ADVERTISEMENT

Ansley Almonor to visit

Backup 4 who shoots around 39% from 3 on a large number of attempts! No brainer! Pope is building a “team” and not just stacking 5 stars
Is he a 4? I don't think so. 6'7, and rebounds right around 5.0/30min, which is about what Edwards did and 40% less than Theiro.
I'm not saying I wouldn't take him. I'm just saying he is more a backup 3 than a backup 4. Which isn't bad since our only 3 is actually a 6'5 guard (Oweh). Don't think the very thin 6'5 Brea or 6'6 FR Chandler are 3's.

Considering he is a quality bench player that shoots the ball well, he would seem to be a great pickup. We have to be realistic that starters are not going to want to come to sit the bench. We also need to get used to roster building that is built on scheme and strengths (a 4 that can come off the bench and shoot from deep) as opposed to trying to stockpile talent and hope the pieces come together.

We will just have to wait and see what our record is. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks but that will tell the tale.
No doubt, but as constructed the roster isn’t terrible. They need one of laneir poplar and Robinson, and they will be fine

We will jump to a top 10 in all rankings after signing this dude . Might go 40-0
I think we got to the crux of the problem, the class isn’t ranked high enough. Well, that way of thinking didn’t work out for the last 9 years for the last coach. How about we not lose our sh!t about rankings until we actually see what Pope can do with them!! He deserves the benefit of the doubt until he gets at least one normal recruiting class under his belt.

Simple fact…we don’t know how this team will gell until the actual season gets here. What we do know is that it is the most College experienced team that UK has had in many years!

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Wrong I posted many times my support for Pope . Dispute that you say I’m miserable . You’re no one I don’t care about your opinions
Look, if you identify as a jerk, we must accept that according to the current world order

As a Transfer​

247SPORTS TRANSFER RANKINGS​

Well he’s ranked 317 in the portal and 52 best pf . It’s MJ reborn

As a Transfer​

247SPORTS TRANSFER RANKINGS​

Well he’s ranked 317 in the portal and 52 best pf . It’s MJ reborn
Happy Denis Shapovalov GIF by Tennis TV

"SUPERIOR TALENT" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Didn't Division-2 subpar talent Mr. Gohlke say hello to TWO future NBA Draft TOP-10 picks, and (Supposedly) TALENTED elite players in NCAA Round-1, by outscoring those two freshmen phenoms 32-13 in far less minutes played????
1732959-Niels-Bohr-Quote-Prediction-is-very-difficult-especially-if-it-s.jpg

OIP.dxT7y6KN_JvU6l1SwefH4AAAAA

Reactions: Wonky
Is he a 4? I don't think so. 6'7, and rebounds right around 5.0/30min, which is about what Edwards did and 40% less than Theiro.​
I'm not saying I wouldn't take him. I'm just saying he is more a backup 3 than a backup 4. Which isn't bad since our only 3 is actually a 6'5 guard (Oweh). Don't think the very thin 6'5 Brea or 6'6 FR Chandler are 3's.

He isn't a thin 6'7 guy though. At 6'7 220, he could be a versatile guy to back up either the 3 or the 4. His highlights appear to reveal a few things:

• Good spot up shooter, so he would help space the floor at either the 3 or the 4
  • Good passer - fits within the offense Pope ran with his bigs at the top of the key
  • Questions/weaknesses?
    • Plays below the rim (didn't see a single dunk in his highlights)...appears crafty as he scores with baby hooks, floaters, jumpers around the lane, so he may be able to score against bigger SEC post defenders, but it is a question mark. This is also a major factor when defending opposing bigs.
    • quickness? if he backs up the 3, he may struggle to defend opposing SFs/SGs on the perimeter.
    • Handles: doesn't show elite handles for a wing, but adequate for calculated drives.
Transfer portal highlights

Against good (P5 level) competition, his box score is mixed:

2022-2023 NCAA tournament
Purdue 1 pt, 2 rebs, 0/4 FGs, 0/2 3pt FGs... but he was the on defending Zach Edey during the last couple minutes, and he hustled to get his hands on the ball and should've save possession up 3 pts with 30 secs left, but the officials missed the foul call on Purdue. Played good positional defense and did a decent job trying to box out Edey
Purdue highlights (end of game)

2023-2024 season
Illinois 20 pts, 3 rebs, 7/16 FGs, 4/9 3pt FGs​
Seton Hall 6 pts, 1 reb, 2/13 FGs, 2/9 3pt FGs​
Bottom line to me... looks like someone who shouldn't be the starting 4 as I think he would struggle playing there too much, but looks like he could potentially provide valuable depth at 2 different positions.​

Last edited:
I feel like I’ve been a little less bullish about our overall roster than most around here, but I don’t think this guy would be a bad addition at all. It’s just a fact that you’re not going to get a full roster of players capable of starting at the power conference level out of the portal and get half of them to accept backup roles. If he is in fact willing to come off the bench here instead of starting at a small school, he fits the profile very well of a capable backup who has a defining skill, which is 3 point shooting in his case. You need guys like this in order to build a complete team.

Almonor averaged 16.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists. Hit 39.4 from the three. Was a two time All-NEC honors. Has one year left. Had to play mostly the 5 position last season but is a true four. Pope throwing out scenario's for the final scholarships and one could be redshirting a veteran so we would have him next season after losing several older guys. Probably according to who the other two we get.

Reactions: ukfan041

If we get Almonor, UK will have 3 point snipers running out their ears.

Koby Brea - .498% from 3 point range
Kerr Kriisa - .424% from 3 point range
Otega Oweh - .377 from 3 point range
Andrew Carr - .371 from 3 point range
Then add in high school recruits Travis Perry, Collin Chandler & Trent Noah. All 3 deadly from 3 point range. There won't be another team in the country with as many 3 point weapons as UK will have next year. Then if we also get

Chaz Lanier - .440% from 3 point range
Ansley Almonor - .394 from 3 point range

This team will be hard to guard

Is he a 4? I don't think so. 6'7, and rebounds right around 5.0/30min, which is about what Edwards did and 40% less than Theiro.
JW, I would have to disagree with you a little here. 6’7” 220lbs. is big enough for the PF spot, at least in college. I think I read that Almonor even played Center too last season. Edwards’ best position last season was as a college PF – he was a horrible starting SF option for any team interested in contending for a championship or probably even a Power 5 conference title. I’m not saying Edwards was a great PF – actually Thiero was better in basically every way – but I thought he was capable of defending most college PFs as well or better than he could defend a SF, and that’s probably true for Almonor as well.

I also think Brea and Chandler are good SF options – again in college. Brea is what – 200 to 205 lbs. that’s not skinny in basketball terms. And Chandler is supposedly 6’6” now and had some good hops coming out of high school.

Not saying you’re wrong, just that I look at those players differently and I don’t think it's unreasonable to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT