ADVERTISEMENT

A question I have been pondering

Jan 24, 2017
Is Calipari the best coach from all the coaches from other UK athletics teams?

Coach Skinner the volleyball coach has had his team in the NCAA tournament every year he has been the coach at UK - 16 straight years. One national championship, one time national coach of the year, three time SEC Champs, SEC coach of the year 3 times and all south region coach of the year once. The team has 6 Sweet Sixteen and 2 Elite Eight appearances. A very impressive record.

Harry Mullins has been the rifle team coach since 1987. He has won 3 NCAA championships, only one championship behind the 4 Coach Rupp won. His teams have finished top 5 nationally 12 times. He has been named national coach of the year 4 times. And he was also a member of the UK rifle team when he was in college winning 3 SEC championships. Great record.

We all know the record John Calipari has. The University is lucky to have all three coaches. But looking at the records it is difficult for me to say that Calipari's record is the best. Any thoughts?

The difference in John Calipari & other coaches at UK. Is, the other coaches like coaches Skinner, Mullins & softball coach Rachel Lawson took over programs that no one had ever heard of. In the eyes of a lot of people pretty much non existent. Compared to Calipari who took over the most prestigious men's basketball program in the history of college basketball. And what does Calipari do with it? How about a 9-16 record & as of now, early May. Next season doesn't look any better.

The difference in John Calipari & other coaches at UK. Is, the other coaches like coaches Skinner, Mullins & softball coach Rachel Lawson took over programs that no one had ever heard of. In the eyes of a lot of people pretty much non existent. Compared to Calipari who took over the most prestigious men's basketball program in the history of college basketball. And what does Calipari do with it? How about a 9-16 record & as of now, early May. Next season doesn't look any better.
Lol....
Yea he took over a juggernaut. One rated so highly that rick barnes turned down coaching here. Aswell as 3 more .

I love how u skipped the best decade that any coach had in NCAA from 2010/2020. Yea last year is what he done with it

HastyPaltryAtlasmoth-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: woodberry79
UK overall sports is pretty great.
Cheerleading and the dance team both had a chance for another title this past weekend but fell just short.
The softball coach is pretty amazing as well in her own right.
Tennis, soccer, riffle, volleyball, track
But I would say Stoops has changed our Football program around to the positive more than any other.

I will go to say UK is more a GREAT / Elite overall girls sport school.
Up and coming Football program
Rebuilding Men's Basketball

Heck Mens soccer just punched 3trd time overall sweet sixteen ticket.

But Cal will be back on top soon enough.

Last edited:
I never thought it would be possible but a small segment of the UK fanbase is completely turning me off from being a basketball fan. The way the bubba gumps have came at Cal is so unsettling that it just makes you think something far beyond basketball is wrong with these people.

Is Calipari the best coach from all the coaches from other UK athletics teams?

Coach Skinner the volleyball coach has had his team in the NCAA tournament every year he has been the coach at UK - 16 straight years. One national championship, one time national coach of the year, three time SEC Champs, SEC coach of the year 3 times and all south region coach of the year once. The team has 6 Sweet Sixteen and 2 Elite Eight appearances. A very impressive record.

Harry Mullins has been the rifle team coach since 1987. He has won 3 NCAA championships, only one championship behind the 4 Coach Rupp won. His teams have finished top 5 nationally 12 times. He has been named national coach of the year 4 times. And he was also a member of the UK rifle team when he was in college winning 3 SEC championships. Great record.

We all know the record John Calipari has. The University is lucky to have all three coaches. But looking at the records it is difficult for me to say that Calipari's record is the best. Any thoughts?
NO

I never thought it would be possible but a small segment of the UK fanbase is completely turning me off from being a basketball fan. The way the bubba gumps have came at Cal is so unsettling that it just makes you think something far beyond basketball is wrong with these people.
You are not alone.

What about women’s swim and dive team? Didn’t they win the SEC this year? Also, men’s tennis is doing well so far. I think they have one of the best players in the country...

Reactions: Short-Dawg-69
Wins a title in 3 years and goes to the championship game 2 years after that. I have no problem seeing that the program is currently in a downward trend but the constant revisionist history of only attributing the 9/16 season is very disingenuous. We have also beeen ver competitive up to this past season.

Who knows what the OP's intentions were, but it seems like a valid topic for conversation. I usually try to avoid comparing one sport to another, however. But arguments could be made for each coach.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Who knows what the OP's intentions were, but it seems like a valid topic for conversation. I usually try to avoid comparing one sport to another, however. But arguments could be made for each coach.
It does make an interesting question, but comparing coaches from different sports can be difficult.

Reactions: SmedMoley
I am sure so many on here are experts on the coaching abilities of rifle and women's volleyball coaches. I'd love to hear the "experts" on RR break down the Xs and Os of rifle coaching.

Reactions: Graham51
I am sure so many on here are experts on the coaching abilities of rifle and women's volleyball coaches. I'd love to hear the "experts" on RR break down the Xs and Os of rifle coaching.
Don't have to be an expert coach in their fields to see the coaches success. Probably not many basketball coaches here either.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It couldn't have been in any better shape than the way Billy Clyde left it

Maybe when Krzyeweski retires cal might get back on track in getting top talent. I mean looks like Duke will land Patrick Baldwin according to experts

I’d say he is the worst coach of them all. Sure he had a great 6 year run with players that would go on and become NBA all stars. But coaching skills, Cal is dead last.
Very surprising you would say that knowing how much you love Cal.

how can other fans make you not want to be a basketball fan?

I’d say he is the worst coach of them all. Sure he had a great 6 year run with players that would go on and become NBA all stars. But coaching skills, Cal is dead last.
no doubt you would know. 🙄

Casual fan and Kentucky basketball fan does not generally go hand and hand

not many casual fans posting on message boards either
He’s a Kentucky football fan only basically. Thus, he’s just a casual Kentucky basketball fan. Always been difficult for me to fathom, considering UK has the best college basketball program of all time. To each their own, though, I reckon.

Lol....
Yea he took over a juggernaut. One rated so highly that rick barnes turned down coaching here. Aswell as 3 more .

I love how u skipped the best decade that any coach had in NCAA from 2010/2020. Yea last year is what he done with it
I’m not even sure Barnes was ever a serious candidate, but if we really got turned down by Rick Barnes that says a whole lot more about our AD than the program’s stature.

Casual fan and Kentucky basketball fan does not generally go hand and hand

not many casual fans posting on message boards either
If you look at the Kentucky fan base, most fans you could consider “casual”. This is the case with most major programs pro and college.

I attended UK which is my tie to the program. Im historically more of a football guy, but basketball gets swept up into my fandom by default.

It's social media.

Then as a casual fan, why are you here? Why not poach the Lair forum?
I’m a casual fan, but a fan regardless. Does it require being an over-the-top “basketball-first” fan to post here?

I think it sucks we went 9-16, especially given Cals salary—but I’m not losing sleep over it. Mitch made his bed.

I’m a casual fan, but a fan regardless. Does it require being an over-the-top “basketball-first” fan to post here?

I think it sucks we went 9-16, especially given Cals salary—but I’m not losing sleep over it. Mitch made his bed.
There are no "requirements." It just doesn't seem like a casual fan would take the time to post on a message board. Doesn't quite compute.

The casual fans I know are the people that cheer hard for the team at the bar with the rest of the fans but don't know any of the player's names. (I guess we're all headed there at this rate to be fair)

There are no "requirements." It just doesn't seem like a casual fan would take the time to post on a message board. Doesn't quite compute.

The casual fans I know are the people that cheer hard for the team at the bar with the rest of the fans but don't know any of the player's names. (I guess we're all headed there at this rate to be fair)
I post on the Lair and GD boards. Some folks who post on the Lair also post here. Those were the folks I followed over here. Lively discussion during the off-season

I do that. I even have hosted watch parties at my place. Just don’t get into the details or get all thrown out of sorts over a loss.

Last edited:
Harry Mullins has been the rifle team coach since 1987. He has won 3 NCAA championships, only one championship behind the 4 Coach Rupp won. His teams have finished top 5 nationally 12 times. He has been named national coach of the year 4 times. And he was also a member of the UK rifle team when he was in college winning 3 SEC championships.
I’m sorry, but this is a silly comparison. There’s only a small handful of schools that even bother to field a rifle team, and outside of Kentucky and perhaps a couple other states nobody knows that rifle is even an NCAA sport.

That is a TOTALLY different thing than what Cal is up against as a division one basketball coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT