ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on who replaces KT Turner?

wccat2969

Junior
Apr 8, 2009
Is it Josh Pastner? If so, what does he bring to the table? Couldn't get it done in Atlanta. Does he bring anything as an offensive coach? Defensive coach?

Is it Josh Pastner? If so, what does he bring to the table? Couldn't get it done in Atlanta. Does he bring anything as an offensive coach? Defensive coach?

My guess is that it would have to be someone with Texas ties, right? That was the reason we brought in Turner, was his ties with Texas to replace what Jai had.

I think Pastner will come in if it turns out we need to replace Bruiser.

Chris Beard's staff from TX might all be unemployed next week (as crazy as that sounds), so might be able to scoop one of them up.

Texas Tech's staff is obviously on the job hunt as well. Plenty of guys with Texas ties.

But we'll see, just a guess!

Reactions: flacat22
My guess is that it would have to be someone with Texas ties, right? That was the reason we brought in Turner, was his ties with Texas to replace what Jai had.

I think Pastner will come in if it turns out we need to replace Bruiser.

Chris Beard's staff from TX might all be unemployed next week (as crazy as that sounds), so might be able to scoop one of them up.

Texas Tech's staff is obviously on the job hunt as well. Plenty of guys with Texas ties.

But we'll see, just a guess!
The Texas ties is a very good point.

Reactions: Zissou87
Partner grew up in Texas and knows everybody. He’d be a good pick and apparently wants the job.

Reactions: Zissou87
The Texas ties is a very good point.

Yeah but I do wonder.

We need to expand our thinking and our offense/defensive principles.

To be honest, I LOVE the way Houston plays on both ends of the floor- wouldn't mind seeing Cal snag one of their assistants to come in and implement a bit of what Houston does.

Tough as nails, high scoring, spread the floor, tenacious on defense and always trap the post- totally love the way they play.

Wouldn't mind a Houston assistant.

Hope not.

Just out of curiosity (because I didn't pay much attention to Ga Tech), would he be a bad hire you think?

If you could pick, who would it be?

Idk much about who's available, but this obviously needs to be a homerun hire.

Josh brings pizza. To Cal.
b648aeb8-8855-41fb-9028-c1119499b1c1_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cathouse
He's going to be a grad assistant. As far as recruiting goes, his "people skills" aren't the greatest.

Has that been confirmed? I'd heard that but didn't know if it was serious or not. I wonder if he'd be able to be better with that as a coach. As a player, it's totally fine to have bad people skills, you're just labeled a competitor. Can't do that as much as a coach.

Has that been confirmed? I'd heard that but didn't know if it was serious or not. I wonder if he'd be able to be better with that as a coach. As a player, it's totally fine to have bad people skills, you're just labeled a competitor. Can't do that as much as a coach.
He's back at UK taking classes. Most likely he'd be a student assistant like Ulis is because he's still taking classes. Doesn't have his degree so he couldn't be a grad assistant. Could be a good addition, but could also blow up because he doesn't really play well with others.

Reactions: G-PIP
I don't know if it's Pastner or not, but i see him at the gym quite a bit. Nice guy. When I asked him about Kentucky, he just smiled and said "not sure yet".

I don’t know much beyond what is public about Pastner, but I do know this - some guys are just meant to be assistants, not the top dog. Countless coordinators in the NFL have failed as the head coach. So much beyond their expertise going on that they lose their focus on the thing that made them great.

Could be true for Pastner.

I would love to bring John Robic back. When Robic left we went to Sh t.
Go check out the timeline.
Cal's ascent through the coaching ranks as well as his decline have one common denominator-John Robic. When he was on the bench Cal had much more success and that's not coincidence.
I realize Robic has been forced to deal with the ultimate tragedy and may have depended on unhealthy coping mechanisms. However, if he's willing, Cal needs to mend the relationship or find a suitable replacement.

Reactions: bnewt
I 100% think it should be Rondo.

Dude knows the game better than almost anybody and I bet could walk into living rooms with his 2 NBA title rings and recruit like hell.
Rondo would also slap the he** out of Cal when he needed it.

Reactions: bnewt
Could be a good addition, but could also blow up because he doesn't really play well with others.
That's something that would have to be looked into very deeply, don't you think? Talk with a lot of people in Rondo's past, etc. I believe there's a lot of evidence out there that Rondo is a great basketball mind on the court. In fact, the rap is he's incredibly smart but also has a real lack of patience for those who are not as quick (mainly everybody else). If that's the situation, Rondo would have to (1) realize he has that issue; and (2) be willing to moderate it. You can't have a guy causing turmoil with the players or the staff.

Reactions: tiffincatfan79
Go check out the timeline.
Cal's ascent through the coaching ranks as well as his decline have one common denominator-John Robic. When he was on the bench Cal had much more success and that's not coincidence.
I realize Robic has been forced to deal with the ultimate tragedy and may have depended on unhealthy coping mechanisms. However, if he's willing, Cal needs to mend the relationship or find a suitable replacement.
Im just gonna say the same was said about OA. We unloaded justus brought in OA and things have been as bad as ever. I don’t think it matters who the assistants are. Cal has changed them all since the losing season and the product is about the same

Partner grew up in Texas and knows everybody. He’d be a good pick and apparently wants the job.
So that means since Texas still hasn’t hired a full time coach that the possibility still exists for Cal? If that’s the case and Pastner has the Texas ties he can be a new hire on Cal’s new staff at Texas? I guess one can dream a good dream right….😂

Reactions: Wildcats1st
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT