ADVERTISEMENT

One of Our Own

Nope. And for the most part, we never have. A few exceptions here and there.

Reactions: KFuqua
Well, lets also be fair. Since Joe B Hall, every other prominent UK coach ended on BAD terms.

Pitino
Tubby
Calipari

It's not like any of those three (or those who worked for or were loyal to them) were taking over.

Reactions: Dirt Court King
Why restrict yourself in that way. Certainly you shouldn't rule-out "staying within the family", maybe you even make that a tie-breaker or a slight bump up. But to limit yourself is stupid, and more often than not doesn't work out. Recall UNC did that before with Doherty.

The reason UNC and Duke did it:

The replacement was on the staff for a hall of fame coach. The hall of fame coach groomed the replacement. They retired and endorsed them as the right guy.

We DON'T have that. It's not the same situation. Cal doesn't get a say because he's leaving. And he didn't groom a replacement.

Tyler Ulis was probably the most likely if we were going to go that route, but Cal left before he could finish a degree, so he’s not eligible for the promotion.

Is Mark Pope that bad of a hire? He sure had BYU ready to compete in pretty good B12. They were clearly punching up in that conference and BYU has no right even being able compete in the B12. That's pretty impressive to me.

And you want to talk about the resources UK can offer? Look no further than the comparison to BYU, where you're stuck with a team full of Mormons lol.

To hire from within would mean Travis Ford, Mark Pope, or John Pelfrey. Would you be happy with either of those guys? You might go with Frank Vogel, but that would be total crap shoot. He might be great, he might be mediocre, or he could totally suck. The odds are about equal for any of the 3 happening since he doesn't have a college coaching resume to judge him by. Hiring Billy Donovan (former UK assistant) is about as close to keeping the hire within the family as I want to get.

Is Mark Pope that bad of a hire? He sure had BYU ready to compete in pretty good B12. They were clearly punching up in that conference and BYU has no right even being able compete in the B12. That's pretty impressive to me.

And you want to talk about the resources UK can offer? Look no further than the comparison to BYU, where you're stuck with a team full of Mormons lol.

I'd love to have him and get the old school, hard nosed guys back in the building. It would take some time, and I'd patiently wait. Some want that title right this second for various reasons (age, have to have everything now, etc. ) but I'll personally be excited and refreshed if he ends up being the hire.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT