ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody think Dilly could eventually start ahead of Reeves ?

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
When Reeves is on from the Three he is a weapon no doubt but man Dilly can do more than him in my opinion.

Do we have anyone (mods) reviewing the submissions of threads. This is nuts lol, no! He’s a a vet and we did everything possible to get him to come back.
Not good logic on your part. The op has a point. I personally think Reeves should still start but if your argument is that vets are always better than freshman then you don't have much basis to stand on.

Not good logic on your part. The op has a point. I personally think Reeves should still start but if your argument is that vets are always better than freshman then you don't have much basis to stand on.
I disagree. Not good logic on your part. I be willing to bet you on your take. Cal is loyal to Reeves.

It's not so much about starting over Reeves, as I've think Reeves has earned his time (until he shows otherwise), instead it really should be asked if Dilly should be starting at the 1 over Wagner.

I don't love the idea of Dilly and Wagner starting together, I'd rather have one of them paired with Reeves and the other one with Sheppard. We should have 2 of the following on the floor at all times: Reeves, Shep and Edwards (as our true sf).

No we need outside shooting and Rob is not it.

So far, thats Wagner, not Dilly. Wagner had worse FG/3pt/FT percentages. Granted it's only one game. But in the very very VERY early going, it seems it's Wagner who might be the odd one out when it comes to starters.

Which really shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Wagner on the 2nd unit would be lethal. Only Cal would never do it.

So far, thats Wagner, not Dilly. Wagner had worse FG/3pt/FT percentages. Granted it's only one game. But in the very very VERY early going, it seems it's Wagner who might be the odd one out when it comes to starters.

Which really shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Wagner on the 2nd unit would be lethal. Only Cal would never do it.
Some of yall kill me LoL Wagner is going to start every game as well unless hurt or sick. The team you see right now is how it's going to be constructed unless we get a big back and we move mitchell to the 4. That's the only change you are going to see in the starting 5. Mark it down.

Reactions: dl51344 and QRT1911
Some of yall kill me LoL Wagner is going to start every game as well unless hurt or sick. The team you see right now is how it's going to be constructed unless we get a big back and we move mitchell to the 4. That's the only change you are going to see in the starting 5. Mark it down.

Oh I know that, I said as much. And I dont think it's a bad thing, because DJ could wind up being the better true point.

.. but.. game 1.. goes to Dilly. And I still don't think it's a good idea to start both of them, because that means 2 of Shep/Reeves/Edwards is on the bench, and I think you need 2 of them on the floor at all times.

Oh I know that, I said as much. And I dont think it's a bad thing, because DJ could wind up being the better true point.

.. but.. game 1.. goes to Dilly. And I still don't think it's a good idea to start both of them, because that means 2 of Shep/Reeves/Edwards is on the bench, and I think you need 2 of them on the floor at all times.
He honestly has the perfect mixture right now with the starters and the fire off the bench in my opinion. Going to be really interesting to see how he brings the 7ft's along in these lineups. Being that they can both shoot 3's definitely helps. I think, barring any craziness, we are in for one fun year!

Reactions: dl51344
Reeves and Tre had the best +/- last night. He's the best three point shooter on the team without question. For a team that is playing a more modern style of basketball the best shooter needs to be on the court as much as possible. Dilly is a team player and is fine with his role coming off the bench.

I like Reed and Dilly they play good together but Cal would never play them over DJ he is too good friends with Dj senior

Reactions: KFuqua
Who knows. The season is long. Does it really matter. Our guards are fantastic. Whoever are the hot hand(s) are who we should ride once the game starts. If Reeves is having a game like he did against K-State, then we have Dilly, Wagner, and Sheppard to fill in. If one of them is also having an off night then you ride the other 2 and switch the 2 struggling out if we stick with 5-out.

Reeves and Tre had the best +/- last night. He's the best three point shooter on the team without question. For a team that is playing a more modern style of basketball the best shooter needs to be on the court as much as possible. Dilly is a team player and is fine with his role coming off the bench.

I wouldn’t say fine with coming off the bench. Just know that’s what it is

Haha he was our best player in Canada by a mile and all of a sudden he's now being relegated to the bench for a freshman who had one good half in a blow out win?

I truly believe Reeves is our best offensive weapon and he will be all year. Dillingham will have nice games where he gets extremely hot and fills it up. But right when he has back to back bad offensive outputs, there will be threads on here that he shouldn't be in rotation. That's how this board works and I live for it, lol.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I don't think we will lose Reeves from the starting spot. In my opinion, we could see Dillingham take over as the starter for Wagner. I'm not thinking there is much chance for either of those happening for the moment, but if Dillingham continues to improve and increase confidence, he could end up getting more minutes. Even right now, how these guys are playing will play into the amount of minutes they get. In my opinion, we want these guys to be playing well and pushing for more minutes.

Shaking my head reading some of this nonsense. People that don’t understand basketball are the ones that want Reeves off the court. They don’t realize his presence on the court opens things up for the slashers (non shooters).

Yeah let’s have 5 guys on the court that can’t throw it in the ocean from the shore 🤦🏻‍♂️

Dilly has an outside shot. It's just not his primary weapon. He should be slicing to the basket. If he has to take a shot, I'm ok with it here and there. We have three amazing guards. It doesn't matter who starts; it matters who's effective. There are going to be games where Rob Dillingham is going to look like the next NBA all-star. There's also going to be games where he's going to look like a new born giraffe. Same for DJ. And really same for Reed. They are freshmen. They're going to choke here and there. That's what 19-19 year olds do. They will also be amazing at times.

I think he'll get the nod to start on his senior night for sure. Bank on it.

When Reeves is on from the Three he is a weapon no doubt but man Dilly can do more than him in my opinion.
The way we are playing thus far, no, Dilly will not start over Reeves. Due to the defensive pressure we are using so far, every guard will get plenty of playing time , including dilly. This is going to be a fun team to watch. Maybe a few lumps early but barring injury, we will be a tough out in NCAA. Dilly will be a big part of all that, jmo. I like him a lot.

I love Dilly but am I the only one that noticed he jumps a little on his free throws?

I like Reed and Dilly coming off the bench together as the "f*ck sh*t up" Guys. Two pitbull defenders who play well as a combo. Keep Reeves starting, get the 7-footers back and this team has a ton of potential.

• Love
Reactions: Zissou87
I disagree. Not good logic on your part. I be willing to bet you on your take. Cal is loyal to Reeves.
I'm not making a claim that he is going to take Reeves out of the starting lineup or that he should. To act as if there is no way anyone could conceive such an idea is what I have an issue with. Why does everyone get so emotional when starting lineup changes are discussed?

And for anyone who says starting lineups dont matter well you're flat wrong. It definitely matters who starts. I don't care what anyone (including Cal) says about that not being the case.

Really? All of our frosh guards are very good, but I'm not sure Wagner is the best. Time will tell.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
People seem to forget the importance of a 6th man off the bench who can provide offense. Reeves was that guy last year, and Davion Mintz before him... both hugely important pieces to the team. Rob seems to fit that mold perfectly in my opinion, and really at the end of the day they will probably end up with similar minutes no matter who starts.

I’m just excited at the thought of having multiple guys who can come in and ball. If someone is having an off night, there’s a few guys right behind ready to go.

Do we have anyone (mods) reviewing the submissions of threads. This is nuts lol, no! He’s a a vet and we did everything possible to get him to come back.
No, that's not true at all. He did everything possible to AVOID having to come back. He had no choice, not if he wanted to get drafted at some point.

As for Dilly jumping on free throws, that's either lack of strength or anticipation of the shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT