ADVERTISEMENT

A name to watch for the future -- Jon Sumrall

BLUEDOUG46

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2012
I lost my password awhile back and never took time to get another one so I have alot of catchup up to do- BUT Jon is a beloved ex player who is doing a very nice job at Troy. I think Stoops has ran his course here and we have seen the best he has. VERY thankful to him, but really hoping hes on his way out in the neat year or two. Jon is one to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
I agree..if white moves on…I’d love to see about getting Sumrall back and some coachnin waiting moniker to make it worth his while

I think it’s been pretty common thought on here that he’s at the top of Mitch’s list.

Reactions: TeoJ
Sumrall has done a great job at Troy but so did Neal Brown and he’s in over his head in the P5. Plus, Troy was already good when Sumrall got there. If Stoops sticks around a couple more years then UK will be a big rebuild. And Sumrall is a defense first HC like Stoops and most fans are already at their wits end with the ugly offense we’ve seen for 11 years.

Realistically, Sumrall is the most logical choice and we probably can’t get anybody more qualified but I think he’s a big risk.

Sumrall has done a great job at Troy but so did Neal Brown and he’s in over his head in the P5. Plus, Troy was already good when Sumrall got there. If Stoops sticks around a couple more years then UK will be a big rebuild. And Sumrall is a defense first HC like Stoops and most fans are already at their wits end with the ugly offense we’ve seen for 11 years.

Realistically, Sumrall is the most logical choice and we probably can’t get anybody more qualified but I think he’s a big risk.
There was a lapse at Troy in between Brown and Sumrall. Troy had 2 or 3 down years pre-Sumrall and after Brown, coach was fired then Sumrall tuned things around. Brown has flipped WV's script, got them back to a bowl this year, hardly "over his head." Will he ever challenge for a league title? Probably not but don't shortchange him. I like Sumrall too, teams are gritty, hard-nosed, blue collar types. It's good to know UK has an option in Sumrall.

There was a lapse at Troy in between Brown and Sumrall. Troy had 2 or 3 down years pre-Sumrall and after Brown, coach was fired then Sumrall tuned things around. Brown has flipped WV's script, got them back to a bowl this year, hardly "over his head." Will he ever challenge for a league title? Probably not but don't shortchange him. I like Sumrall too, teams are gritty, hard-nosed, blue collar types. It's good to know UK has an option in Sumrall.
Brown is 29-29 at WVU in a way worse league than UK's in so I would say he's in over his head. He would be no better than Stoops. I think he's a better coach but Stoops is a much better recruiter.

I agree..if white moves on…I’d love to see about getting Sumrall back and some coachnin waiting moniker to make it worth his while
Why would he step down from head coach to be a coordinator for us? That’s not a good career move. He’s doing well at Troy, he will have chances maybe as soon as this off season for a power 5

Reactions: Dddjdd and K_TIME
Brown is 29-29 at WVU in a way worse league than UK's in so I would say he's in over his head. He would be no better than Stoops. I think he's a better coach but Stoops is a much better recruiter.
Never said Brown would be better than Stoops or that Brown would be an option should Stoops leave(Brohm's barely over .500 himself but some here think he's headed for the HofF after dodging top ACC teams in an already weak league). For me Sumrall's Option One.

Reactions: The-Hack
Summerall needs a P5 gig first. If he gets one, has a couple 9-win seasons, bowl victory or two, and his teams offenses seem to be on point from staff to production...maybe give him a call.

In the near future, NB might make some noise in the B12 minus Horns and Sooners. There's going to be a power vacuum now.

I mean you figure 2 of his losses every year have been Horns and Sooners. Didn't play horns this year, but played Penn State...

WVU could very easily beat Baylor, finish with 8 reg season wins. Depending on bowl draw they could win 9 games this year.

Follow that up with being right in the mix with OSU, KSU next year...10 wins isn't crazy, plus a decent bowl...NB going to be right back on a lot of radars and call lists.

Reactions: The-Hack
The same Kingsbury that has been fired from both of his HC gigs and had a losing record in conference every season he was at TTU?

Lol these coaches some fans want just continue to prove what some of us repeatedly say - the most vocal fans want to be entertained above all else

Summral is a no brainer IF he's still available when that time comes around.

I think it’s been pretty common thought on here that he’s at the top of Mitch’s list.
38e70b66-11fb-4899-b42d-091d48086367_text.gif

Summerall needs a P5 gig first. If he gets one, has a couple 9-win seasons, bowl victory or two, and his teams offenses seem to be on point from staff to production...maybe give him a call.

In the near future, NB might make some noise in the B12 minus Horns and Sooners. There's going to be a power vacuum now.

I mean you figure 2 of his losses every year have been Horns and Sooners. Didn't play horns this year, but played Penn State...

WVU could very easily beat Baylor, finish with 8 reg season wins. Depending on bowl draw they could win 9 games this year.

Follow that up with being right in the mix with OSU, KSU next year...10 wins isn't crazy, plus a decent bowl...NB going to be right back on a lot of radars and call lists.
Would love to have this NB...where'd he go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT