ADVERTISEMENT

Any of you guys/gals had a neck adjustment?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Been having neck pain for a little while, and thinking about going to a chiropractor.

Watching some videos on Youtube, it looks kinda painful and violent.

I don't want to come out of there with my head facing the wrong way.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Been having neck pain for a little while, and thinking about going to a chiropractor.

Sounds awful. I'd post a pic from The Exorcist but that would be too predictable.

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited:
I’ve been to a chiropractor numerous times for adjusting my spine and back. They’ve helped me. There are good ones and not so good ones. No chiropractor should do anything to you without taking complete X-rays and reviewing them first. Then explaining to you the problem and whether or not they can help you. I’d ask friends in your area for recommendations.

My grandmother used to get those.

The Teeter has helped me a lot.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a cure all, but definitely a temporary pain reliever.

latest

Chiropractors have helped me. The one I went to would lay you on a table with a roller on the bottom that massaged your back. I loved it! Then he would be examining my neck, and before I knew it, every bone in it popped. Scarry!

I had a pinched nerve in my neck another time causing my right arm to ache. Two visits he had me fixed. He was an older guy, retired now.

My wife went to some young guy that actually hurt her. Her chest hurt for weeks. Ask around and find a good one.

Reactions: kev69
Bones are inanimate objects. They are rocks. They will not move unless something else moves them. It doesn’t matter if it’s a chiropractor or physical therapist.....if they don’t look at everything, they are not worth it. Tight muscles, weak muscles, muscle imbalance, genetics, age, sex, behavior, etc....all play a part.

But yes, can a chiro or PT help you? That’s what they do and why they exist.

Never been to a chiropractor...have had ppl say they have helped but I'm still skeptical of them.

They arent doctors nor do they really know how to read x-rays...I think they just do them to bill insurance.

Never been to a chiropractor...have had ppl say they have helped but I'm still skeptical of them.
They arent doctors nor do they really know how to read x-rays...I think they just do them to bill insurance.

Well, they kinda/sorta know how to read x-rays. Some probably can do it really well, while others not so much. It's true they certainly don't have the training that a radiologist would have.

But one big issue hidden in all of that is that x-rays don't provide nearly enough information for many (most?) spinal/back/neck problems. MRIs are needed.

I sort of agree. I’ve been to chiropractors. I kind of got the impression by their actions that I could learn what they do in about a week. (Or just watching a YouTube video)

Bones are inanimate objects. They are rocks. They will not move unless something else moves them. It doesn’t matter if it’s a chiropractor or physical therapist.....if they don’t look at everything, they are not worth it. Tight muscles, weak muscles, muscle imbalance, genetics, age, sex, behavior, etc....all play a part.

But yes, can a chiro or PT help you? That’s what they do and whemhy they exist.

Some people would argue that chiros exist to make money first and foremost.

Well, they kinda/sorta know how to read x-rays. Some probably can do it really well, while others not so much. It's true they certainly don't have the training that a radiologist would have.

But one big issue hidden in all of that is that x-rays don't provide nearly enough information for many (most?) spinal/back/neck problems. MRIs are needed.

Lots of chiros also, “skew” the xrays. They’ll put you slightly off neutral, take the picture, then show you in the films how “out of alignment you are.” There’s a reason why all other health industries use outside radiographers or labs.

You are correct that MRIs are better than xrays in most cases..... it in the vast, vast majority of cases they are not needed. To be honest xrays really aren’t super necessary in many cases, but they’re so cheap/easy these days many get them.

Reactions: BeaveUKGT
Some people would argue that chiros exist to make money first and foremost.

My biggest issue with some chiros is related to this. They’ll often rope a patient in.....”hey, if you come in every 2 wks for an adjustment...for the rest of your life....your neck will be great.” What a money racket. In cases like this they turn people into drug addicts and then capitalize on it.

But, if they act ethical and treat the entire problem I don’t have an issue with them. Of course, I can say that about any profession.

Rob- an adjustment helped me tremendously with neck pain and numbness in my fingers and I was skeptical beforehand. If you’re having pain go give it a try.

KB

Reactions: Robcatt24
Looks like I touched a nerve. And I didn't even have to go to chiropractor college to find it.

My brother has a super fancy learned degree and I fell and hurt my back and neck 3 years ago and asked him who to go see, he told me a family doctor would probably write me a rx for drugs, an orthopedic surgeon would want to do an expensive procedure, and a chiro would try and treat it non-pharmaceuticaly and minimally invasive. That’s exactly what happened, chiro I went to couldn’t have been nicer and more honest. See no reason to stay stupid shit about an entire profession like that. Feel free to post your dumbshit job and we can all randomly attack it to for no reason if you’d like.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Shewee, definitely hit a raw nerve.

You'd better go back to your chiropractor and get that one worked on. I can tell it's causing you lots of pain.

Last edited:
I have had back and neck pain from as fall years ago and 40 years of bring a Dentist. Finally went to a Chiropractor I know and the adjustments have really freed up my locked neck and upper back stiffness that had really limited my range of motion. Besides doing the standard adjustments she also does an Atlas Orthogonal treatment which has seem to help most.

My brother has a super fancy learned degree and I fell and hurt my back and neck 3 years ago and asked him who to go see, he told me a family doctor would probably write me a rx for drugs, an orthopedic surgeon would want to do an expensive procedure, and a chiro would try and treat it non-pharmaceuticaly and minimally invasive. That’s exactly what happened, chiro I went to couldn’t have been nicer and more honest. See no reason to stay stupid shit about an entire profession like that. Feel free to post your dumbshit job and we can all randomly attack it to for no reason if you’d like.
The founder of chiropractor claimed the entire method was told to him by a ghost. It is entirely fair game to mock everything about it forever.

The founder of chiropractor claimed the entire method was told to him by a ghost. It is entirely fair game to mock everything about it forever.

Well GDit why the hell didn’t anybody tell me that before I went to one. It didn’t do shit for me but guy seemed nice enough and like he actually cared. Gonna have a word with my bro over that one.

It's a placebo effect that insurance covers. Pain is a complicated thing and placebo treatments work in a percentage of any population.

No doubt many cases are placebo effect, but I bet some people do get better after seeing a chiropractor.

But what I find dubious is how they say something like "come in for weekly adjustments for 8 weeks and your back pain should resolve." Patient then does so, and pain resolves over those eight weeks. Patient then attributes improvement to chiropractor. But many pain syndromes improve on their own over a given timeframe, so the patient would have felt better in eight weeks whether or not they'd gone to the chiropractor.

It's like the old saying about a cold: It will last a week with medication or seven days without medication.

No doubt many cases are placebo effect, but I bet some people do get better after seeing a chiropractor.

But what I find dubious is how they say something like "come in for weekly adjustments for 8 weeks and your back pain should resolve." Patient then does so, and pain resolves over those eight weeks. Patient then attributes improvement to chiropractor. But many pain syndromes improve on their own over a given timeframe, so the patient would have felt better in eight weeks whether or not they'd gone to the chiropractor.

It's like the old saying about a cold: It will last a week with medication or seven days without medication.

It depends on the ailment. Some things can take longer, some shorter. But, yes, you are correct in saying that some things will get better on their own. Take a sprained ankle for example. People can usually resolve this on their own. Physical Therapy, Athletic Training, or a chiro “can” maximize the healing process (and help prevent recurrence), but a lot of people can get by on their own.

But take someone that has regular pain for years.....or even months.......their pain wasn’t going away on its own.

I get a chiropractic adjustment every month.

Twenty years ago I had to stop playing sports due to neck and shoulders tightness/pain.

Xrays showed my spine was "C" shaped instead of the nice subtle "S" shape that you're supposed to have.

Anyway, after a few adjustments the pain went away and I was able to get back my active lifestyle. A lifesaver for me.

^This is what I was talking about above.

*I'm not picking on you P19978.....unfortunately you just illustrate the point I was making above. If you like the way things are going, just continue.*

Bones are inanimate objects. Assuming that it is true that the xrays showed improper curvature of the spine, it's extremely likely that something is pulling you out of proper posture......behavior, muscle tightness, muscle imbalance, etc. All of these things should be taught/educated and you should be able to correct and maintain proper alignment on your own. The chiro should've taught you how to maintain it on your own........and not set you up with appointments for life.

I avoid them like the plague. Went to one because of neck pain. Had XRay done and after several adjustments, but the pain got worse. Had a MRI done and found that I had a herniated disk. Took a long time but got it under control by getting deep tissue massages twice a month. Acts up when it gets cold but get a massage at least once a month now.

How some chiros hook you is by making you an addict.

1st - The drug addiction. When you pop a joint, your body releases endorphins in the area. Temporarily making it feel better. Runners get it when they hit "the runner's high." People will feel high/drunk after they get massages. And you can get it after sex. Like any drug, the feeling is habit forming.

2nd - The release. If you have a joint that is hypomobile.....stuck.....getting it popped can bring about sudden release in mobility/function. There are some patients that get a small kick out of the sudden release.

3rd - The auditory pop. Think Pavlov's dog. The dog would salivate when hearing the bell ring. It too can be addictive to some degree. Do you need the cavitation (the pop) in order to release endorphins or improve mobility? Nope. What's funny is that some chiros actually have a device that they hold in their hands that "clicks" when they do something to the patient......thus covering themselves when the joint doesn't render the auditory "pop."

4th - The sell. Ok, for starters all health industries do this. A Dr. has to convince you that taking the steroids or antibiotics will help your sickness. Same thing here. A chiro will often take a purposely biased x-ray....and sell it to you like you need some sort of care.....etc, etc.

****NOW 100% let me state that this is not all chiros. Some are fantastic. Some will treat the entire problem.....then teach you the skills needed to maintain and/or prevent recurrence. Like any profession, there's good ones and bad ones. The key is to how to spot the good ones.****

Also, let me state that if you are an informed consumer and wish to get manipulated by a chiro......that's fine. For example, my brother. He has digestive and stress issues. He goes to a chiro regularly......has for a decade. He and I have talked about his stress and chiros. He understands that he doesn't need to be adjusted. He understands how it's addicting. He understands that he can go to other entities to feel better. He just likes getting cracked. I'm totally fine with this. If you are an informed consumer, then more power to you.....carry on.

Go to a physical therapist. I got my C5 and C6 vertebra out of alignment and they did wonders to get my right arm functioning again (I couldn't raise it above my head). Kort in Beaumont was the place for me. Going there was the recommendation of my primary care physician.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT