ADVERTISEMENT

Alvin Brooks III hired

He could easily
I've heard that no school is going to force XYZ player to attend if they don't want to do so, but has any player just backed out of their NLI like that with no extenuating circumstances?

Yes, Alvin got got by Pope, but that's not a head coaching change. Unless he has a sick aunt nearby, I don't think he has the family angle, either. Just curious how it could be done easily.

I've heard that no school is going to force XYZ player to attend if they don't want to do so, but has any player just backed out of their NLI like that with no extenuating circumstances?

Yes, Alvin got got by Pope, but that's not a head coaching change. Unless he has a sick aunt nearby, I don't think he has the family angle, either. Just curious how it could be done easily.
Not a head coaching change but he could easily claim he commited there because of the assistant. Besides no school want the issue of forcing a player to stay, it would crush future recruiting and probably open litigation these days.

Brooks has worked for Drew for several years. I'm sure he has great respect for Drew, so I wouldn't think he would try to take any players with him. Now, if a player calls him and wants out, that might be different.

I don’t think a player has to have any particular angle. They can just ask to be released, and the school can either choose to grant the release, or not. These days, it seems schools don’t make a scene over such things… makes for bad press, whether it’s right or wrong.

Not that I think Edgecombe will actually consider seeking release.

He's already in the front office at OKC. I think he has future GM/VP etc. written all over him at the pro level. I don't see him going back to the college ranks.

If Fox isn't in the NIL/GM role, that would open the door for Nazr or another former player whose name escapes me. I think he's a manager or has some admin role with an NBA team out west.

Not saying either would take it, but Nazr might love UK enough to give it a go.

Last edited:
Because, as we all know so well, the only thing that ever went through and still goes through Cal's mind in all phases of his "coaching" is "DRAFT....DRAFT.....GOTTA GET THESE KIDS TO THE DRAFT.....DRAFT.....BUH BUH DRAFT....HUHUHUH DRAFT!!

He's the equivalent of Everett McGill in Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, except instead of "my hair", Cal wakes up every morning blurting out "my draft!".

z85A9nx.gif
I don't want Champs! I'm a Diaper Dandy man!

Rajon Rondo is on campus taking classes...

He's got a lot of irons in the fire though, podcasts, coaching his kids travel teams, completing degree...

If he is interested, he's the guy. Dude is well regarded as a savant by all his NBA peers.
He had some domestic violence reports/concerns. Mitch wasn't allowed to interview Beard or Pearl due to their pasts. I have my doubts Rondo is going to get the clear from the higher up's in the university.

Reactions: westerncat
Rajon Rondo is on campus taking classes...

He's got a lot of irons in the fire though, podcasts, coaching his kids travel teams, completing degree...

If he is interested, he's the guy. Dude is well regarded as a savant by all his NBA peers.
Two things.
1. Does Rondo have any sort of major legal issues like I've read on the board or is that junk? Weed and a handgun just seems like small potatoes considering other stuff going on at other programs (might be reductive – I skimmed an article).

2. If Rondo really was coaching over his HC in the NBA, could he play nice on Pope's staff?

I didn't think Fox was in a GM position. My understanding was he was a non-recruiting assistant brought in for x's and o's and specifically defense.
There was a lot of chaff on Twitter about him having the GM/NIL position. At least when he was first hired. Maybe it was the Bruiser comment people made or something else.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT