ADVERTISEMENT

A look back at a few things

yabbadabbadoo

Senior
Nov 3, 2007
I was excited as everyone else when Cal signed on at UK. Great players, championships, exciting basketball, the whole enchilada. Looked like a fun decade ahead, and at times it was. It was actually great at times. People that know a little about the sport, however, couldn’t help but notice some alarming things that were happening.

Great recruiting aside, the first red light flashed for me when we allowed an average WV team to pack a zone on us and knock us out of a championship bid in 2010. NO WAY we should’ve lost that game. A decent high school coach wouldn’t have lost that game imo.

Next was the first UCONN debacle. After beating the tough teams in Ohio State and UNC, we chicken boned and let Kemba Walker pretty much single handedly knock us out of the bracket. Didn’t do ANYTIING to stop or at least contain the guy. I mean nothing.

2012 happened. Great. While Anthony Davis was a great upcoming player, he was accompanied by non frosh Lamb, Jones, and solid senior Darius Miller. Add big hearted Gilchrist to the mix along with freshman Teague, who had a great finals, and it was awesome. This is what it’s about.

Next flashing red light comes in 2014 when Harrison hit a couple daggers to get us to championship game. Thrilling games for sure. Then UCONN again. Once again allowed a Napier kid to do to us about the same as Walker did 3 years earlier and with a first year coach. As Calhoun sat in the stands, you could almost feel he had a hand in guiding Ollie as to how to beat CCC. Oh my.

Then 2015 happened. Can’t even start on this one. Just unacceptable.

For some great times Cal has given us, he really has shiit the bed multiple times because of his coaching ineptness. Not going any further because it ain’t pretty from there, save the little run with Fox, Bam, and Monk.

Great players and recruiting—-9.5-10
Coaching ——————————1.1-10

It’s time for a change please!!!!!!!

I would like to add the fact that a rapidly improving Quickley and Richards might’ve made some noise, but that Covid thing messed everybody up. I’m sure Cal would’ve been the demise of any tournament run that year anyway. Really liked Quickley.

CCC could’ve been sitting on 5 championships right now. That’s hard to swallow, and it’s all because the guy can’t coach. Should’ve had 5. That’s (5). Cinco.

Last edited:
Guys, that quickley team was doomed in the post season. Hagans f***** them. People kept it quite but behind the scenes, he wasnt going to play because the kid completely melted down and is why he got suspended.

yeah its not cal's fault, but when this sh*t keeps happening and players routinely hold the program hostage.... Diallo, Vanderbilt, the "dragon" , Hagans, Sharpe, etc... its then Cal's fostering that culture and he gets what he deserves.

I was excited as everyone else when Cal signed on at UK. Great players, championships, exciting basketball, the whole enchilada. Looked like a fun decade ahead, and at times it was. It was actually great at times. People that know a little about the sport, however, couldn’t help but notice some alarming things that were happening.

Great recruiting aside, the first red light flashed for me when we allowed an average WV team to pack a zone on us and knock us out of a championship bid in 2010. NO WAY we should’ve lost that game. A decent high school coach wouldn’t have lost that game imo.

Next was the first UCONN debacle. After beating the tough teams in Ohio State and UNC, we chicken boned and let Kemba Walker pretty much single handedly knock us out of the bracket. Didn’t do ANYTIING to stop or at least contain the guy. I mean nothing.

2012 happened. Great. While Anthony Davis was a great upcoming player, he was accompanied by non frosh Lamb, Jones, and solid senior Darius Miller. Add big hearted Gilchrist to the mix along with freshman Teague, who had a great finals, and it was awesome. This is what it’s about.

Next flashing red light comes in 2014 when Harrison hit a couple daggers to get us to championship game. Thrilling games for sure. Then UCONN again. Once again allowed a Napier kid to do to us about the same as Walker did 3 years earlier and with a first year coach. As Calhoun sat in the stands, you could almost feel he had a hand in guiding Ollie as to how to beat CCC. Oh my.

Then 2015 happened. Can’t even start on this one. Just unacceptable.

For some great times Cal has given us, he really has shiit the bed multiple times because of his coaching ineptness. Not going any further because it ain’t pretty from there, save the little run with Fox, Bam, and Monk.

Great players and recruiting—-9.5-10
Coaching ——————————1.1-10

It’s time for a change please!!!!!!!

I would like to add the fact that a rapidly improving Quickley and Richards might’ve made some noise, but that Covid thing messed everybody up. I’m sure Cal would’ve been the demise of any tournament run that year anyway. Really liked Quickley.

CCC could’ve been sitting on 5 championships right now. That’s hard to swallow, and it’s all because the guy can’t coach. Should’ve had 5. That’s (5). Cinco.
Totally agree. Great points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT