ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Katz Rank UK #1

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
Us fans already know this but Andy Katz says we have the best fanbase in college basketball. Surprise who he ranked as #2.

"Three words: Big Blue Nation.

Even with long-time coach John Calipari leaving to steer the ship at Arkansas in April, the Wildcats’ fan base showed out at coach Mark Pope’s introductory press conference — nearly selling out Rupp Arena.

If the Kentucky faithful can fill Rupp to a brim on a random off-season Sunday with no basketball in sight, imagine what it’s like throughout the season."

I've always liked Katz, and not even just making the obvious joke here.

He's always been fair. When he has us ranked lower than I think, I assume he knows something I don't and I generally go with his insight.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
UConn at 2 is interesting, I’ve hardly ever meet any of their fans or seen people with their gear out. Maybe it’s way bigger in the northeast?

If I had to pick the most passionate fanbases, it’d be UK, KU, UNC, and IU. Those fanbases all live bball.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Purdue ahead of Indiana. That's got to sting, especially since your team hasn't been past the Sweet 16 in 23 years, and only once in 30-plus years. The Hoosiers used to claim their program and fan base were the equal of Kentucky, back in the Reagan days. Now they are trying to catch up with the Boilermakers.

UConn at 2 is interesting, I’ve hardly ever meet any of their fans or seen people with their gear out. Maybe it’s way bigger in the northeast?

If I had to pick the most passionate fanbases, it’d be UK, KU, UNC, and IU. Those fanbases all live bball.

They are pretty big now. But it's easy to gain a following when you have 6 titles over the last 25 years or whatever. Basically, every few years, you get to watch your team go on this amazing run. Uconn fans have had it nice and when a team has it THAT nice, it brings in fans.

Uconn two years ago, was placed in Albany, NY for the opening region. That's about 2-2.5 hours from Storrs. Now keep in mind, they were, what a 4-seed? And they hadn't won anything yet with Hurley. And the Albany Arena was SWARMED with Uconn fans. They completely took it over. That's pretty impressive of their fanbase in hindsight.

Us fans already know this but Andy Katz says we have the best fanbase in college basketball. Surprise who he ranked as #2.

"Three words: Big Blue Nation.

Even with long-time coach John Calipari leaving to steer the ship at Arkansas in April, the Wildcats’ fan base showed out at coach Mark Pope’s introductory press conference — nearly selling out Rupp Arena.

If the Kentucky faithful can fill Rupp to a brim on a random off-season Sunday with no basketball in sight, imagine what it’s like throughout the season."
He's 100% right about #1 that's not even up for debate. BUT, BUT after that I don't agree with several of his other choices. Arkansas might have the 2nd best fanbase in college basketball. I'll never forget the 1995 SEC tournament finals between UK & Arkansas they Arkansas had almost as many fans at the game as UK did...... Also whether you like them or not, Louisville should absolutely be in the top 10. in my opinion they should be in the top 5.

Purdue ahead of Indiana. That's got to sting,
It’s also really stupid. Just as putting UConn at No. 2 is.

It’s total “prisoner of the moment” thinking. Just because those programs are doing really well and getting more attention “right now” he decides the same must be true of their fan bases.

But it’s just not true. UConn does not have nearly the sort of “core” fan base as the traditional blueblood programs. Not even remotely close. It only sorta seems that way now because of phony fair weather fans who jumped on the recent title bandwagon. Those folks will be gone in a second as soon as UConn stops being trendy.

Same goes for IU and Purdue. Even though Purdue’s been doing far better on the court, IU still has the larger and more avid fan base.

UK
KU
UNC
IU
Duke

Wouldn't have Uconn in my top 5 honestly. I guess maybe they are in there but I wpuld still bet a game equal distance from Any of the other 4 schools I listed got twice the fans there than Uconn.

He needs to edit the article. “Nearly selling out” is wrong on two levels. First of all it was free, secondly (and more importantly) there were at least several hundred, if not several thousand people turned away at the door. The arena was filled to capacity and fans were spilling out onto the concourses. Many people got into the building but didn’t get to see the introduction, except on the concourse TV’s. It was nuts.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
I couldn’t care less about where a sports analyst thinks we rank as a fanbase. 🤣

UK
KU
UNC
IU
Duke

Wouldn't have Uconn in my top 5 honestly. I guess maybe they are in there but I wpuld still bet a game equal distance from Any of the other 4 schools I listed got twice the fans there than Uconn.
If have Duke over IU. I see Duke fans randomly in the weirdest places, sometimes even here in the Commonwealth (which should be grounds for treason in my book especially so since UofL is a conference opp now).

I agree with the rest of that list for sure.

UK
KU
UNC
IU
Duke

This.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT