ADVERTISEMENT

Adou Thiero

All of this is so weird. It seems none of the last season's players were comfortable being at Kentucky. Z who seemingly was screwed over by Cal transfers to be with Cal? Does he really need someone to tell him to "go" or "fight." I can only conclude that Cal made the program so much about himself that the players never developed any affinity for the program they were part of or were in such a vacuum they never had a real perception of everything else.

I would love to see Pope get some players who actually enjoy being part of the BBN experience.

The kid was looking for a different spot as soon as the Cats were ousted from the Tourney. No way he is seriously looking at Arky.

Maybe that info wasn't correct. Because I'm not sure why Akransas would even make his top100 list if that info was true.

My uncles brothers sisters husband told me it was Pitt.

Which I’m fine with, I want a complete separation from Calipari. Coach O and Burks can go ahead and get on a plane out of Lexington too.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
Love that guy. Wore my Thiero jersey this season more than any other UK gear. But I really don't see him in Pope's offense.

Not sure how he would fit but would love to have him back.

I would think he could still fit at the 4... his outside shot improved a ton to the point that he is at least a decent 3pt shooter now @ 32%

All of this is so weird. It seems none of the last season's players were comfortable being at Kentucky. Z who seemingly was screwed over by Cal transfers to be with Cal? Does he really need someone to tell him to "go" or "fight." I can only conclude that Cal made the program so much about himself that the players never developed any affinity for the program they were part of or were in such a vacuum they never had a real perception of everything else.

I would love to see Pope get some players who actually enjoy being part of the BBN experience.
What is says is you can't believe everything people on here post. The players looked very comfortable to be at UK to me. They where a very excited, cheering each other on group of guys that looked like they was having fun balling. I think the "Cal did Z wrong" MAY be a bit of sour grapes. We do not know everything that happened. IF he had done him wrong, he wouldn't be following him. I am glad we moved on from Cal, it was time, but all of these Cal shit on players is just talk. Everything seems to contradict that, they still fully support, and some even will follow him. Cal is gone, let all the bad mouthing go, it does zero good to keep the fire going, it makes fans look like a scorned lover. Today is a day for positive vibes and rejoice, a new era has begun.

Last edited:
Would love to have him if he can fit the offense. Not gonna find a lot of energy and toughness like that.
Probably the two best characteristics of a player that DOES fit Pope's system. It was definitely like that with Pitino. Thiero is a beast, condition wise. We need those types early, as in now. Conditioning time began before the door hit Cal in the arse for a system like I think we are gonna see next year. It's a huge part of his system. We will wear teams down with conditioning and hopefully...depth. Just days into the Pope tenure so he's got time to bring in players.
Pitino often brought players in, in waves. Platooning was NOT a Cal thing. In fact, he only did it a little bit throughout his time here. This year, he did a fair bit but was it the 2015 year he did it a lot? IDR now but if the depth is there, I think Pope will make it almost SOP or MO.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Platooning was NOT a Cal thing. In fact, he only did it a little bit throughout his time here. This year, he did a fair bit but was it the 2015 year he did it a lot? IDR now but if the depth is there, I think Pope will make it almost SOP or MO.
It was indeed the 2015 year when that genius tried platooning, won every game he played platooning, never lost a game platooning, suddenly stopped platooning, and then suddenly announced he would never again try platooning no matter what. Wait I may have spelled head case wrong....

I remember late in the season Adou stated that UK just needed to play for the name on the front of the jersey and they would be all right. I really would like to see him come back but it seems he is “chasing the $$.” Ellen’s roommate badly misused him for 5* Edwards so he would not hurt his heart. Yet, Arky is on Adou’s list - must like Jerry Jones’ money more than the name on the front. College is now NBA-lite!
surprised at the hogs being on the list. Cal didnt do him any favors at UK

I don’t think it’s a case of them being uncomfortable at UK but more of a case of not liking the coach hire. If Drew/hurley/Oates/Pearl/Beard would have taken the job then a couple of these guys would have stayed.

Mark Pope means something to UK fans but he means absolutely nothing to players. Guarantee they had no idea who he even was. All made possible by the genius of Barnhart.

I remember late in the season Adou stated that UK just needed to play for the name on the front of the jersey and they would be all right. I really would like to see him come back but it seems he is “chasing the $$.” Ellen’s roommate badly misused him for 5* Edwards so he would not hurt his heart. Yet, Arky is on Adou’s list - must like Jerry Jones’ money more than the name on the front. College is now NBA-lite!

You can get money and still play for the name on the front.

No player UK signs is coming here to play for free.

Reactions: d2atTech
Really want him back. Keep hearing Pope runs 5 out motion offense? Thiero would fit well imo...experienced, dynamic player.

But Arkansas on the list. Cal is still pulling strings and wouldn't surprise me if he goes.

I can certainly imagine a scenario where Arky is on the list just to keep from hurting Cal's feelings. Not saying that's the case here but if you put yourself in his shoes for a minute, I think it's easily a possibility...fwiw. Again, not saying that's the case. We just don't know but it would be plausible either way. Another scenario is keep him on the list in case other top choices fall through for any number of reasons. Just spit balling here so don't take it as more than that but it makes more sense than a lot of things we read on here. Lol!

Reactions: Jack2936
I don’t think it’s a case of them being uncomfortable at UK but more of a case of not liking the coach hire. If Drew/hurley/Oates/Pearl/Beard would have taken the job then a couple of these guys would have stayed.

Mark Pope means something to UK fans but he means absolutely nothing to players. Guarantee they had no idea who he even was. All made possible by the genius of Barnhart.
Lmao how old are you?!

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand

Yes. There is no world in which Z or Thiero will benefit from another year under Cal. And both were underutilized. Given the roster we had, both guys should have played 28-32 minutes, and Thiero will see those minutes at UNC or Pitt.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yes. There is no world in which Z or Thiero will benefit from another year under Cal. And both were underutilized. Given the roster we had, both guys should have played 28-32 minutes, and Thiero will see those minutes at UNC or Pitt.
And I think Thiero will see those minutes at U.K., if he comes back and joins Coach Pope and the 'Cats.

What is says is you can't believe everything people on here post. The players looked very comfortable to be at UK to me. They where a very excited, cheering each other on group of guys that looked like they was having fun balling. I think the "Cal did Z wrong" MAY be a bit of sour grapes. We do not know everything that happened. IF he had done him wrong, he wouldn't be following him. I am glad we moved on from Cal, it was time, but all of these Cal shit on players is just talk. Everything seems to contradict that, they still fully support, and some even will follow him. Cal is gone, let all the bad mouthing go, it does zero good to keep the fire going, it makes fans look like a scorned lover. Today is a day for positive vibes and rejoice, a new era has begun.

Agree 100%. This board never seems to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Down to 5 schools
Pittsburgh
North Carolina
Indiana
Arkansas
Kentucky
Man I'd be pretty surprised if he goes somewhere other than Pitt, just seems like the playing time is there, some "local kid NIL" money will flow in for sure. Just seems like a good spot for him

But depending on the pitch, it'll be tough to turn away UNC too

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT