ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Reed...Interesting?

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
AJ picked up by CWS and assigned to AAA club...don't know how much this helps his quest to making the Bigs unless it's as a DH . Their 1st baseman(Abreu) is hitting .278 with 21 hrs so he probably isn't going to win that position. Don't know much about their backup 1st baseman or DH position. They dont have a lot of power in the lineup.

They will probably shop Abreu for the second half...and then hope to resign him next year(or hope someone like Reed can be a cheaper option)

At least that's the word I have seen online.

Reactions: RogerIndy
This has apparently changed in the last hour or so and he is apparently getting called up to the big leagues for CWS and will be available for the first series after the All Star break. This according to a tweet shared by UKbaseball twitter.

Hopefully he gets a bunch of ABs...some (most) guys need it (see the HR Derby most hyped player for evidence)

The roster is set up for him to get ABs...the guys he is competing against to keep that roster spot are a backup C batting .045 (Collins), reserve OF batting .022 (Palka), backup 1B batting .178 (Y Alonso)...W Castillo will come back from IL at some point which will hurt but Reed will have a chance.

The roster is set up for him to get ABs...the guys he is competing against to keep that roster spot are a backup C batting .045 (Collins), reserve OF batting .022 (Palka), backup 1B batting .178 (Y Alonso)...W Castillo will come back from IL at some point which will hurt but Reed will have a chance.
AJ needs to get a PT and get in much better shape. No way he should be playing at his listed 275#. I know striking out is common amongst power hitters, but his is a little on the concern side. For 2/3 years he was maybe the best PH in all of AAA leading the entire AAA in HR & RBIS. Sure wish the former best player in CBB the best. Really thought he would be a high profile player in the bigs by now

AJ needs to get a PT and get in much better shape. No way he should be playing at his listed 275#. I know striking out is common amongst power hitters, but his is a little on the concern side. For 2/3 years he was maybe the best PH in all of AAA leading the entire AAA in HR & RBIS. Sure wish the former best player in CBB the best. Really thought he would be a high profile player in the bigs by now
I don't think he looks too bad for what the Astros wanted him to be. Just looks like the pro sized version of the college Reed.

Video below is from this May:

I don't think he looks too bad for what the Astros wanted him to be. Just looks like the pro sized version of the college Reed.

Video below is from this May:

Can't watch the video at work, but some pictures of him that I have seen just make it look like it isn't good weight. Of course, some people just carry their weight differently and he could be perfectly fine, but I would think kind of slimming out and putting on more muscle would be better for him overall.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
He's a big boy no doubt...he could benefit from a Matt Adams transformation...but he can be successful at his current weight as well. In his defensive pictures I have seen some unflattering ones for sure because of the positions you have to get in...when you look at hitting pics, he looks pretty decent for a big slugger tbh.

He's a big boy no doubt...he could benefit from a Matt Adams transformation...but he can be successful at his current weight as well. In his defensive pictures I have seen some unflattering ones for sure because of the positions you have to get in...when you look at hitting pics, he looks pretty decent for a big slugger tbh.

He doesn't look too bad in those and baseball you can kind of play big and not be hurt too badly. We know that given that Ruth is the, or one of, the greatest ever. Still, I think it is better to have the good weight. Maybe he is there and the pictures are often just deceiving, or even older pictures. Regardless, we all hope he is successful in Chicago.

He doesn't look too bad in those and baseball you can kind of play big and not be hurt too badly. We know that given that Ruth is the, or one of, the greatest ever. Still, I think it is better to have the good weight. Maybe he is there and the pictures are often just deceiving, or even older pictures. Regardless, we all hope he is successful in Chicago.
Should be 240 tops!

Reactions: Tannerdad
It is less clear now. I think he is going to Charlotte, but I am not sure. He is on the 40 man roster, but not the 25 man roster.

So, supposedly the CWS moved a pitcher to the DL to make room on the active roster for Reed. So, if they didn't move Reed to the active roster, who did they move?

MLB.com shows the WS active roster with 24 players...13 P, 2 C, 4 INF, 5 OF

An INF would look to be the normal addition to complete the 25 man.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Man I hope he runs into something tonight if he is in the lineup...just a little confidence and luck can make all the difference...don't want to start with an 0fer and then have the pressure build up on him.

MLB.com shows the WS active roster with 24 players...13 P, 2 C, 4 INF, 5 OF

An INF would look to be the normal addition to complete the 25 man.
I think that just changed today. This morning it showed him as a reserve. GREAT NEWS! Not only will he get a chance, but he is a lot closer to his hometown of Terre Haute, IN, so his friends and family can come out and support him.

1/4 last night... flied out to Centerfield twice and to right field and singled in the ninth. Good night for the first game with the Sox especially the fact that he did not strike out

Reactions: RogerIndy
Man I hope he runs into something tonight if he is in the lineup...just a little confidence and luck can make all the difference...don't want to start with an 0fer and then have the pressure build up on him.
1/4 last and no ks...0/1 so far today with 1k and a walk. Barely missed a double down the LF line. They are getting killed 11-0 b4th. Batting 4th and playing 1st.

1/4 last and no ks...0/1 so far today with 1k and a walk. Barely missed a double down the LF line. They are getting killed 11-0 b4th. Batting 4th and playing 1st.
I was watching Saturday's game. Hopefully, they will give him a chance to get used to big league pitching, with the Sox record, they can afford to do so more that the Astros could have. I doubt if AJ will ever be a superstar, but hopefully he will catch on a have a good run in the Majors.

Terrible evening for him so far - 3ks...huge hole in his swing, couldn’t hit a back foot slider if his life depended on it. Looks totally overmatched against a mediocre right handed pitcher.

Even pinch hit for him:baseball::thumbsdown::(
Royals brought in a big filthy lefty, so the pinch hit was probable even if Reed had performed...but he looked pretty bad (physically he looks fine).

I will say this - 5 other white Sox were 0-3 a the time I checked, so Reed wasn't the only one...but he was bad.

Royals brought in a big filthy lefty, so the pinch hit was probable even if Reed had performed...but he looked pretty bad (physically he looks fine).

I will say this - 5 other white Sox were 0-3 a the time I checked, so Reed wasn't the only one...but he was bad.
Jay had half their hits.

Happens to the best, but big moment for AJ
Yep - he just needs to keep chipping away and show he’s worth getting the AB experience. Not uncommon to throw a couple hundred big league ABs at someone to see what they’ve got.

Not in the lineup for the second day in a row...looks like he will get no time verses lefties.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT