ADVERTISEMENT

According to On3

We are just going to have to grow accustom to seeing Arky listed next to us when battling for players. It is odd to see, but Cal was a good hire by them in terms of bringing their program some level of relevancy that had consistently long been missing (the deep NIL pockets that followed helped too). To me it adds to the excitement and helps keep the SEC strong. Should be plenty material to post about for seasons to come.

This would be huge for Pope. Beat out pitino and cal for a recruit early on.

I dont get how Cal can promise him the time UK can so I think it will come down to st John's vs UK.

Reactions: track42
Pitino lied?
Season 5 What GIF by The Office

He's also declared for the draft, so there's a chance he doesn't return to college at all. But if he does...

I think Kentucky gets him only if it's due to one of the new assistants being hired, which is basically a gov't secret at this point

Pitino and St. John's certainly a good possibility - I believe Roach is from the DC area, so a little bit more towards home.

I'd be surprised if Cal gets him, assuming Wagner, Richmond, and the rest are following Cal to Arkansas

Would love to have Roach. 43% from 3 last year, very solid point guard who can also score. 14 per game (I think he was Duke's 2nd leading scorer.)

Would gladly take Roach. Experienced, proven PG. Pope needs a leader on the floor and he would be one.

Interesting choices. Three schools that have been connected in the news recently. Smells like a Cal special but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Roach picks UK.
This. With the holding of hands and welcoming RP back etc of the StJohn and UK programs…. Feels like a scorned lover trying to get a little W for their ego and public perception. “Cal beats UK and Pitino for top recruit” energy

Would be fine with either Small or Fland if Roach goes to AR. Actually prefer one of those two over Roach because we need a top 1. Unless Shep comes back.

Why would you take a unproven, freshman Fland, over a 4 year, proven player at an elite school ? Just curious. Roach averaged 14 per game for Duke and shot 43% from 3. Solid running the team at the point. Fland, while talented, is also exactly what we are trying to get away from. Relying heavily on young freshman. Roach we know what we would get, 4 years of proven success at the highest level, with Fland, potential to be really good, but even if he lived up to his lofty ranking, wouldn't match what Roach has already accomplished, or will do next year. Roach was also a highly ranked recruit, higher than Fland.

Last edited:
Arkansas, St. Johns & Kentucky lead for Jeremy Roach from Duke.
Arkansas. It still blows my mind that these kids fall for Cal's BULLSH*T.

Man I am so glad he's gone. I wasn't sure how I'd feel at the time we heard he was probably leaving, but now that he's gone it's almost as if all of the crap we argued about for these last 4 years was right in front of our noses.

Actually makes me feel bad for the kids that buy his schtick. They don't get the full experience of WINNING in college because the whole thing with Cal is all about NBA riches. The school part is just an obstacle.

Reactions: KFuqua
He's also declared for the draft, so there's a chance he doesn't return to college at all. But if he does...

I think Kentucky gets him only if it's due to one of the new assistants being hired, which is basically a gov't secret at this point

Pitino and St. John's certainly a good possibility - I believe Roach is from the DC area, so a little bit more towards home.

I'd be surprised if Cal gets him, assuming Wagner, Richmond, and the rest are following Cal to Arkansas
Bolded part of your response could lead us to think Jai Lucas returning as bait....

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Cal will throw Chicken $$ at Roach and we will be playing against him next year...

Interesting choices. Three schools that have been connected in the news recently. Smells like a Cal special but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Roach picks UK.
Sounds more like Cal is trying to hoard players to keep other teams from getting them (namely UK) rather than build a team. He can't have the PG position stacked 4 deep with 5-stars. I mean he can, but what is he selling those kids to buy into sharing playing time 4 deep? There's only so much NIL to go around.

This would be huge for Pope. Beat out pitino and cal for a recruit early on.

I dont get how Cal can promise him the time UK can so I think it will come down to st John's vs UK.
Why do people keep saying this?. Arkansas hasn’t signed a single freshman or point guard yet. He’s very much in the running to be their starting PG.

Why would you take a unproven, freshman Fland, over a 4 year, proven player at an elite school ? Just curious. Roach averaged 14 per game for Duke and shot 43% from 3. Solid running the team at the point. Fland, while talented, is also exactly what we are trying to get away from. Relying heavily on young freshman. Roach we know what we would get, 4 years of proven success at the highest level, with Fland, potential to be really good, but even if he lived up to his lofty ranking, wouldn't match what Roach has already accomplished, or will do next year. Roach was also a highly ranked recruit, higher than Fland.
I am going by what I saw from him last season. Like he lost a little confidence. Maybe he would help us win a championship over the other two. I like Small's physicality and Fland's playmaking. If Roach played like he did his first three years he would be a big time steal. Do like his experience and long shooting for sure. Read he can play the 1 but more of a 2? If he comes I am all in because that means he is a Wildcat, wants to be here, can shoot the three, experienced and would be interesting seeing what he would do in a fast paced offense like this.

Roach lost his confidence ? he averaged 14 per game (2nd to only Flipkowski) and shot 43% from 3 ? That is NOT lost confidence. He did it on the biggest stage (Duke), Fland played against lesser talented high school kids (for the most part). Roach has increased production every year, and as the lead guard in very pressure situations, he averaged 3.3 assist to only 1.4 turnovers. A 2.35 to 1 assist to turnover ratio playing at Duke is a lot more reliable barometer for success than a kid coming out of high school, never played on the big stage. Give me proven over potential. Especially even if said potential will still likely not match the proven's track record. Do you really think Fland can come in and average better than 14 ppg on 43% 3Fg shooting and better than a 2.35 assist / turnover ratio ? I don't.

I still like Wake Forest point guard KEVIN MILLER better.
I never see his named mentioned. He is in the top 50 transfers.
Maybe I should look up his head to head versus Roach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT