ADVERTISEMENT

Any of you guys/gals had a neck adjustment?

^There are many types of headaches. One type is called cervicogenic.....or originating from the neck. Basically stiffness of the neck joints or muscles. Treating it is very much in a chiro or PT wheelhouse. Other headaches....not so much.

I work with Neuro surgeons and I have been told to stay away from chiropractors especially dont let them touch your neck. They may be able to help but there is also a very good chance they can make you worse and cause damage.

The surgeon told me that their profession is not very standardized and some chiropractors do some crazy stuff and injury many people.

So from what I gather is it is a gamble, they may be able to help but there is an higher than acceptable risk that they will make you worse.

The surgeon did recommend physical therapy before you every try surgery

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Cervicogenic headaches
I work with Neuro surgeons and I have been told to stay away from chiropractors especially dont let them touch your neck. They may be able to help but there is also a very good chance they can make you worse and cause damage.

The surgeon told me that their profession is not very standardized and some chiropractors do some crazy stuff and injury many people.

So from what I gather is it is a gamble, they may be able to help but there is an higher than acceptable risk that they will make you worse.

The surgeon did recommend physical therapy before you every try surgery

This is sound advice.

Now understand that I am completely biased.

When someone walks into your clinic with something to be fixed, you want to have a toolbox full of tools to get the job done.

-The average Physical Therapist has a large toolbox. Now, granted, they may reach for just a few of the tools more often than not......but they do have a large toolbox.

-The average Chiropractor only carries a sledgehammer...and that's about it. There is certainly a place for a sledgehammer, but it's often not the best tool for the job.

Now, certainly that's a generalization and it's improving. Lots of chiros now employ massage therapists, teach exercises, try to correct behavior, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT