. But as usual the NCAA didn't cross their tees nor dot their i's. Which has allowed outlaw programs tobid on these kids service, offering millions to hs jr. 124 programs are doing their best to follow the rules as intended, but unfortunate about 6 outlaw programs have turned this into an auctioning of kids.
It was always going to devolve into this. It was inevitable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT