ADVERTISEMENT

A little trivia question

musrat59

All-American
Feb 6, 2004
What type of ball was used in basketball until 1929. It was one of these four choices: beach ball,dodge ball, volley ball or soccer ball.

The answer is a soccer ball.

It’s known that when James Naismith first invented the game that a soccer ball was used, and according to an article in Total Basketball encyclopedia that was used for two years until a basketball (which was 4” larger in circumference) was specified and created. By 1894 the Spalding Company started manufacturing basketballs, which were hand-made at the time.

Not sure where you got the information that soccer balls were used until 1929 but that’s incorrect.

It’s known that when James Naismith first invented the game that a soccer ball was used, and according to an article in Total Basketball encyclopedia that was used for two years until a basketball (which was 4” larger in circumference) was specified and created. By 1894 the Spalding Company started manufacturing basketballs, which were hand-made at the time.

Not sure where you got the information that soccer balls were used until 1929 but that’s incorrect.
You are by far the ultimate historian. Your post got me a bit curious and I believe I know how the 1929 date got infused:

"U.S. patent #1,718,305 was granted to G.L. Pierce on June 25, 1929 for the "basketball" used in the game."

Reactions: jrpross
Paraphrasing here, but this is still one of my favorite quotes regarding soccer:

“Most people in the South still believe to this day that the sport of soccer is a Commie plot cooked up by the Russians.” - Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory

What type of ball was used in basketball until 1929. It was one of these four choices: beach ball,dodge ball, volley ball or soccer ball.

Get BigBlueHistory’d, OP

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I get these trivia questions in my email on occasion and they give you four choices to see if you get it right. Actually, I got it wrong when I replied. I presented it just as it was asked in my email.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT