ADVERTISEMENT

All 7 Declaring for the Draft

7 guys WOULD HAVE TO BE a record for one team. I personally believe Coach Cal wants 7 drafted just to say he got it done.

Originally posted by bookerfan66:
Originally posted by MWes11:

Originally posted by bookerfan66:

Well we have had two straight final fours so I can take a down year next season.
Are you kidding me?

ec
You really think losing 7 players to the NBA many of whom are experencied won't effect us next season? There is no way we can replace all that talent.
This post was edited on 4/9 9:55 AM by bookerfan66
I think losing those players will hurt tremendously. I also think we will reload. Skal will be one of the best players in all of college basketball. We will have two excellent point guards (Ulis and Briscoe), a slashing wing (Matthews), an experienced power forward (albeit coming off an acl surgery) (Poythress), a super athletic bouncy 4 man (Lee), I also think Willis and Hawkins can give us some good spot minutes, and we aren't done recruiting (Maker, Brown, Newman, Zimmerman, Diallo are all possibilities).

IMO, it is never okay to have a down year when you are Kentucky. Just my opinion of course.

This post was edited on 4/9 10:09 AM by MWes11

Joneslab,

Players come for the tradition, facilities, fan base, national exposure, and the coach. Cal has taken us to another level, but it isn't as if we haven't been fielding championship caliber teams for decades.

Originally posted by Aike:
Joneslab,

Players come for the tradition, facilities, fan base, national exposure, and the coach. Cal has taken us to another level, but it isn't as if we haven't been fielding championship caliber teams for decades.
Those things are part of it but the players come for Cal. Pitino's players came for Pitino. And so on.

The poster seems to be lamenting the fact that it's not about "us." We're the ones who care about us. For us, it's about tradition and all the corollary things that make up a program.

These players have an attachment to Calipari. The corollary stuff is important but not essential. If Cal signed a top five class and jumped to another school, you'd likely see the class follow him.

Just how it is. I've no problem with it at all.

Originally posted by wcc31:

Originally posted by Born and raised Big Blue:
Nba legion said all but dakari.
Johnson is likely an early 2nd rounder, so shut up, tip your cap to a kid who gave us his all and be a good fan.

You bitches would still be crying about a 2014 S16 loss to Louisville if it wasn't for Dakari. Remember that.
Not sure why you are saying all this. The tweet included every player but Dakari, what I was trying to say is that they did not include Dakari in the tweet. Referencing maybe he is not going pro. I am not saying anything bad about him. So take your anger elsewhere sir.

The tweet. Kentucky's Karl Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker, & harrison Twins are expected to declare for NBA draft today.

Now read my post again. Thanks.
This post was edited on 4/9 10:21 AM by Born and raised Big Blue

This post was edited on 4/9 10:34 AM by Born and raised Big Blue

As fans, and humans, we are allowed an assortment of feelings. A parent is happy for a child going to college, but sad that the house will lose the noise and the joy that was characterized by that same child. See how it works? It's pragmatic happiness because it benefits one individual at the expense of a personal desire of another. To take the narrow party line like a good little Stepford Wife and do what we're told - which for some of you apparently means abandoning emotions altogether for the sake of the downstream current - is not something that any of us have to do. The fact that some of you would condescend others to the point of actually saying how they should feel is absurd.

I'm happy for the players, and I'm personally glad they took UK on an amazing ride. But I'm also still stinging from Saturday's loss, and guess what - as a human, I get to feel both ways. I get to applaud their draft day name's being announced, and I also get to feel sad at the fact that they didn't cut the nets down - and I can feel that without accusation or judgment because as a human, I have that right.

So perhaps some of you can scale back on being condescending contrarians and consider holding back on assuming you know how people feel, in all their myriad of thoughts and emotions. All of us are infinitely complex biological entities, with a flurry of emotions and perspectives running in simultaneous congruence. The result of this is often times going to be a scattered narrative with mixed rationale. And you know what - that's perfectly fine.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:25 AM by Son_Of_Saul

I can still feel happy for the 7 that are leaving and still feel a little disgust over not winning the championship as a fan and having one of the toughest losses in my memory. It's a bittersweet day, just like in 2012. I look at this season as what a great season that didn't end the way I thought it should have.

Bad decisions by about four of them.

Guess they're gonna find out on draft day.

Originally posted by ala_kat2:
Cal celebrates the players going pro so that the best future one and Dones will sign with him. (Notice, I didn't say sign with Kentucky). Cal has made UK basketball all about him and how many he can send to the NBA.
I understand the logic behind what he's doing, but I wish he was more about our BB program and less about the NBA.
To paraphrase Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank, "Once you leave for the NBA, you're dead to me"!
Great point. We should replace Cal with Tom Crean.

Originally posted by JFCats22:

Originally posted by TNCatfanforever:
Kind of a rough week to be a UK fan....dang
Uh...No....final four.....our guys going to NBA....More great players coming...UK in the headlines...could not be a better time....

If it is bad for you then you must be a Louisville fan or a "TROLL"
If losing in the Final Four, missing out on 40-0, watching Duke win another title, and 7 guys leaving the team doesn't count as "kind of a rough week" I'm not sure what would.

I love how everything not 2000% pro-Cal or UK is considered being a troll around here. No wonder other fans think we are complete idiots.
Uh - what? Have you ever heard once heard a commentator say that BBN is known as being crazy because they're just too positive?

No. The people who think UK fans are complete idiots always refer to the ingrateful, no perspective having insane-os who think that a Final Four is a disappointment. That is the stereotype that everyone harps on - "they want a title every year", "they question your job if you only win the final four", "they drive out HOF coaches", etc.

YOU are the fan from the narrative. YOU are why they make fun of BBN.

Originally posted by USMC Cat:
Bad decisions by about four of them.

Guess they're gonna find out on draft day.
remember when Jodie Meeks made a bad decision. he only made 457k and 762K in his first two years. now look at the guy.

bet he wishes he did it differently.

true colors being shown today.

Originally posted by ia.ukfan:
I'm blatantly confused.

For myself its been a GREAT unbelievable 6 years of being a UK fan. It was GREAT year to be a fan, had a ton of fun. Love the kids, love Cal, lots to love. BUT, it has not been a great week. Its been a shit week. It was painful to lose on saturday. I was at the game and will NEVER forget that experience, especially the last 5 minutes. They replay in my head over and over again and I pull at my hair and think how, how did that happen, we had it and we let it slip through our fingers. And now no one is coming back that was a maybe?

For myself I would say that would classify as being a tough week for my UK fanship. Again, amazing run we've had with cal and more success to come. But to get angry about others calling it tough is delusional and asinine.

I really prefer to be objective and straight with myself.
Ding Ding Ding

It has been a rough week. No other way about it. I don't know why people freaked out when someone said it's been a rough week....not rough ride...rough week. Plain and simple, this week has sucked. I wish all 7 of them the best of luck in their professional basketball pursuits, and have no problem with their personal decisions, but as a fan, I would have loved for a few of them to come back.

I guess it's mod spring break somewhere. One is a comically obvious UL troll and the other is a Vols fan who has been allowed for days to taunt posters--and they're both still here. I'm not saying we need to be like the UNC board and indiscriminately ban people, but good grief. A full trash bag is sitting right in the kitchen floor . . .

Originally posted by CatFanInIlliniLand:
Originally posted by Ugoff:

Kind of a rough week to be a UK fan....dang
Nope.
Apparently, you weren't here from 1999-2009. If this is Rough, keep it coming. I like being roughed up.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Maybe we're just finding out now that BBN is full of masochists.

I'm all about it. Here's to hoping it gets even rougher.

Originally posted by bthaunert:
Originally posted by ia.ukfan:
I'm blatantly confused.

For myself its been a GREAT unbelievable 6 years of being a UK fan. It was GREAT year to be a fan, had a ton of fun. Love the kids, love Cal, lots to love. BUT, it has not been a great week. Its been a shit week. It was painful to lose on saturday. I was at the game and will NEVER forget that experience, especially the last 5 minutes. They replay in my head over and over again and I pull at my hair and think how, how did that happen, we had it and we let it slip through our fingers. And now no one is coming back that was a maybe?

For myself I would say that would classify as being a tough week for my UK fanship. Again, amazing run we've had with cal and more success to come. But to get angry about others calling it tough is delusional and asinine.

I really prefer to be objective and straight with myself.
Ding Ding Ding

It has been a rough week. No other way about it. I don't know why people freaked out when someone said it's been a rough week....not rough ride...rough week. Plain and simple, this week has sucked. I wish all 7 of them the best of luck in their professional basketball pursuits, and have no problem with their personal decisions, but as a fan, I would have loved for a few of them to come back.
You two =/= the known 60 post Louisville troll who is just here this week to stir up dissent. We're slamming him for a very particular reason.

I have no problem with the way you guys phrased it. Your intent and tone is vastly different than from the trolls and from the couple of chicken littles we have on this board who want wholesale, big time changes from Cal.

Like most of us I'm truly happy for those young men though I to doubt all their names will be called. At least not until deep in the 2nd round. Still, it was their dream, and why they came and gave us a great ride these last two years. I just wished for them, and for us it had ended better.

No matter who else we sign I definitely see a decline next year. I think we'll be good enough to get one of the 68 bids, but not enough to have any real shot at winning it.

A tough 5 days indeed for UK basketball fans.

Cal celebrates the players going pro so that the best future one and Dones will sign with him. (Notice, I didn't say sign with Kentucky). Cal has made UK basketball all about him and how many he can send to the NBA.
I understand the logic behind what he's doing, but I wish he was more about our BB program and less about the NBA.
To paraphrase Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank, "Once you leave for the NBA, you're dead to me"!
By caring about the NBA and the kids, it's bringing success to our BB program.

Originally posted by Kentuckiddy:
Adios. Don't let the door.... Well you know the rest.
what more would you like from these kids. is a final four and a runner up banner not enough for you? you got what you wanted didn't you? can they get what they want now or is it still about you?

no big deal---cal's loading up the roster with more superstars, including the #1 pick in next year's draft! The cats will be back in the final 4 next year --- book it!

Exactly. The purpose of college is to prepare for next level in life. It should be mandatory to stay 3 years, leaving early should demand repayment of scholarship.

I could care less what these guys do when they leave school, whether it's the NBA or what. I don't follow any pro sports.

I care about KENTUCKY.

Not the NBA, millions of dollars, pressers, contracts, vettes, etc, etc.

It's my choice. Not yours. You're opinion is no better than mine

I CARE ABOUT KENTUCKY. THATS IT!

When a kid goes to college, they do so in order to best prepare themselves for what is ahead of them. Every year, companies hire people who haven't finished their degree, because they pushed themselves as hard as possible. It is no different with athletes, and frankly I'd imagine worse for them. Athletes in college generate millions of dollars for their university. The people who run the NCAA get paid millions. It's completely ridiculous to think that what these kids doing isn't a good thing.

If you want to be a lawyer, you go to the best law school you possibly can. That is why people flock to UK to play basketball: we've shown we're able to put a ridiculous amount of them into their desired profession. Why is that bad for us as fans or as a program? What we have right now is the equivalent of Yale's Law School. It's simply the best place to get the 'education' you require for the field you wish to enter.

This makes our PROGRAM and our SCHOOL a destination to aspiring basketball players everywhere. That is why Cal loves Draft Entry, because it further proves that point. Any other school have 7 players going pro? Has anyone ever? This is recruiting fuel. And while we serve as the best university to go to if you wish to be a NBA basketball player, we get to do a hell of a lot of winning in the process and have a ton of fun. Put yourselves in their shoes and then tell me how sad you'd be about the prospect of completely changing your own as well as your family's life.

I care about KENTUCKY.

And you're welcome to it. My opinion is that you're acting like an ass.

And it's "your opinion", not "you're opinion". That's not a matter of opinion.

I care about KENTUCKY.

so why arent you happy? you are getting what you want....banners...its all you care about. you don't care about the players at all....like you said you care only about Kentucky.....so who the players are and what they do don't matter....its just about Kentucky.

Im not going to get into any more pissing matches about the topics above. This board has issues with finding middle ground. If you find middle ground, you'll be told you are "contradicting yourself". So its either way to one side of the fence, or way way down to the other side. So to hell with it.

But I will say about this post, that even if you are someone who has issues with Cals philosophy, whats the down side? Tons of wins, final fours, possible championships, and a list a mile long of former cats in the NBA? That matters, kids growing up watching tons of UK players playing in the league matters. Lots of future recruits are growing up UK fans, and some of it is due in large part to Cal's methods. And before someone does it, I'm not saying when we have a new coach it will somehow be the most important aspect. Of course it won't hold as much weight. But Kids put teams on their "open to" list EVERY year because they grew up loving the team. People that think programs hold no weight in recruiting are blind. Plenty of examples to point to in past years.

I'm Ok nowadays if Cal isn't someones favorite coach and they are a UK fan. His methods aren't for everyone, and some people have their own view on how they'd like a roster built. But seeing as how he's not going to be here 20 years, why not just enjoy the positives that he brings. And there's plenty of that. Me personally, I love the fact that UK is now where the pros want to play. Don't let UNC fool you, they've used that as a recruiting pitch for years, and they didn't see it as slimy until Cal and UK were beating them at their own game.

Lots to like even if you don't prefer.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

As fans, and humans, we are allowed an assortment of feelings. A parent is happy for a child going to college, but sad that the house will lose the noise and the joy that was characterized by that same child. See how it works? It's pragmatic happiness because it benefits one individual at the expense of a personal desire of another. To take the narrow party line like a good little Stepford Wife and do what we're told - which for some of you apparently means abandoning emotions altogether for the sake of the downstream current - is not something that any of us have to do. The fact that some of you would condescend others to the point of actually saying how they should feel is absurd.

I'm happy for the players, and I'm personally glad they took UK on an amazing ride. But I'm also still stinging from Saturday's loss, and guess what - as a human, I get to feel both ways. I get to applaud their draft day name's being announced, and I also get to feel sad at the fact that they didn't cut the nets down - and I can feel that without accusation or judgment because as a human, I have that right.

So perhaps some of you can scale back on being condescending contrarians and consider holding back on assuming you know how people feel, in all their myriad of thoughts and emotions. All of us are infinitely complex biological entities, with a flurry of emotions and perspectives running in simultaneous congruence. The result of this is often times going to be a scattered narrative with mixed rationale. And you know what - that's perfectly fine.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:25 AM by Son_Of_Saul
Thank you for this post. Its the truth. Theres no reason why someone can't be disappointed with the outcome of the final four, especially when some think everything ended by being managed poorly. You can believe the season was great and not be happy with the outcome. You can love Cal and be supportive while expressing an opinion on his system in general.

Some of these posters should look up the golden mean, and try to apply it to everyday life.

I care about KENTUCKY.

So you'd rather have the Tubby days correct?

Tha is crazy, to have that many guys go. Crazy to have that much talent, and crazy to have to rebuild to such an unprecedented degree.

Whole lotta butthurt and irrational in this thread.

Wish the kids well and move on.

This program isn't about pleasing some random fans on the interwebz.

I care about KENTUCKY.

I am going to have to disagree. Just about everyone else's opinion in this thread is better than yours. With the exception of the annoying little girl from Knoxville running around here.

Originally posted by 3rex:
JFCats I understand what you're saying.

You have to realize that those who worship at the alter of Cal have no use for anyone like yourself who may be a little down about the loss, or that half our team is leaving today.
To them, it's all about Cal. So no negativity please.
Yes, and we know for sure that you're a troll.....

ADVERTISEMENT