ADVERTISEMENT

A week in….what are you most excited about?

Jakerz

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 13, 2024
Popes been here around a week now.
He’s made some moves on hires. So far the roster is pretty bare but that was expected.

If you can name one thing you’re most optimistic about and only ONE, what would you pick? Potential recruit he could steal? One of the coaches he’s hired? Etc etc

Also, feel free to name ONE thing that worries you the most.

And feel free to update as time goes on.

I’ll start.
I’m very optimistic about the move away from cow and trying something different. I don’t care if Pope goes 5-30 this year, it’s worth the chance to get away from a guy who we know couldn’t win anymore.

The thing I’m most pessimistic about is the roster. Unless pope gets some of these names we’ve contacted that are good, this potential roster is going to struggle to compete.

I'm just glad Cal is gone. I'm also confident the mega NIL money will buy wins in the long run.

I'm concerned that Popes best qualification to be hired was and is he played at UK. He had 0 ncaa tourney wins in almost a decade of coaching. Cal had 11 by this point of his career, including a final four. Pitino had 4 wins and a final four by 8 to 9 years of coaching.

That said, I have a feeling due to NIl and coaching style Pope will ultimately have successes at UK.

He’s made some moves on hires. So far the roster is pretty bare but that was expected.

If you can name one thing you’re most optimistic about and only ONE, what would you pick? Potential recruit he could steal? One of the coaches he’s hired? Etc etc

I’ll start.
I’m very optimistic about the move away from cow and trying something different. I don’t care if Pope goes 5-30 this year, it’s worth the chance to get away from a guy who we know couldn’t win anymore.

The thing I’m most pessimistic about is the roster. Unless pope gets some of these names we’ve contacted that are good, this potential roster is going to struggle to compete.
Wait, so you’re cool going 5-30 because at least you’re not with a guy that doesn’t know how to win?
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

I’ll start.

NO on the 5-30. I'm happy the Charlton is gone.

I’m glad we have Pope, but I’m honestly amazed at this portal stuff. I’m glad guys are getting paid but not sure how sustainable it is for fans. Eventually, why should we care?

Also, feel free to name ONE thing that worries you the
most.

I’ll start.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Eventually weed put the bad fans. Cough cough. He'll get it done recruiting people aren't being patient though. Kentucky is going to be back and not same ish different year.

Eventually weed put the bad fans. Cough cough. He'll get it done recruiting people aren't being patient though. Kentucky is going to be back and not same ish different year.

Kentucky has won 4 national titles in the last 65 seasons. Idk what high level of expectations some of you are thinking we are gonna magically get with Mark Pope. If he coaches 10 years 1 title and 2 or 3 final fours would be impressive.

Kentucky has won 4 national titles in the last 65 seasons. Idk what high level of expectations some of you are thinking we are gonna magically get with Mark Pope. If he coaches 10 years 1 title and 2 or 3 final fours would be impressive.
They won 3 of those titles in the last 28 years, and almost a three-peat from '96--98. Doesn't quite sound as bad. Even Florida had a repeat. Other than Duke and Uconn, it's all pretty much the same. Toughest championship to win. And it's only getting tougher.

To answer the OP...coaching change. Pope hasn't won big, but he understands what it takes to compete as well as anyone. And his first priority IS the University, legacy, and the greater glory of BBN.

I'm not optimistic. And I'm not watching another UK basketball game until Barnhart retires or get fired. And this is coming from someone that was born in Kentucky, was in the marching band at the University of Kentucky, and was a season ticket holder. Pope's teams will have less wins than Billy G's teams. And Pope's team's will have no more than 1 NCAA Tourney wins in his first 3 years.

Good thing…….the fans are excited and happy

Bad thing…….we hired a guy who is grossly unqualified for the Kentucky job. Shit is scary
To be fair, everyone is grossly under qualified for a blue blood school until they’re not. None of us woulda been begging to hire Hurley 3-4 years ago. Same for a lot of coaches. I think we have to give him a couple years before labeling him anything

I'm not optimistic. And I'm not watching another UK basketball game until Barnhart retires or get fired. And this is coming from someone that was born in Kentucky, was in the marching band at the University of Kentucky, and was a season ticket holder. Pope's teams will have less wins than Billy G's teams. And Pope's team's will have no more than 1 NCAA Tourney wins in his first 3 years.
Damn
You might get to eat them words big guy

I like Pope, but it’s looking like his being hired was a mistake. The UK brand isn’t pulling anyone in.

• Haha
Reactions: flacat22

I’ll start.

A well coached team can have considerably less talent and do good things. His team this season wasn't great and they finished better than we did.
If he lands a couple of these big shooters this season will be incredibly fun

I'm just glad Cal is gone. I'm also confident the mega NIL money will buy wins in the long run.

I'm concerned that Popes best qualification to be hired was and is he played at UK. He had 0 ncaa tourney wins in almost a decade of coaching. Cal had 11 by this point of his career, including a final four. Pitino had 4 wins and a final four by 8 to 9 years of coaching.

That said, I have a feeling due to NIl and coaching style Pope will ultimately have successes at UK.
Playing here wasn't anywhere close to his best qualification. If that were the case we would have Travis Ford or pelphrey. His best attribute is the style and offense they run

My favorite thing is the confidence mark has in himself that he can win here. So far he's showing that he knows what he's doing. Moving in silence and keeping everything tight lipped. Going out and getting Hart as an assistant is huge.
The worst thing so far.... Our fans being afraid . Just because cal couldn't win without top 3 talent don't mean a good coach can't. I can only imagine what some on here will say when he gets a player you aren't thrilled about.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
I like Pope, but it’s looking like his being hired was a mistake. The UK brand isn’t pulling anyone in.
Who we miss? We got the same commits as Arkansas who got a week headstart? Let's pause for about two weeks, then you can complain bout missing out on everyone

I like the way Pope runs the offense and glad we have a coach who gets the fanbase but I am starting to get concerned that recruits see UK as an uncool destination.

A well coached team can have considerably less talent and do good things. His team this season wasn't great and they finished better than we did.
If he lands a couple of these big shooters this season will be incredibly fun
Lol, they finished no better than we did. They ended their season at the same point we did, correct?

"bUT tHey fInIsHeD 5 sPoTS hIgHeR iN da kEnpoM!" You don't get anything for that! MSU had 15 losses and finished higher than both. Wisconsin had 14 losses and finished better in Kenpom than both.

BYU finished the season unranked and ended in the rd of 64.

Unless he completely kills it at recruiting in the next couple of weeks, next season is going to be a long one. And if his first season doesn't go well, is he going to be able to get things back on track by year 2 or 3?

I know most everyone was ready for a HC change, but we were just the 9th ranked team the country at the end of the regular season. We were still ranked 12th after the SEC tournament. Acting like people are going to be fine with a losing season or giving Pope several seasons to "rebuild" just aren't being realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKortho

This, just glad Cal is gone. It was the same cycle every year. Even when we were winning…new team every year. Borderline undraftable players turning pro. It got old.

I know the transfer portal still invites roster turnover. But maybe we’ll get a few 2-3 year guys with this staff. As opposed to the Whitneys and Livingstons and Diallos.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Good - He wants to win every game and tournament
Bad - Has to put up with a minority of folks that are extremely negative before he has even coached a game. The first loss will be cataclysmic!

Who we miss? We got the same commits as Arkansas who got a week headstart? Let's pause for about two weeks, then you can complain bout missing out on everyone
Lol, what is with everyone comparing us to ArK and Cal? I thought the idea was to move on from that, but so far every just compares what we're doing to Cal and Ark and rationalizes we are okay because we're in the same situation.

Good - He wants to win every game and tournament
Bad - Has to put up with a minority of folks that are extremely negative before he has even coached a game. The first loss will be cataclysmic!
Wanting it's great, but it's more imperative you actually do it. So far, his resume doesn't show the latter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT