ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur Athletics is officially dead.

I find myself at odds between my wants and what I think should happen.
I want for college sports to continue. It’s my favorite form of entertainment.
What I think should happen: Shut it down. If someone wants to go to school, let them pay to go to school like everyone else. If they want to try to play a sport for money, let them go do it at whatever age someone wants to pay them to do it. Kept it 100% separate from school. Just shut it down and quit pretending that it’s something it isn’t.
I hate it, but just shut it down. For the record: as long as it’s not shut down, I’m still gonna follow it just like I always have.

It is time to face the music. The day of exploiting athletes for peanuts is over. SINS OF THE FATHER!! It is laughable that some universities were creating worthless classes for worthless degrees just to keep some players eligible. By the time the athletes realized the extent to which they had been exploited, the damage was done.
I agree that it is time for change. What I am saying is those that are making billions will not go down quietly.

Athletes need to be employees of each university, with real life classes and the ability to take classes for the athletes that want an education. Since only about 3% of athletes actually go pro in any sport the rest need that education that we are calling worthless. I would say 75% of college athletes actually take proper classes, put hours in towards degrees.

They are part of the collusion although I am not sure why you would even introduce the WNBA into this discussion.
I would say to be inclusive of womens athletics and WNBA is the arena where women can make the most right now. Softball, nothing, soccer, nope, gymnastics uh no. So that would be why, my guess.

if a booster owns a major business, then they can’t hire that athlete for commercials unless it is at standard national average rate for similar work (no 1mil 20 sec commercial spots…pay what the average for every other college athlete in commercials is)

Well, yes they can. Unless they specifically stated this in a CBA - which would invite a wave of lawsuits - you can’t restrict an individual’s NIL.

The NBA doesn’t even attempt to restrict individual NIL because they know they can’t enforce it and it’d be challenged legally. The difference is that NBA markets are so large, the endorsement deal are usually national, that one “booster” type deal doesn’t move the needle. But in small college markets, it still can.

I'm not. College athletics was set up so that you exchanged your skills (ie basketball) for a free education, and some players hoped to be good enough to be drafted out of college. Others wanted to finish their education and go professional in something other than basketball, or maybe get into coaching. That's how it was founded. But GREED, ENTITLEMENT and SELFISHNESS.
That’s not why college athletics were set up. College athletics has been a commercial endeavor from the start.

The very first intercollegiate competition was the 1852 Harvard Yale regatta. It was sponsored by a railroad company to promote a resort in New Hampshire. Both teams received a two weeks, paid vacation in exchange for participating in the race.

Also of note, both teams cheated by using paid professionals who were not enrolled as students.

Your view of the origins of college athletics does not align with the reality of what actually happened.

Why do people think college athletes if that’s what we’re talking about deserve compensation beyond their scholarship? In many cases that’s worth over 200K. You’re going to a school for free to play sports, which isn’t even done anywhere else in the world. The fact that most of them don’t bother to take advantage of it isn’t anyone else’s problem

Anyone good enough will eventually make money playing professionally. It’s not really that difficult. They’ve turned this into a joke with this ridiculous victim mentality and the entire system is gonna burn down

Your construct of such a system is only so that universities are able to continue making cash based on the skills of the players. Players shouldn't have to go to college just to develop their God given talents. Believe it or not, players are real people who are not here just for our entertainment. They want to and should be able to maximize their money-making skills without unnecessary restrictions just as non-athletes.
You know, it would be more constructive to discuss things with you if you didn’t always seem to come at folks with such a condescending know-it-all tone. I’m happy to read others thoughts about my “construct” – both pro and con. That’s what I wanted – to hear other basketball fans’ thoughts about why it could work or why they think it would not.

But your straw-man moralizing isn’t constructive or even on point. Believe it or not, professional athletes are real people too and they do play largely for our entertainment (as well as their livelihood). And nobody would be preventing a player from maximizing their money-making skills with school affiliated league teams any more than the NBA prevents its players from doing so.

Man, just bring up your points like a normal person and have a conversation. If I think you have a good point and negates whatever I was suggesting, I’m man enough to say “you’re right.” A lot of folks seem to have trouble with that last part though, don’t they?

You know, it would be more constructive to discuss things with you if you didn’t always seem to come at folks with such a condescending know-it-all tone. I’m happy to read others thoughts about my “construct” – both pro and con. That’s what I wanted – to hear other basketball fans’ thoughts about why it could work or why they think it would not.

But your straw-man moralizing isn’t constructive or even on point. Believe it or not, professional athletes are real people too and they do play largely for our entertainment (as well as their livelihood). And nobody would be preventing a player from maximizing their money-making skills with school affiliated league teams any more than the NBA prevents its players from doing so.

Man, just bring up your points like a normal person and have a conversation. If I think you have a good point and negates whatever I was suggesting, I’m man enough to say “you’re right.” A lot of folks seem to have trouble with that last part though, don’t they? This might be their greatest opportunity during their lifetime to make some really good money.
I don't recall you soliciting input from others to assist you with making your post, so why do you think others should have to respond to your post in a way that is satisfactory to you? There is nothing wrong with my response to you other than not agreeing with you.

As for your comments about professional players, it would be on point if this was about professional players. However, this is about players who may never make it to the NBA but still deserve fair compensation for the revenue they help generate while playing college basketball.

My reason for posting isn't for you to agree with it. It is nothing more serious than me providing my opinion. If you looked at it that way, maybe you wouldn't be offended by me disagreeing with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pmalone6719

Man, just bring up your points like a normal person and have a conversation. If I think you have a good point and negates whatever I was suggesting, I’m man enough to say “you’re right.” A lot of folks seem to have trouble with that last part though, don’t they?
Posts don't really have a tone. People apply tones in their head. I guarantee I can read your post that I quoted outloud in the most condescending manner ever.

I agree that it is time for change. What I am saying is those that are making billions will not go down quietly.

Athletes need to be employees of each university, with real life classes and the ability to take classes for the athletes that want an education. Since only about 3% of athletes actually go pro in any sport the rest need that education that we are calling worthless. I would say 75% of college athletes actually take proper classes, put hours in towards degrees.
As the recipient of multiple college degrees, I am certainly not calling college degrees worthless in general. I am calling a considerable number of degrees that athletes receive worthless. If one is going to go through the process of acquiring a degree, it should be one that can seriously aid the former athletes in taking care of themselves and their families

Last edited:
Posts don't really have a tone. People apply tones in their head. I guarantee I can read your post that I quoted outloud in the most condescending manner ever.
I agree that tone can often be in the eye of the reader. But I don't think I was off base with LmdCat. Regardless, maybe I should have just ignored whatever I thought it was and not responded at all. Live and learn.

I agree that tone can often be in the eye of the reader. But I don't think I was off base with LmdCat. Regardless, maybe I should have just ignored whatever I thought it was and not responded at all. Live and learn.
So, you think I am whatever; who cares? Let it go and move on to your next post.

You don't get it. This IS the lawsuit.
I know this is a lawsuit. Now there will be more. What's stopping a group of former players from opening a lawsuit to challenge the standard 4 year collegiate careers now that they're paid employees of the schools. Other university employees don't have to move on after 4 years.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I just read an article talking about private equity firms investing in schools now. This will be crazy. Mainly for college football but we are about to see our teams sponsored like pro teams to have capital to compete.

Well, yes they can. Unless they specifically stated this in a CBA - which would invite a wave of lawsuits - you can’t restrict an individual’s NIL.

The NBA doesn’t even attempt to restrict individual NIL because they know they can’t enforce it and it’d be challenged legally. The difference is that NBA markets are so large, the endorsement deal are usually national, that one “booster” type deal doesn’t move the needle. But in small college markets, it still can.
You’re missing the point. As is…yes they can. But if you outlawed money from boosters again, and a booster is associated with a university and owns a company then it is a conflict of interest. Conflict of interest are limited by law all the in the business world. That wouldn’t be the same as limiting where a kid can take NIL from….thats also where “Market value” appraisals come into play.

For example, Tyson’s chicken can hire an Arkansas player to do a commercial but they are required by federal law to pay the national average of what similar commercials and athletes elsewhere are receiving. If institutions are agreeing to play in a league, the league can implement rules, and if boosters are outlawed again, then that’s where market value allows hiring, but not over valuation loop holes

Yeah, arbitrary 4 years of eligibility should disappear. That’s just an old rule based on fairness and graduating typically in 4 years with the Bachelors. Adios .

Why do people think college athletes if that’s what we’re talking about deserve compensation beyond their scholarship? In many cases that’s worth over 200K. You’re going to a school for free to play sports, which isn’t even done anywhere else in the world. The fact that most of them don’t bother to take advantage of it isn’t anyone else’s problem

Anyone good enough will eventually make money playing professionally. It’s not really that difficult. They’ve turned this into a joke with this ridiculous victim mentality and the entire system is gonna burn down
Do you think that all of these guys in football and basketball playing at UK and making millions for the university should make $50,000/year? Or do you think they should be compensated at their value?

It is going to take time to straighten this out. Anytime you get lawyers involved they are going to screw things up.

I just read an article talking about private equity firms investing in schools now. This will be crazy. Mainly for college football but we are about to see our teams sponsored like pro teams to have capital to compete.
Murica. the only way to get anything done is to sell out. We've lost our soul.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Nah, no way should the universities be the only ones making money (and lots of it too) without a dime going to the athletes.
... a dime? Is that all you expected? NIL was intended to provide some "walking-around" money for athletes to replace the $100 handshakes and covert cheating and rule-breaking of NCAA standards. What was intended to provide an allowed "benefit" for all athletes has now turned into a complete cluster f**k and is now on the precipice of destroying collegiate athletics as we know it. College athletes are and have always been "paid" in the form of free tuition and room and board while earning a college education, so that when these same ( 98% ) college athletes realize that they will "not" become professional athletes, they at least have an education with which to pursue an authentic professional career in something not related to and much more important than "sport". SMH

Last edited:
Reactions: Kybluedude
It isn't that the universities are the only ones who can provide the platform. If they didn't something else would provide the means for them to perform and the money would follow them. Basically, the universities need the athletes more than the athletes need them. Why is it that basketball and football are the only two major sports that places so many restrictions on individuals who want to get paid for their skills? The system is designed to enable universities, coaches, and the NCAA to make money on these kids before they are allowed to be paid their true market value. Basically, it is a tax or shakedown that the athlete must indirectly pay in order to play.
Disagree to an extent. If the universities needed the players more than the players needed the universities, then players would go elsewhere in droves to prepare and audition for the NBA… yet they don’t.

Reactions: fredmanthecatfan
Sadly it’s damn hard to truly go of grid anymore and not be travel or bothered. Government and companies own everything. I’m not a sovereign nutjob or anything but it’s just wild how much we just can’t do. Wanna build soemthing? Permit, taxes. Hell I’ve seen some places where if you just want to buy a pool at like Walmart (just some cheap above ground thing) cites want you to buy a permit. To build on your own damn property.

Sick of it man. Sick of it. Being a cave hermit sounds better every day.
... very happy to hear that you are sick of it. You damned well should be. You haven't begun to truly hear the depth of depravity to which all of us have been subjected. It's damned scary and it's time for people to simply refuse to be subjected to it and it has nothing to do with sport, at any level. IYKYK.

Reactions: OnonUofK92
Players will be employees. Employees get to take their training and experience with them when they move on to a new job for better pay and their prior employer gets nothing.
Yeah, that’s a fair interpretation as well. It ass depends on perspective.

Do you think that all of these guys in football and basketball playing at UK and making millions for the university should make $50,000/year? Or do you think they should be compensated at their value?
Well if there’s a better option they’re free to pursue it but no I don’t favor giving out more than a full scholarship. That’s what college sports is supposed to be.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
... a dime? Is that all you expected? NIL was intended to provide some "walking-around" money for athletes to replace the $100 handshakes and covert cheating and rule-breaking of NCAA standards. What was intended to provide an allowed "benefit" for all athletes has now turned into a complete cluster f**k and is now on the precipice of destroying collegiate athletics as we know it. College athletes are and have always been "paid" in the form of free tuition and room and board while earning a college education, so that when these same ( 98% ) college athletes realize that they will "not" become professional athletes, they at least have an education with which to pursue an authentic professional career in something not related to and much more important than "sport". SMH
Free tuition is not being paid.

You’re missing the point. As is…yes they can. But if you outlawed money from boosters again, and a booster is associated with a university and owns a company then it is a conflict of interest. Conflict of interest are limited by law all the in the business world. That wouldn’t be the same as limiting where a kid can take NIL from….thats also where “Market value” appraisals come into play.

For example, Tyson’s chicken can hire an Arkansas player to do a commercial but they are required by federal law to pay the national average of what similar commercials and athletes elsewhere are receiving. If institutions are agreeing to play in a league, the league can implement rules, and if boosters are outlawed again, then that’s where market value allows hiring, but not over valuation loop holes
But for this to happen, the colleges and players union would have to agree on it in the CBA. What possible reason would the players have to limit their earnings from anywhere? And the NCAA can’t just make a rule about it, because their one sided authority is the entire reason we’re in this mess.

So the colleges would have one option - lock out the players until they cave in. That would be an absolute mess, much more complicated than a NBA or NFL lockout. Some athletic departments might not survive. What if the college football players union went on strike in solidarity? Not to mention the PR.

I don’t see them doing that. Pay them their share to make the courts happy and don’t fight an extremely ugly fight you may lose.

It is what it is.
Why would a paid player go to class? Is History 101 necessary to help with your job?
So paying players is no longer illegal, it will be mandatory.
I imagine schools will figure a 'base salary' for all players with NIL a part of individual 'bonus structure'.
College sport no longer needs Athletic Directors, they need General Managers.

... very happy to hear that you are sick of it. You damned well should be. You haven't begun to truly hear the depth of depravity to which all of us have been subjected. It's damned scary and it's time for people to simply refuse to be subjected to it and it has nothing to do with sport, at any level. IYKYK.
We didn't learn from the French in 1789. We're about to I think.

I mean, we've got an increasing amount of people that can't even afford housing.

Something has to give.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Disagree to an extent. If the universities needed the players more than the players needed the universities, then players would go elsewhere in droves to prepare and audition for the NBA… yet they don’t.
This is true. Big time schools give big time college athletes exposure they don’t get anywhere else. I’ve never seen a G League game. Football has tried USFL and XFL and both have pretty much flopped.

College athletes have received value for their services all along. Many have not taken full advantage of it.
That doesn’t mean that the NCAA has not been archaic and stupid with restrictions placed on athletes receiving outside compensation.

Sadly, I think it’s on the path to self destruct.

There are common sense measures that should have been implemented years ago.
However, combining lawyers academia, and corporate interests, common sense is way too much to ask for.

Tell that to someone actually paying for it lmao. It’s already ridiculous to go to school for free to play a game. Now somehow that’s not good enough. Then it’ll never be good enough…which is why the entire thing will die
You think free tuition is equal to what the athlete makes for the school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT