ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else concerned?

Too many still stuck in the Cal mode of we have to sign the top 5 guys available or else. Like they're obligated to come here. We're done with that. we are now in finding the best players to fit the team and Popes style. Patience is a virtue.

Cal did us a favor. He erased all of the 33M we owed him. Pope's entire contract is worth less than Cal's severance. Let the waters calm in a week or two. We will build a roster of people who actually want to be here, and will respect the opportunity, the fan base, the school, and the state.
I just do not get this point of view. The roster will be with guys who want playing time and NIL money. To think differently, to me, blows my mind. We are just changing who the 1year rentals are... from 1st year high school kids who are probably more individually talented to NIL rentals, who are probably not as highly thougt of by the NBA folks. Still- to me it's probably technically the same.

Reactions: megablue
No, this off-season has been awesome. Just think some of you guys wanted Billy D, let's say we pursued him we would've still been without coach right now and probably no players. The dominos will continue to fall

I just do not get this point of view. The roster will be with guys who want playing time and NIL money. To think differently, to me, blows my mind. We are just changing who the 1year rentals are... from 1st year high school kids who are probably more individually talented to NIL rentals, who are probably not as highly thougt of by the NBA folks. Still- to me it's probably technically the same.
the only difference is that everyone is switching to one year rentals. now that the purpose is explicit, people will be more focused with their time at kentucky. since it is ubiquitous, there is no arbitrage that Cal holds over the process (as he did with one-and-dones). College basketball is over, this is semi-pro sports under a college brand.

May be, but we no longer have a coach that is beholden to those players “handlers” to a point where actually WINNING GAMES is secondary to NBA Draft status!!!

Starting positions and playing time WON’T be a given to the top NBA prospects over those that are ACTUALLY better!!

Can’t wait to see it again!!! It’s been a while.

But that's only year one, because Cal left our cupboard almost completely empty. The hope is to see more 3 and 4 year players going forward that want the development and college experience along with NIL.

I'm not worried about this coming season. It was fixing to be a re-build year irrespective of the coach we landed. Now the season after that ....

Its been 3 days, SMH
Pearl was never an option and wasn't wanted here.
There was never any doubt that Cal would take his recruits with him and to think differently is foolish.
some seem tp forget when UK hired Cal
he brought all his recruits that mattered except XH

I've been concerned since wednesday night at 930pm.
Pope's recruiting and money hasn't kept a single commit.
Pearl maybe couldve. Any coach with players in the nba and an ace recruiter in hand could've maybe. Calipari is hard to recruit away from.
You’re like the 10th “new poster” I’ve had to put on ignore the past few days. You guys need to try harder.

I love Pope. I think he will do a good job. I am concerned about getting players for sure. He is a relatively unknown coach in recruiting circles. He has spent a lot of time in Utah. He really needs a dialed in recruiter.

I've been concerned since wednesday night at 930pm.
Pope's recruiting and money hasn't kept a single commit.
Pearl maybe couldve. Any coach with players in the nba and a ace recruiter in hand could've maybe. Calipari is hard to recruit away from.
sigh.....Especially when they found out about a week ago that Cal shifted to Arkansas. Of course a lot of them are going to follow them. Why? Because they believe he is the only path to the NBA. So, if that's their belief, we don't need them here.

We could play the season with two players and still win as many postseason games as we have been. Not worrying any more.

sigh.....Especially when they found out about a week ago that Cal shifted to Arkansas. Of course a lot of them are going to follow them. Why? Because they believe he is the only path to the NBA. So, if that's their belief, we don't need them here.
Hindsight but really the only coach who was going to have any shot to keep half the class would've been Nate Oats. He offered/recruited Boogie Fland, Billy Richmond, and Travis Perry hard.

Boogie Fland did list UK and said he's communicating with them but he's going to open things up and see what future has for him. Fland/family have heard that Pope wants to recruit him.

About roster construction?

2 current players and a lot of good guys getting snatched up from the portal.
Poor guy has been on the job for what, like 3 days? He has to assemble a staff, a roster, an deal with moving his family across the country. I mean, thats a LOT for anyone to have on their plate. I think I'll wait a week or so before I start freakin out. Shew wee, let's show him a lil grace and patience before we go all BBN on him lol 🤷🏻‍♀

Hindsight but really the only coach who was going to have any shot to keep half the class would've been Nate Oats. He offered/recruited Boogie Fland, Billy Richmond, and Travis Perry hard.

Boogie Fland did list UK and said he's communicating with them but he's going to open things up and see what future has for him. Fland/family have heard that Pope wants to recruit him.
I would suspect that Fland highly hinges on one Reed Shep returning or not.

Yes, I'm concerned. To say otherwise is akin to sticking your head in the sand. That doesn't mean it won't all work out nicely. But yes, I'm concerned.

Of course, I've been concerned about roster construction for a decade. So, I'm used to the feeling.
Coach says they have talked to every player in the portal and recruit.

I would suspect that Fland highly hinges on one Reed Shep returning or not.
I'm not expecting Reed Sheppard back at all. If it happens, pleasant surprise. I'd still want Boogie with him-would be best backcourt duo UK has had since Maxey/Quickley. Winning players who put winning ahead of stats.

Reactions: Ghettobird
This year was never going to be a year we had a shot to win a title. I hope our fans realize that. He got hired a bit late and hasn't really been killing recruiting so connections aren't there yet. They will be though.

When recruits see our fun brand of basketball with our fans supporting like they do plus all the NIL money we have ... we will be fine.
Stranger things have happened. When it is all said and done we may end up with a better chance than we would staying pat.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Stranger things have happened. When it is all said and done we may end up with a better chance than we would staying pat.
I think we could see a better roster than we'd have had if Cal was still here. Fully believe that. That's more than possible. Again, my biggest concern as of now is getting the staff hired/announced ASAP so they can present a brand WITH Pope, not just rehash his PC all week, and have him doing everything. He needs the help.

Best thing and can't emphasize this enough is the NCAA changing the live evaluation period calendar. Coach Pope would've had to hit the road this past weekend by himself or with 1 other coach/intern, and then had to get a staff together this week, then head back out next weekend all while trying to build a roster that as of today has 2 players with 11 more open scholarships.

So being able to build his roster is nice--he can do this and then in late May start turning to the '25 class and no matter that it's the Portal era-you need your foundation to be made of a nice core of HS players. Doesn't mean 7/8 each year-but 3/4--sometimes 5 if it's a talented class is important because you will know them better/they are coming to play for you, and can instill the mindset for everyone else who visits/comes to play for UK.

• Love
Reactions: yoshukai and deep3
Yes. Roster turnover is a thing everywhere now.

Last edited:
I think we could see a better roster than we'd have had if Cal was still here. Fully believe that. That's more than possible. Again, my biggest concern as of now is getting the staff hired/announced ASAP so they can present a brand WITH Pope, not just rehash his PC all week, and have him doing everything. He needs the help.

Best thing and can't emphasize this enough is the NCAA changing the live evaluation period calendar. Coach Pope would've had to hit the road this past weekend by himself or with 1 other coach/intern, and then had to get a staff together this week, then head back out next weekend all while trying to build a roster that as of today has 2 players with 11 more open scholarships.

So being able to build his roster is nice--he can do this and then in late May start turning to the '25 class and no matter that it's the Portal era-you need your foundation to be made of a nice core of HS players. Doesn't mean 7/8 each year-but 3/4--sometimes 5 if it's a talented class is important because you will know them better/they are coming to play for you, and can instill the mindset for everyone else who visits/comes to play for UK.
Agree completely

Yes, very. If you are not then you have your head in the sand.

Here’s an example of what we are dealing with since Mitch hired a guy that none of these top players have ever even heard of: Javon Small is in the portal from Oklahoma State. CBS has him as like the #60 best prospect in the portal. He did put up good numbers this year though with 15ppg/5rbg/4apg and shooting splits of 44%/37%/87%. Word is he will come to UK if we give him one million dollars.

To be able to get the talent needed to win like UK should, we are going to have to overpay to get those guys to come here. I know it’s easy to say he’s not worth a million, and he’s clearly not, but we are in a position where we probably don’t have much of a choice. Had Barnhart hired someone like Pearl or Beard then players like Small would have came here for way less.

We better hope NIL gets a cap very soon because it’s not sustainable as it is. People aren’t/can’t keep giving this much money each year to something that doesn’t even guarantee success. The only way the current system can work long term is if they make it where the school can pay the players. UK makes $50M+ a year on tv rights alone. That’s who should be paying all theses players. Not Jim Bob who works at a sawmill doing his best to get by.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT