ADVERTISEMENT

Annual “Who Would You Like To Have If Stoops Goes?” Thread

Another real problem we have in keeping Stoops is all of his assistances will be looking for a new job with a little more security than Stoops can offer. Stoops going forward is a week to week coach. He will either quit or get fired by season's end. Assistants know this and they don't want to be caught getting fired with Stoops.
He's not getting fired. People need to get that possibility out of their head. That is not happening. One...Mitch isn't doing that anytime soon regardless of a buyout. Two...we don't have $47 million sitting around to do it.

Reactions: phunterd
Coen had a “pressure induced “ health issue and had to move to the box because he couldn’t get college kids to digest and implement what he was trying to run . He also was responsible for the hiring of Scangarello, Yenser, and Scott Woodward. So….NO !

I'm not saying he's the guy for sure. I'm just saying let's see what he does at Tampa this year.

There are some sour feelings with how he left so soon after returning, and in general how last season went and I get all that.

However, we forget that we we're about to rename Keeneland to Liam Coen horse park after what he did his first year here.

He's an up-and-coming guy and will probably be a HC in the league within a few years. He'll probably get some college interviews too.

Will Levis and Devin Leary under LC are the only two QBs we've had sniff 25 tuds and 2500 plus yds passing since Andre Woodson, maybe Hartline. One was a B10 back up, the other was an ACC QB who clearly wasn't totally over an injury.

I'm not saying he's the guy for sure. I'm just saying let's see what he does at Tampa this year.

There are some sour feelings with how he left so soon after returning, and in general how last season went and I get all that.

However, we forget that we we're about to rename Keeneland to Liam Coen horse park after what he did his first year here.

He's an up-and-coming guy and will probably be a HC in the league within a few years. He'll probably get some college interviews too.

Will Levis and Devin Leary under LC are the only two QBs we've had sniff 25 tuds and 2500 plus yds passing since Andre Woodson, maybe Hartline. One was a B10 back up, the other was an ACC QB who clearly wasn't totally over an injury.
I think Coen would be an intriguing choice, but if he is successful, his time here will be limited, probably only a year or two more than before.

He's not getting fired. People need to get that possibility out of their head. That is not happening. One...Mitch isn't doing that anytime soon regardless of a buyout. Two...we don't have $47 million sitting around to do it.
Sadly not. But I think, ala Cal, he gets so unhappy he leaves on his own.

I have nothing against Sumrall but , what has he done that Neil Brown didn’t do at the same point in his career? And no one wants Brown . Neil Brown won at LSU and came close to beating Clemson (I’m thinking that won the National Championship).
Hopefully Sumrall turns out to be great , but does he have 1 win over a P4 conference team?

It's who Barney will hire. He played here and has done well where he's been at.

I mean Popes only qualification to get hired at UK was he played here and barney hired him. If he played at any other college in the 90s he wouldn't have got an interview. Fortunately, off the court he has it together. On the court, wait and see.

I agree that would be a good thing, but I wonder if we keep White.

He might feel as though he were passed over if Sumrall gets the nod, and might take a head coaching spot elsewhere.

White is content in Lexington and doesn’t want to leave. I don’t think there would be a problem but maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I'd like to see UK think outside the box and take a look at Dudley Hilton

USC went 3/12 on third down. What more can you ask for? I agree it happened way too much last year but 3/12 is pretty damn good. Secondary has struggled since Clink left.
And I believe two of those were 3 and long. It's wild. He's actually decent except for that particular down situation.

3rd and 4? No problem.

3 and 9+? Uh-oh.

Brad White is good, not great. I don’t understand the fascination people have with him.

Four consecutive Top 20 National/Top 3 SEC finishes in defense sold a lot of people, as he did not have Top 20 recruiting classes to draw talent from.

Easily John sumrall.
Elite Coach here, one of our best recruiters during stoops tenure.

Played here and Loves this place. (Ala Mark Pope on the basketball side)

Would probably hitch hike here like Mark Pope would've if he had to for the head job.

Very likeable character in the Blue grass who runs a upstanding program who you never seem to hear much of anything negative about. We hired stoops with 0 experience at all being a head man.

Regularly punches above his weight class and talent level.

He was 11-2/12/2 in his 2 years at Troy 23-4 and has Tulane looking pretty good. Can't hold a loss against a decent AP ranked team against him.

Sumrall just has it. You can tell. One day that man is going to be regarded as one of the best in the sport if he's not already peeking that way. He's definitely twords the top of the "up and comer list".

I'd hire JS tomorrow (if he was interested) and show CMS the door if I was in charge....... But I'm not. If not I sure would see after season.

Four consecutive Top 20 National/Top 3 SEC finishes in defense sold a lot of people, as he did not have Top 20 recruiting classes to draw talent from.
I know and I don’t disagree, but he isn’t getting it done recently. Especially against teams with an offensive pulse. The Clemson game was an abomination

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT