ADVERTISEMENT

A question for former players that were total gunners like J Gohlke ....

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
did you feel like the majority of his shots were good shots ? Or he just got lucky ? My opinion , from playing 3 decades at various levels , my own experience , and from playing with MANY guys who were like Gohlke -- If I could catch it and have enough room to get the shoot off I was going to make it . didnt matter how close you were , how tall you were , how high you could jump .. if a good offensive player , a scorer like that guy , can get the shot off clean you expect to make it , esp while on a heater . So the weird angles , the shoulders not exactly square , the feet not set , the hand right in his face -- none of that matters to guys like him . The way you stop him or slow it way down is not allow him to catch it , you make him put it on the floor . No way you give a catch and shoot .. no way . But we acted like he was Joe Scho and didnt respect him at all. Why did it take 6-7 made threes before we were like " damn we better really attempt to guard this guy". It goes back to how the game starts .. you NEVER give an underdog like them or a gunner like him a positive start . Just curious what other guys think about his shot selection and our D . I cant let it go

I've got into a few zones like that at my local ymca obviously not the same but if your a good shooter the basket looks huge during that heater

Reactions: ManitouDan
What you do is pressure the ball and don’t let him sit there looking for that guy running off a million screens. You get up in him and deny passes so he has to drive and kick it to someone, not run offense to get the one guy they want to shoot shots. We let them walk it up the court and run offense all night

He’s willing to take (and sometimes make) some really bad shots. All more the reason not to go for the pump fake and give him the easy step into threes. He had one on the left wing where I think he faded three feet from right to left in the air. That’s not a good shot but it went in.

As a shooter, once you get hot, there’s no such thing as a bad shot or luck. I don’t know the exact science behind it but it’s true.

I’m 5’7 and not very athletic, so college basketball was a pipe dream but I’ve cooked some really good (D1-D2) players after getting hot.

As a shooter, once you get hot, there’s no such thing as a bad shot or luck. I don’t know the exact science behind it but it’s true.

I’m 5’7 and not very athletic, so college basketball was a pipe dream but I’ve cooked some really good (D1-D2) players after getting hot.
Meeks - Tennessee
Monk - North Carolina
It happens … !!!

Reactions: 247CATS
He was catching balls on the perimeter with no resistance. Deny and stop the ball. When he catches it, be up on him.

As soon as that dude made about three threes or so the game plan should’ve been for Reeves, our best perimeter defender, to lock him down and tell Rob, Reed, Tre, etc to worry about the scoring.

Reed and Rob kept getting caught up in the screens allowing him to see the basket too well.

But to answer your question most of that SOB’s shots were pure luck.

He probably took 7 or 8 that were WTF shots that absolutely no one else would take. If he goes 6/20 everyone is talking about how he shot his team out of the game. But he banked in one and had a couple of others that had low probability of going in, but they did. Credit to him.

Unfortunately, can't say it's luck this year with how many shooters have gone off on us this year. In past years, when Cal had good defenses, yeah, it was a lot of times luck. But we usually shut down the opposing teams best weapon. I think of Fletcher McGee for Wofford, or Marshall Henderson, or Riley Lechance.

Exactly — exactly exactly exactly … “ after getting hot “ and no a 1000 times NO .. he didn’t get lucky .. or he didn’t exactly “ go off “ he hit 50% , his average is 37% .. if the dude hit 14 out of 20 you say that was insane . We screwed the pooch by letting him get off 20 shots , and we have a stock pile of Guards that we could have kept fresh legs on .
In retrospect that huge dunk by Edward’s was costly , we needed every point .

Reactions: 247CATS
That’s the point of this thread , minus maybe 2 makes , they were not junk at all !
I just went back and watched a highlight video of his shots and agree. I originally thought he made more “bad” shots than he did. The bank in and the one I mentioned where he was fading to the left was pretty much it. He hit a couple with the defender right on him(but they weren’t bad shots)but the cats just kept letting him get loose for the most part.

I know our team D has been awful , but the 1 on 1 D against a guy that has 1 trick was just terrible .. how can those solid offensive players NOT know what the guy wanted to do ??? I'm gonna rant for a while , this was sooooo much BS .. even getting rid of Cal isnt really worth having a small chance for # 9

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT