ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Storr

Would you rather have Omoruyi or a Sophomore Big Z?

Not sure on my end at the moment- Z's upside is so enticing with his ability to shoot it, etc., but Omoruyi is the more proven product.
Very tough scenario because Z’s upside is great but idk if he will ever be extremely physical or handle it well. Omoruyi is physical and can rebound and protect the rim. I would lean slightly like 51/49 to omoruyi but it’s a tough choice

Not sure on my end at the moment- Z's upside is so enticing with his ability to shoot it, etc., but Omoruyi is the more proven product.
This is an intriguing question.

Might depend on who else returns.

You get Sheppard back, then you get the veteran post presence to go with the good passer and shooter.

You get Wagner back instead, then maybe you need Ivisic to give you another shooter because your PG isn’t a great shooter.

Or if you get a couple of wing shooters to go with Omoruyi, then he is the better get.

Or if the focus is on defense, then Omoruyi is the pick.

I’m loyal, so I’m going with Ivisic, because he is already a Cat.

It's nice in theory but it just wouldn't happen IMO.

Z isn't coming back another year to only get 20MPG, and Omoyuri isn't transferring to UK to split 20MPG either. Would love it, but just don't see it.
Only so many minutes to go around.

Keeping Ivisic, Quaintance, and Cyril happy at the 5 won’t be easy.

I think Quaintance is mobile enough to get minutes at the 4 to help, but if Thiero and Burks are back, there’s a logjam there as well. Both of those guys are best at the 4.

It’s shaping up to look like our biggest portal need is a wing shooter/scorer or two.

Reactions: BluesDaddy

Z isn't coming back another year to only get 20MPG, and Omoyuri isn't transferring to UK to split 20MPG either. Would love it, but just don't see it.
Agree, it’d definitely be great but more than likely won’t happen

If we had a different coach, I would go with Z. But we saw what happened with him after his big game against Georgia. He wasn't allowed to shoot like that again. Cal tried to plant his ass in the paint.

So, since the clown is back for another year, give me Omoruyi because he is a traditional low post big man that Cal has a hard on for.

The more I think about the more I get the feeling adou won’t come back. If he truly wants to be “a guy” and get more touches I can definitely see him going somewhere else which is what I think has a good chance of happening. Looking at his list there at a couple of school I could telling him that he will be the guy and can get a higher usage rate

This is an intriguing question.

Might depend on who else returns.

You get Sheppard back, then you get the veteran post presence to go with the good passer and shooter.

You get Wagner back instead, then maybe you need Ivisic to give you another shooter because your PG isn’t a great shooter.

Or if you get a couple of wing shooters to go with Omoruyi, then he is the better get.

Or if the focus is on defense, then Omoruyi is the pick.

I’m loyal, so I’m going with Ivisic, because he is already a Cat.
It's close. But I might take the upside with Z.
When we need physical play, then bring in the 2 big FR. Last year we had zero options when it got too physical.
Richards wasn't physical but was good as a JR, WCS wasn't too physical, Noel wasn't too physical, AD wasn't physical.

The more I think about the more I get the feeling adou won’t come back. If he truly wants to be “a guy” and get more touches I can definitely see him going somewhere else which is what I think has a good chance of happening. Looking at his list there at a couple of school I could telling him that he will be the guy and can get a higher usage rate
I think he wants to get a NIL deal more than to "be the guy". But I could be wrong.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Only so many minutes to go around.

Keeping Ivisic, Quaintance, and Cyril happy at the 5 won’t be easy.

I think Quaintance is mobile enough to get minutes at the 4 to help, but if Thiero and Burks are back, there’s a logjam there as well. Both of those guys are best at the 4.

It’s shaping up to look like our biggest portal need is a wing shooter/scorer or two.
I don't expect Cyril to play much (unless we don't return a 7-footer AND don't add a 5/C).

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I don't expect Cyril to play much (unless we don't return a 7-footer AND don't add a 5/C).

Somto is a sub25 recruit. I know some people think he's on the rise, but he's just not a guy you force 20mpg to unless he really shows out.

He's a guy who really needs to understand that he's likely more of a 2nd year guy, especially with the front court talent and experience we might have ahead of him. If he doesn't like that, then, well.. might need to think about going elsewhere.

I want BigZ 1st and foremost... JQ a close 2nd... Bradshaw 3rd and Ugo just right behind him at 4th.. Somto is 5th for me.

Reactions: phunterd

wouldn't be a problem if UK had a coach
play zone & let Z play the forward position since he can shoot the ball and make good passes
unfortunately ccc, has no idea about a zone & never will

if that is what he wants, so be it
stop begging these kids that think they hung the sun, but can't chew gum & walk at the same time
they all think that they are the next Garnett, or Kobe, when in reality they could even carry those guys gym bag

Thiero's camp is delusional. From the $ they demand to the role they see Adou playing. Cal's done a lot of dumb stuff at Kentucky recently but this isn't on him. He took the guy when many mocked him for taking an ex-player's kid. He played him, increased his role and guy was starting before he decided that he had to be 150% healthy and rumor was Dad didn't think Adou was getting enough opportunities off the court so the injury "lingered".

If you are truly going to improve anything-guys like this need to be given 0 option to return. You just recruit over them. Doesn't mean Adou isn't talented or that he won't be great elsewhere, but your program invested in him, did nothing wrong by him and they think he's a franchise type of player. Go be that then. Good luck and Goodbye.

Thiero's camp is delusional. From the $ they demand to the role they see Adou playing. Cal's done a lot of dumb stuff at Kentucky recently but this isn't on him. He took the guy when many mocked him for taking an ex-player's kid. He played him, increased his role and guy was starting before he decided that he had to be 150% healthy and rumor was Dad didn't think Adou was getting enough opportunities off the court so the injury "lingered".

If you are truly going to improve anything-guys like this need to be given 0 option to return. You just recruit over them. Doesn't mean Adou isn't talented or that he won't be great elsewhere, but your program invested in him, did nothing wrong by him and they think he's a franchise type of player. Go be that then. Good luck and Goodbye.
I really want Adou back, but it makes sense his dad may be the ringleader in all this. Can’t allow a player and his “camp” to do all that. His production can definitely be replaced. Sucks that’s what’s going on

If you had two options which one of these would you choose?

Dj and Edwards return or two experienced guards from the portal

Louisville is doing more than Kentucky is. They are trying to get better, while our coach(off past examples) will wait until draft decisions are made and let a lot of the good portal guys go elsewhere

Louisville is doing more than Kentucky is. They are trying to get better, while our coach(off past examples) will wait until draft decisions are made and let a lot of the good portal guys go elsewhere
WTH Cal. Even if Reed returns and Wagner returns (I don't think both do since both want to be PGs), we still need to replace Reeves. You know, the team's leading scorer and AA-candidate. So we should be 100% "all-in" on getting Johnell Davis to Lexington!!!

WTH Cal. Even if Reed returns and Wagner returns (I don't think both do since both want to be PGs), we still need to replace Reeves. You know, the team's leading scorer and AA-candidate. So we should be 100% "all-in" on getting Johnell Davis to Lexington!!!
Agree 1000 percent, but I think by now we can confidently say cal isn’t gonna go after anybody until these guys tell him his draft decisions, which is bullshit

2 portal guys
I don't know. They'd have to be special transfer players for me to take them over a 2nd year DJ and Edwards. Very special. And I think those two have more to gain by staying than maybe anyone else on the current roster. Both have ceilings that are pretty phenomenal compared to most(any) current portal options. What sophmores would you take over those two? Maybe, just maybe, one of them for the RIGHT heady and very good PG or wing but they better be special, imho. Ya'll want experience...well, our current players have more than you're likely gonna get at their skill and talent levels from the portal.

Patience.

He has a strategy.

Wait until summer and hope another coach gets drunk and does something stupid and a good player drops in our laps. It worked perfectly last year. LOL!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist!

Reactions: G-PIP and ukfan041
I don't know. They'd have to be special transfer players for me to take them over a 2nd year DJ and Edwards. Very special. And I think those two have more to gain by staying than maybe anyone else on the current roster. Both have ceilings that are pretty phenomenal compared to most(any) current portal options. What sophmores would you take over those two? Maybe, just maybe, one of them for the RIGHT heady and very good PG or wing but they better be special, imho. Ya'll want experience...well, our current players have more than you're likely gonna get at their skill and talent levels from the portal.
It’s close, but looking at the portal there are so many better options in the portal

I’m taking Wagner and Edwards if they want to come back.

I just want our guys back, as many as will stay with us. I don’t think Cal can build a winning team with the portal. He needs his guys back.

Best case scenario is Sheppard, Wagner, Edwards, Thiero, Ivisic, and Burks back paired with the six Freshmen. That’s our best bet at a deep run.

But Sheppard probably won’t be back, so give me the rest.

Add one portal player (a wing shooter) and let’s roll!

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT