ADVERTISEMENT

Adou Thiero

wasn't he the one people nhought Cal only offered because of his connections to his dad playing for CAL?
Yes, but to be fair it came out of nowhere (his recruitment) and things really moved favorable for him when Cal/Antigua went to his State Tournament game(s). UK offered and then other offers came, and can only speak for myself but I only saw highlight clips and I liked what I saw but they made a really smart decision pushing for this kid. Really a lot of credit to his parents too. They both played big time basketball, and having played for Cal, Adou's dad knew what was being told was the truth. Just a really great situation for both.

Yes, but to be fair it came out of nowhere (his recruitment) and things really moved favorable for him when Cal/Antigua went to his State Tournament game(s). UK offered and then other offers came, and can only speak for myself but I only saw highlight clips and I liked what I saw but they made a really smart decision pushing for this kid. Really a lot of credit to his parents too. They both played big time basketball, and having played for Cal, Adou's dad knew what was being told was the truth. Just a really great situation for both.
I was just saying we got lucky with this kid seems like a ball of energy and the growth spurt did"t hurt

Reactions: Fox2monk
So how big has his growth spurt been and how quick? I’d love to have that information but haven’t really heard official numbers on that. That kind of stuff is always interesting.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Cal needs to play everybody. The 2015 team was unbeatable until he chucked the platoons and went to a small rotation.
I agree. In 2015 our best 5 was very good, but not significantly better that the other top teams. But our 2nd 5, before the Poythress injury, was infinitely better than anyone else’s bench.

BUT

if we were to platoon, I would give the top 5 an extra shift, making it something like 24min vs 16min for the 2 groups, and Oscar (or anyone else who earns it) 1 more shift than that (so 28-32min).

Losing Poythress killed us. Play Lyles at the 3 killed us even more.

Should have been:

Towns
Lyles
Harrison
Harrison
Ulis
Ulis and Booker both should have started. The Harrison’s were way over rated. They weren’t bad. They just weren’t that great

I’m so happy we got him. He’s gonna be a good one.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I agree. In 2015 our best 5 was very good, but not significantly better that the other top teams. But our 2nd 5, before the Poythress injury, was infinitely better than anyone else’s bench.

BUT

if we were to platoon, I would give the top 5 an extra shift, making it something like 24min vs 16min for the 2 groups, and Oscar (or anyone else who earns it) 1 more shift than that (so 28-32min).
I agree Oscar deserves 28-32, probably Reeves/Toppin/Wallace/Collins/Livingston are the other A guys who can go from 24-28 MPG. Wheeler could be an A guy depending on Matchups as well.

I’m so happy we got him. He’s gonna be a good one.
Even today--he didn't have a good initial outing in First Half but then when he got his chance in 2nd Half--offensive rebound, assist, and loved his defense and hustle/got on the floor and got to the loose balls that they weren't during course of game that was something they'd done all trip.

I'm excited for how he'll move once he's adjusted to body/done growing. Moves like a kid who has growing pains and man do they get a special player if he gets to 6'9+. Scary what he could be with that size with his skill.

Even if not, he's going to be a damn good player.

Even today--he didn't have a good initial outing in First Half but then when he got his chance in 2nd Half--offensive rebound, assist, and loved his defense and hustle/got on the floor and got to the loose balls that they weren't during course of game that was something they'd done all trip.

I'm excited for how he'll move once he's adjusted to body/done growing. Moves like a kid who has growing pains and man do they get a special player if he gets to 6'9+. Scary what he could be with that size with his skill.

Even if not, he's going to be a damn good player.
He seems to always be in the right place. Shooting, passing, and steals. Just making plays.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I don't see how Cal trims the rotation to 7 this year...
Me either, there’s too much talent to be stingy with minutes. I’d love to play guys based on what we need and keeping everyone fresh. Knowing Cal he will try to get Wallace and Livingston the most minutes that he can before March though. We need them to be the best they can be and for recruiting. Always helps to show on a deep team that highly rated guys who deserve it get minutes.

Reactions: JC CATS
He seems to always be in the right place. Shooting, passing, and steals. Just making plays.
It's why every coach would love to get a guy who played PG most of his career and then have him grow to 6'6 or taller. They don't lose skill but gain the part you can't coach. He's comfortable and was good to see him getting beat up a bit and adjust. He did when he got back out there too. Was more physical and aggressive.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It's why every coach would love to get a guy who played PG most of his career and then have him grow to 6'6 or taller. They don't lose skill but gain the part you can't coach. He's comfortable and was good to see him getting beat up a bit and adjust. He did when he got back out there too. Was more physical and aggressive.
I know! He only got 7 minutes today but I was impressed with his second half.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I know! He only got 7 minutes today but I was impressed with his second half.
He's very comfortable with the ball which is where most FR need to adjust and the speed of the game gets them rattled. Now we're going to see it ramp up when they face elite teams in the sport, but he's also seeing very talented guys in practices and that is a big help as CJ Fredrick has repeatedly stated/pointed out in interviews.

One thing I love about his game--when he's going left and a teammate is open on the left--he uses his left hand to pass and a lot of right dominant players don't do that until they get to Pro Ball.

An area I know that I'm going to keep an eye on this year is player development/skill development. I've seen a few things that jump at me already but KT Turner is only going to add to that as he's very strong where Jai Lucas wasn't--and that was a surprise seeing his Dad/Brother are very strong in these aspects. One of the reasons I think Cal wasn't afraid to not raise salary/promote with title to keep Jai. Turner can coach all positions but you add him to Chin and Coach O and it's a staff that is very strong in the aspects of getting guys to work on things and improve. But Turner has a rep everywhere for this and is known for it.

from what I saw this week I wouldn't want to make those decisions
I would. I'd decide against even trying to unless play dictates it.

Nobody not named Oscar needs to being playing more than 30 and hopefully the other bigs are playing well enough to where we don't need him to either.

I'm closer to stretching to a deep rotation than forcing tough decisions between close players to be riding pine.

Depends on the person and really the AAU program you align with. I enjoy AAU basketball for the fact it allows you to evaluate how players stack up when facing against peers they'll be competing against in College. Also think the situation you are in as a player dictates what's best for your development. If you lack ball handling/shooting ability and are a perimeter player, you are better off spending a lot of time in the gym and working out. If you are injured, it's something I'd recommend no matter what level of college ball you think that you'll play. Not going to help if you are injured if you go out and miss every shot or look terrible against ball pressure because you can't use both hands (Adou had a wrist injury for example).

Each to their own but the benefit of big time AAU isn't in winning, it's in being seen in front of coaching staffs and competing against top competition. Thiero and Porter had advantage of their family knowing big time coaches, and having played, so that also needs to be taken into account. Then they followed up their off court development by having monster HS careers/leading team to deep runs which brought more attention to them/their game.
He reminds me of watching wade at Marquette. Watching , you just know he will be really good . He's bigger than Wade but that's who comes to mind

He might be hard to keep off the floor. Love his energy.
Love this quote and confidence from Thiero. He deserves some PT. None of this 'let him into the game with 40 seconds left when leading by 25.'
I think this article is FREE.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDcatfan13
Think the kid is definitely going to be a bigger contributer than most think. Maybe it's his build but he reminds me of Eric Manuel

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT