ADVERTISEMENT

All you Cal haters who thought we could fire him and just take our pick

83Cat

Junior
Mar 31, 2009
Franklin, TN by way of Louisville, KY
are incredibly naive. This was the question I always had…how are ya gonna replace him? Who is going to recruit top players? What contacts does he have in the states that produce the great players? Even on the NIL, Lexington does not have major companies like many other schools to help support them. This is a great step into reality. You got your wish, Cal is gone. No one wants the job and we are bringing in an unproven coach with little opportunity to retain or bring in 5 star recruits. Great plan. I guess if we make the tournament and make it past the first weekend now everyone will call this a win.

are incredibly naive. This was the question I always had…how are ya gonna replace him? Who is going to recruit top players? What contacts does he have in the states that produce the great players? Even on the NIL, Lexington does not have major companies like many other schools to help support them. This is a great step into reality. You got your wish, Cal is gone. No one wants the job and we are bringing in an unproven coach with little opportunity to retain or bring in 5 star recruits. Great plan. I guess if we make the tournament and make it past the first weekend now everyone will call this a win.

There's not much difference between a 1st round exit under Pope vs Calipari. Except Pope is going to do everything he can to win and we won't have to learn a bunch of new names the next season.

It certainly wasn’t a win being beat in round one of the tournament right? Seek a safe space in your room with your Cal posters on the wall. Cal was a proven coach and proved he couldn’t coach.

Cal sucked. End of story. The dude could get players, just couldn’t do shit with them.

He’ll probably come back to life a little at Arky, but it doesn’t change the fact he was mailing it in for more than half a decade at UK. That’s unacceptable.

Bottom line: he went somewhere they would tolerate his BS and excuses. If Pope loses, at least we won’t have to listen to him make excuses. He will own it. He made that very clear in his presser. And that, to me, is refreshing as hell.

I will not bash you for your opinion, Everyone is entitled to one. But there is something you must understand: Calapri left on his own due to his bosses and fans wanting more for their money. He left in the middle of the night so to speak.
Instead of owning what he created, he tucked his tail and left.
I am with you on concerns going forward; who really can;'t be with a new coach.

Our new coach brings something we haven't seen in a long time; passion for the job.
I don't see Mark Pope getting complacent, arrogant, condescending any time soon; all traits of Coach Cal.

I would have much rather Cal left under different circumstances but this is his choosing and so be it. We are UK.
We are bigger than Coach Cal whether he believes it or not.

We may not have the best of seasons come next year with everyone leaving, but in time Coach Cal will be an afterthought. Time heals everything.

When he came here from Memphis, someone said he would leave this way and how true that was.
Again, this is Cal's decision all because he was stubborn and thought he could just keep losing games and no one dare hold him accountable.

Coach Cal left like a thief in the night. So with that, he can eat hog shit till the cows come home.

Sorry that your feeling are hurt, but your guy, Cal, hasn't done anything for Kentucky for quite some time. He gave up trying once he got that big fat contract. Cal isn't hard to replace. And losing the majority of the one and done players he's had in here, with their special treatment (don't want to hurt their feelings), Kentucky is on a great path. We have a coach that loves Kentucky and actually bleeds blue and that's such a great change! The NIL money at Kentucky has been coming in at a much larger rate since your guy left, so that should tell you a lot. I did get my wish and I'm happy to have Mark Pope here and happy that Cal is gone. I look for Mark to do great things here and will enjoy every step of it. Go cheer for your guy at Arkansas; Kentucky will not miss you!

Kentucky > Cal. Bye bye now

Get a backbone, it is so much nicer to live, how many sorry fans we got sneaking off the Titanic in the liferafts instead of the Ladies and Children. That's the image I have in my head. Pitiful.

Go Cats.

I will not bash you for your opinion, Everyone is entitled to one. But there is something you must understand: Calapri left on his own due to his bosses and fans wanting more for their money. He left in the middle of the night so to speak.
Instead of owning what he created, he tucked his tail and left.
I am with you on concerns going forward; who really can;'t be with a new coach.

Our new coach brings something we haven't seen in a long time; passion for the job.
I don't see Mark Pope getting complacent, arrogant, condescending any time soon; all traits of Coach Cal.

I would have much rather Cal left under different circumstances but this is his choosing and so be it. We are UK.
We are bigger than Coach Cal whether he believes it or not.

We may not have the best of seasons come next year with everyone leaving, but in time Coach Cal will be an afterthought. Time heals everything.

When he came here from Memphis, someone said he would leave this way and how true that was.
Again, this is Cal's decision all because he was stubborn and thought he could just keep losing games and no one dare hold him accountable.

Coach Cal left like a thief in the night. So with that, he can eat hog shit till the cows come home.
Who's Coach Cal? Sooey Pig!!!!!!!🐷

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
News flash .... HE QUIT. MADE A MESS AND DIDNT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT. SO HE QUIT.
NO ONE FIRED HIM. HE QUIT.

Pk7Na7D.gif

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We didn’t fire him.

🤦‍♂️

Once more with feeling....John Calipari was not fired. He left. AFTER a joint conference with the AD about coming back. Nobody pulled the rug on him, nobody stabbed him in the back.

If you think fans love every coach while he is here talk to Joe Halls family. Or Tubby Smith.

I had grown tired of his philosophy and lack of coaching. Maybe this change rejuvenates him...but it was obvious that wasn't going to happen at Kentucky.

You do realize Cal wasn't winning enough in the post season with those 5* freshmen for about 6-8 years?

Cal didn't get fired because he can't recruit. Cal got fired because he keeps getting beat in the tournament by teams with little to no 5*/lottery picks.

Was only a matter of time before he got embarrassed by Pitino or even Mark Pope. I was shocked the committee didn't try to set that up this year. They love story lines, they love coaching rivalries, and they love sticking UK with tough mid-major programs.

Dude isn't stupid. He knows what teams are advancing in the SEC tourney, and big dance every year. He has always known that if he got dudes to return, he'd probably have more conference titles for sure, more S16s, EEs, couple more FFs, and 1 or 2 more big titles.

He was coasting on that big contract, eyes on the big retirement/ambassadorship golden parachute, and content on padding his NBA legacy.

The game had changed, and he is just past the point in his life and career of wanting or really needing to change.

Don't be such a loser. Pope was a risk but look what it has already done to this fan base. Go cheer for whatever loser school you secretly root for and stay off the UK board! Seeeee ya!

Reactions: KFuqua
Go do your hog call.

I think it really depends on what you want and what your goals are for your team. If it's to turn out NBA talent that you can follow in the pro's sure Cal was great at that. If what you want from your team is to get past the first round of the NCAA tournament then it's hard to argue that Cal was your coach. It just all depends on what you want from Kentucky basketball.

If you offer enough money the players will come. Plenty of reasons to come besides the money BUT if you want the studs you gotta throw cash at them.

I don’t recall reading many or any posts like that. But do keep in mind that Cow stole the program from the fans and held it hostage to the NBA. Pope seems to be trying to give the team back to the fans and the people of Kentucky. I will take that over the Cow Turd any day

Anyone who needs this explained to them is too weak minded to understand it anyway. The sad part is it took him leaving for a lot to finally see him for what he really is. I guess they’re a little better off mentally than the ones who still think Cal was some rockstar coach and great guy.

enjoy puberty op

GTFO.

Sunday should have shown you - and everyone in the sport - that UK needed to move on from John Calipari. Heck, he said it himself - "time for a new voice."

And, never forget, he snuck away in the dark of night after secret meetings with Arkansas in Phoenix while simultaneously releasing podcasts and doing interviews about next year's UK team/roster.

The last 10 years we landed at least 40 of these elite 5 stars you speak of won a total of 10 NCAA tournament games and 11 SECT games. Average of 2 post season wins per year and considering we had 2 SEC titles and a runner up and two elite 8’s during this time makes it even worse. 2 post season wins in the last 4 years (5 including cancelled season). And you want to sign up for more of the same. Go be a hog fan if that’s the case. Calling the hogs should be easy to learn.

I think for most Kentucky fans when Cal said on draft night it was the greatest night for Ky basketball it was a oh no moment. It was tolerable during the great run he had in the first several years of his tenure. But the statement came back to haunt him when the winning at a high level stopped. He decided to leave when the support for his philosophy and methods waned. Best of luck at Arkansas unless he's playing Kentucky.

UK didn't fire him. He quit. Yeah if UK makes it past the first weekend that will be an improvement on what Calipari was getting done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT