ADVERTISEMENT

90.6 ppg

Cal hasn't changed anything except the players. Last 3 seasons we haven't the players to play like Cal wants. That's on him for bring in all those transfers. He's gone back to his roots.
That’s ridiculous but not surprising coming from you. I guess he just brought in modern offensive basketball guru John Welch for the hell of it.

Cal wanted to go to the rock fight offense late in the game, he can’t help himself! He even said in the press conference he wanted to grind it out! You can’t miss free throws if your gonna rock fight!

Cal wanted to go to the rock fight offense late in the game, he can’t help himself! He even said in the press conference he wanted to grind it out! You can’t miss free throws if your gonna rock fight!
That's ambiguous. I heard that. He didn't indicate where in the game he employed it. It sounded like he had them run a few sets during the game as a teaching tool/keep the defenders off-balance thing

Reactions: Fox2monk
That’s ridiculous but not surprising coming from you. I guess he just brought in modern offensive basketball guru John Welch for the hell of it.
Cal didn't completely reinvent himself in the span of a few months. The new hires are helping, but we're playing like this now because we have the talent for it. The past few years we haven't. The offense everyone complained about in '21 was still top 10 in the country in efficiency. The offense that was being run leaned into the fact that Oscar was such a good offensive rebounder. It was a feature.

Reactions: grevey35
To be fair, a more honest take is what we average per 40 minutes. Only scored 77 in regulation and that would’ve brought the ppg down a bit.
If we're basing it off PPG, it truly is 89.6 PPG. If you want to base it off PPG using total minutes played (205 minutes thru 5 games), it's 87.6 PPG. To be precise, just use PPM played (448 points in 205 minutes = 2.19 PPM). That's pretty good to average better than a two point bucket per minute of play each game.

This stat should make us feel better.

Even though we lost a close game to Kansas, its important metric.

Cal hasn't changed anything except the players. Last 3 seasons we haven't the players to play like Cal wants. That's on him for bring in all those transfers. He's gone back to his roots.
Or on the NCAA for letting others buy the type of players he was used to getting.

You must have gotten locked in a closet at Drakes house last July, because you for damn sure haven't watched a game this year if you think nothing has changed but the players. Someone put out a silver alert for this man.

Seriously.

I've hammered Cal for 2 years over the offense. We're watching good basketball for the first time in a long time.
Agreed, but I think a lot of us that aren't so anti-Cal (but are critical of his crappy performance) are skeptical what we're seeing will hold, especially when he inserts a 7-footer into the mix. Will he let Welch drive the offense, or will he take over and regress to his old ways? That's the concern I have, but I'm hopeful what we're seeing is what we'll get the rest of the year, offensive-scheme wise.

Agreed, but I think a lot of us that aren't so anti-Cal (but are critical of his crappy performance) are skeptical what we're seeing will hold, especially when he inserts a 7-footer into the mix. Will he let Welch drive the offense, or will he take over and regress to his old ways? That's the concern I have, but I'm hopeful what we're seeing is what we'll get the rest of the year, offensive-scheme wise.
In stressful situations most everyone will revert back to their nature. It’ s very hard to resist.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We need to as bad as the D has been.
This team does more ball watching than any Cal team I can remember. Reed is a great on ball defender but gets lost quite a bit because he watches the ball and his man gets away. The same thing can be said for Edwards, Rob and DJ. For us to have a shot at a title they have got to get out of that habit. They also need to talk more on ball screens so they don't get lost.

That's ambiguous. I heard that. He didn't indicate where in the game he employed it. It sounded like he had them run a few sets during the game as a teaching tool/keep the defenders off-balance thing
I will say Dilly’s basket made off that set was huge too. He went to it when we were up 6 but we made too many mistakes and missed FT’s.

I was hoping we won that Kansas game strictly to show him that we could win playing that way all game. The more wins we get playing this way, the more he will use it IMO.

Reactions: TheDude73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT