ADVERTISEMENT

Any news/rumors/scuttlebutt coming out of the scrimmage last Saturday?

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
I know they did not have a post scrimmage press conference, but hoping someone knows a little info they can share. I will settle for "fake news" if that is all you have to offer, just to get some discussion going.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I know they did not have a post scrimmage press conference, but hoping someone knows a little info they can share. I will settle for "fake news" if that is all you have to offer, just to get some discussion going.

Did they actually scrimmage? I wasn't sure if the coaches elected to scrimmage or delay it.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Stoops makes it hard for fans to stay enthused when he lets us see nothing of practices. Fans crave action & he shuts them down big time with little reason.
I think why this happened was because of Covid. The stadium is full of people getting Covid vaccine. I went by there and the lot was full of cars getting the shot.

Stoops makes it hard for fans to stay enthused when he lets us see nothing of practices. Fans crave action & he shuts them down big time with little reason.

I agree it's frustrating but I think it's clearly gamesmanship.

Especially with weather as pretty as it is...Sat. scrimmage in KCWS and let us in!

You are correct, I misread the post on HOB. My bad.

You can still take this opportunity to post fake news though.

I'll throw some fake news out there:

Allen was 28-34 passing for 315 yards and 4 TDs
Gatewood was 20-26 for 252 and 2 TDs 12 carries for 54 yards and another score
Scalzo and Sheron looked good in spot minutes.

C-Rod ran 27 times for 182 yards and 3 scores.
Smoke ran 18 times for 106 and a score
McLain really impressed in limited snaps 12 carries for 99yards and a score

Ali and Robinson combined for 17 catches and 4 scores.
Bates and Upshaw combined for 13 catches and a couple of scores.

Poore and Rufalo both hit their kicks. Including a couple from 50+

Despite these gaudy offensive numbers, The defense also looked fantastic. Several takeaways and flying all over the field. McCall clogged up the middle.
Lots of pressure on the QBs.
DBs were playing very well. Had several INTs.

There we go. Fake news from Saturday. I'll let you all pick which one you want to be accurate. Either offense or defense dominated.

Despite these gaudy offensive numbers, The defense also looked fantastic. Several takeaways and flying all over the field. McCall clogged up the middle.

There we go. Fake news from Saturday. I'll let you all pick which one you want to be accurate. Either offense or defense dominated.
Are they still playing?? I'll ride over. That's a lot of snaps, them boys are going to sleep well tonight.

Reactions: The-Hack

Have to ask, was this a Fox News report or CNN?

just kidding, just kidding . . .

Also heard on his only try our new punter kicked a 99 yarder that rolled out on the 1.

Reactions: WildcatStu1
Since they are installing a new offense, shouldn't they keep as much as possible under wraps?

This is not a Stoop’s issue!!!! This is every D1 football HC.

They don’t open practices and they don’t give info on injuries (that’s the law).

I don’t get the angst over this. No one opens practices anymore

I don't care what he does as long as keeps improving the program. Being a respectable football program, attracting better recruits, improving records and consistent bowl wins keep me pretty enthused.

This might be fake or could be real. I read somewhere on the internet so it must be true that our new offensive coordinator Mr Liam Coen is a direct disciple of Kevin Kelleyand we'll never punt ball and only believe an onside kicks. I suspect we'll be storing somewhere in the vicinity of 92 points per game what are stout defense only giving up about 6. I feel like that's going to be a pretty good season. 😃

Ok i made it up 🤣

This might be fake or could be real. I read somewhere on the internet so it must be true that our new offensive coordinator Mr Liam Coen is a direct disciple of Kevin Kelleyand we'll never punt ball and only believe an onside kicks. I suspect we'll be storing somewhere in the vicinity of 92 points per game what are stout defense only giving up about 6. I feel like that's going to be a pretty good season. 😃

Ok i made it up 🤣

But, but, but......we're Punter U?!

Reactions: BlueInTheBoro

Oh no! Our defense sounds terrible.

Our OC was ashamed to place these guys at a point, that he thought they deserved... Someone asked him, from 1 to 5 what would you rank your guys at this point, including adding a new system... He said, that he came close to calling it what it was, a 4+ on the rating... Couldn't wait to get these receivers in the game, with the QB's that he has right now... Would like the season to begin tomorrow...

He laughed, then said and I paraphrase, before something happens and these guys fall off... In other words, he liked what he has to work with, RIGHT NOW!

Tskware:, was this what you were wanting?

Here's a little scuttlebutt that I did not personally witness.

I was told that after one practice, the QB's were horsing around a little, and that Nick Scalzo grabbed a football, knelt on one knee at the forty, and hit the left upright of the nearest goalpost at the practice facility.

Not to be outdone, Gatewood knelt on both knees at the 40, and hit the same upright!!!

B. Allen got all fired up and knelt on both knees at the 50 yard line, and hit the left upright of the southernmost field goal at Lexington Catholic High School, 3.9 miles from the UK practice facility.

Take it for what it's worth!!!

Here's a little scuttlebutt that I did not personally witness.

I was told that after one practice, the QB's were horsing around a little, and that Nick Scalzo grabbed a football, knelt on one knee at the forty, and hit the left upright of the nearest goalpost at the practice facility.

Not to be outdone, Gatewood knelt on both knees at the 40, and hit the same upright!!!

B. Allen got all fired up and knelt on both knees at the 50 yard line, and hit the left upright of the southernmost field goal at Lexington Catholic High School, 3.9 miles from the UK practice facility.

Take it for what it's worth!!!
I remember listening to Dave Baker on WVLK years ago stating that he saw Tim Couch, with a knee on the ground at the 50, hit the cross-bar twice. That’s 60 yards in the air, hitting a bar 10 feet off the ground, making the distance farther.

Have you ever watched the NFL QB skills competition and seen how far those guys can throw a football ... with a running start? That tells you all you need to know.

I also remember hearing that Jeff Snedegar could throw a pass 70 yards. He was a stud.

Last edited:
I remember listening to Dave Baker on WVLK years ago stating that he saw Tim Couch, with a knee on the ground at the 50, hit the cross-bar twice. That’s 60 yards in the air, hitting a bar 10 feet off the ground, making the distance farther.

Have you ever watched the NFL QB skills competition and seen how far those guys can throw a football ... with a running start? That tells you all you need to know.

I also remember hearing that Jeff Snedegar could throw a pass 70 yards. He was a stud.

The story about Couch may have been true , may not have been . I remember Baker telling that story, he also said an NFL scout asked him if he thought Couch’s arm was strong enough for the NFL ,so Baker told the scout the fore mentioned story. I won’t believe for a second that an NFL scout would ask Bakers opinion on anything football related. The only thing bigger than Dave Bakers mouth is his ego .

Somewhere out there in video land is a vid of John Elway rolling to his left, don't forget he was right handed, and throwing a 70 yard pass on the money to his WR....as a HS senior. I've seen it, an amazing thing.

The story about Couch may have been true , may not have been . I remember Baker telling that story, he also said an NFL scout asked him if he thought Couch’s arm was strong enough for the NFL ,so Baker told the scout the fore mentioned story. I won’t believe for a second that an NFL scout would ask Bakers opinion on anything football related. The only thing bigger than Dave Bakers mouth is his ego .
Thanks for the reply and I'm glad you recall hearing Baker saying that on the SportsLine 59 evening talk show. Couch was a very accurate passer, of course, but I never thought he had a particularly strong arm. It was adequate.
I didn't believe Baker for a one second when he made that comment. I laughed at it. I don't think Couch could throw it that far with a running start, much less with a knee on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
Just like every year I wish we could just skip these next three months. Worst time of the year and after last season wish we had something that would help this summer blow by faster than normal.

Reactions: The-Hack and EH4UK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT