ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur Athletics is officially dead.

Ed OBannon started all this. Wonder how much he got for bringing this to "light". Players should be paid something but there has to be a reworking of all this somehow. One thing that will never change though is the peoples lust for money. And it's getting worse as time goes by.

Hopefully it's the "death" of the bureaucratic, discriminatory, two faced, low life, no good NCAA!!!!

I'm just curious as to HOW the schools decide to break down the money distribution. It should just go to the sports that ACTUALLY make money. Which in turn will hurt all of the non-revenue sports and athletes.

Kind of funny the details. ACC schools like Louisville will be responsible for paying out more than SEC schools like Kentucky.

I'm about done with it. I gave up on pro sports because of the greed. Not really wanting to go through this crap with college now. When's the first strike going to happen? They should have just let college stay the way it was and if you didn't like it, go play in a developmental league or overseas. Nothing was stopping that. I hope the whole system comes crashing down.

Ed OBannon started all this. Wonder how much he got for bringing this to "light". Players should be paid something but there has to be a reworking of all this somehow. One thing that will never change though is the peoples lust for money. And it's getting worse as time goes by.
Greed is good….to a degree. It’s ok to be a little selfish. What we are seeing in America now is insatiable greed. Soaring corporate profits and now this. I’m all for capitalism. But damn our priorities are eight now up. Companies are sucking America dry and not putting back into it like they used too.

I'm about done with it. I gave up on pro sports because of the greed. Not really wanting to go through this crap with college now. When's the first strike going to happen? They should have just let college stay the way it was and if you didn't like it, go play in a developmental league or overseas. Nothing was stopping that. I hope the whole system comes crashing down.
All the NCAA had to do decades ago as let players make money off of gear. They said no. Now here we are. NCAA killed college sports. I up they go bankrupt. They effing deserve it.

Players will know receive direct payments from universities if a judge approves (which they will).

College Sports as we know it is dead.
This is a good thing

Opens the door for players to unionize

Which opens the door for NCAA/conferences to negotiate terms for rules.

This eventually allows a path to multi year contracts w buyout clauses (like coaches have) which helps keep yearly transfers at bay and limit poaching and yearly recruiting the same roster (or else you get paid by the receiving school)

Also opens the door to salary caps. Making collectives and booster direct bidding wars illegal again. All money must be visa donations to the university and then paid either W2 or contractor style to the athlete. Enforceable salary caps which now makes roster/salary management a part of the game and strategy for coaches and front office. Roster building is back eventually. Any money exchanging hands outside the school>player pipeline that isn’t a commercial, jersey sales, etc is a violation and ncaa gets some teeth back (whether they actually use it unbiased is a diff story)..if a booster owns a major business, then they can’t hire that athlete for commercials unless it is at standard national average rate for similar work (no 1mil 20 sec commercial spots…pay what the average for every other college athlete in commercials is)

It's weird to me. They're grown ass men.

We've only very recently started referring to 18-20 year olds as 'kids'
I’m middle aged. An 18 year old is a kid to me. And sec a kid to someone in their 70s.

Once someone can drink? Not so much as kid to me anymore. Or if someone goes the military route. Not a kid either. But an 18 year old that just got out of high school? He doesn’t know shit about life for the most part. That’s a kid regardless of legal age.

Greed is good….to a degree. It’s ok to be a little selfish. What we are seeing in America now is insatiable greed. Soaring corporate profits and now this. I’m all for capitalism. But damn our priorities are eight now up. Companies are sucking America dry and not putting back into it like they used too.
I’m happy players are getting paid, I just wonder how these smaller colleges survive.

• Sad
Reactions: KFuqua and Zissou87
I say this to my buddies all the time and they laugh, but I could try as hard as I could to "get off the grid" and live off the land with very little money and I'd be happy. Outside of time with my family, nothing makes me happier than driving way out in the middle of nowhere to camp, hike, and fish and have no phone service/internet. I think everyone needs to take breaks like this. Recharge those batteries.

I say this to my buddies all the time and they laugh, but I could try as hard as I could to "get off the grid" and live off the land with very little money and I'd be happy. Outside of time with my family, nothing makes me happier than driving way out in the middle of nowhere to camp, hike, and fish and have no phone service/internet. I think everyone needs to take breaks like this. Recharge those batteries.
Sadly it’s damn hard to truly go of grid anymore and not be travel or bothered. Government and companies own everything. I’m not a sovereign nutjob or anything but it’s just wild how much we just can’t do. Wanna build soemthing? Permit, taxes. Hell I’ve seen some places where if you just want to buy a pool at like Walmart (just some cheap above ground thing) cites want you to buy a permit. To build on your own damn property.

Sick of it man. Sick of it. Being a cave hermit sounds better every day.

Sadly it’s damn hard to truly go of grid anymore and not be travel or bothered. Government and companies own everything. I’m not a sovereign nutjob or anything but it’s just wild how much we just can’t do. Wanna build soemthing? Permit, taxes. Hell I’ve seen some places where if you just want to buy a pool at like Walmart (just some cheap above ground thing) cites want you to buy a permit. To build on your own damn property.

Sick of it man. Sick of it. Being a cave hermit sounds better every day.
I completely, completely empathize and relate to you on this.

I’m happy players are getting paid, I just wonder how these smaller colleges survive.
I'm not. College athletics was set up so that you exchanged your skills (ie basketball) for a free education, and some players hoped to be good enough to be drafted out of college. Others wanted to finish their education and go professional in something other than basketball, or maybe get into coaching. That's how it was founded. But GREED, ENTITLEMENT and SELFISHNESS.

I'm not. College athletics was set up so that you exchanged your skills (ie basketball) for a free education, and some players hoped to be good enough to be drafted out of college. Others wanted to finish their education and go professional in something other than basketball, or maybe get into coaching. That's how it was founded. But GREED, ENTITLEMENT and SELFISHNESS.
Nah, no way should the universities be the only ones making money (and lots of it too) without a dime going to the athletes.

I haven’t read much into it or even tried to understand it but how would this affect a team like UConn compared to a team like Kentucky who is in a power 5 conference? Are guys like Liam McNeely and Great Osobor now kicking themselves for their decisions?

Nah, no way should the universities be the only ones making money (and lots of it too) without a dime going to the athletes.
That money at least partially went to maintaining and upgrading facilities, paying teacher salaries, and other things. Sports was a funding source for those things.

Reactions: UKortho and KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT