ADVERTISEMENT

8 million

Mar 25, 2017
I know now isn't the time for this question but I'm bored. So I heard from a guy that probably is in the know of things that Donovan wanted 8 million and 3 million total for his staff. Obviously the administration decided to go in a different route. If it were UK, I believe they would have paid up instead of going with the young up and comer but who knows. What do you think your administration would have done if Cal decided to go to the NBA again? Also, if you went with the young coach would it divide the fan base any?

I know now isn't the time for this question but I'm bored. So I heard from a guy that probably is in the know of things that Donovan wanted 8 million and 3 million total for his staff. Obviously the administration decided to go in a different route. If it were UK, I believe they would have paid up instead of going with the young up and comer but who knows. What do you think your administration would have done if Cal decided to go to the NBA again? Also, if you went with the young coach would it divide the fan base any?
Donavan would be my first call.

After that Gillespie disaster no way we would ever go with an up and comer again it was pretty bad. so I'd imagine we would pay the money... as we have learned with Calipari also is the U.K. Job goes beyond basketball you have to be an "ambassador" to the state, so I would think any coach after will have to fit that mold.

Reactions: d2atTech

I can agree not to pay Donovan that much, he isn't that good. At the same time I'm not sure they needed to make that big a step down either. They hired a coach that's never had a season with less than 8 loses. He could turn out to be okay but it's risky imo.

In a word, yes. If we wanted the coach we would pay it. Of course, Barnhart would have to excuse himself from the search, though.

I don't like letting any coach name their price and hold the school hostage. I would make them earn it with incentives. If they don't want that, then walk away.

We won't hire a new coach. There will be a proctor that will sit on the bench and review this board in realtime during the games. He can adjust game strategy accordingly.

We will never lose another game.

I can agree not to pay Donovan that much, he isn't that good. At the same time I'm not sure they needed to make that big a step down either. They hired a coach that's never had a season with less than 8 loses. He could turn out to be okay but it's risky imo.
You've watched his teams a lot more than I have, I just assumed he was a great coach. Even if he's not if he comes back to college he'll recruit the best just like UK and Duke does. That's why we wanted him. My gut feeling Is Archie is going to do great, but you never know. It may be another roller coaster ride.

It just sucks knowing that we could've had Donovan and our AD Fred Glass specifically said resources would not stop us from getting the guy we wanted if that's what it took. Archie should do fine though.

Reactions: IUforver
I don't want anybody that has ever been associated with Pitino coaching at Kentucky again. I know some do and he is a good coach, but I don't think he is worth that much.

It just sucks knowing that we could've had Donovan and our AD Fred Glass specifically said resources would not stop us from getting the guy we wanted if that's what it took. Archie should do fine though.
Not sure you could've had Donovan. He may have thrown out those outrageous
numbers knowing IU wouldn't go for it.

I'm right there with you. Of course this could all be garbage but I believe it. I'm sure you heard the same thing or at least similar numbers.

I think I'm pretty respectful while on others forums. I just realized I'm banned from Purdue's though. I usually don't post often but I have here recently. What does it take to get banned anyways?

five final fours and two national titles at a school with no basketball pedigree *is* pretty impressive. if cal leaves, we should call donavan. with that said, i think cal stays at least until he wins another title. i'm thinking 2019 is our year. final four next year coming up...

I think I'm pretty respectful while on others forums. I just realized I'm banned from Purdue's though. I usually don't post often but I have here recently. What does it take to get banned anyways?
Just keep it up, Buddy, and you're going to get banned!! JK.

Not sure you could've had Donovan. He may have thrown out those outrageous
numbers knowing IU wouldn't go for it.
Keep in mind he led the UK admins on through 2 coaching searches (at least 1.5 searches).

He also "decommitted" from the Orlando Magic.

Billy Donovan doesn't really have a clear picture of where he wants his coaching career to go.

five final fours and two national titles at a school with no basketball pedigree *is* pretty impressive. if cal leaves, we should call donavan. with that said, i think cal stays at least until he wins another title. i'm thinking 2019 is our year. final four next year coming up...

Florida had been to final fours before Billy and just about went to their next one without him today. We are done with him too I'd bet. I didn't say he was a bad coach but he's not worth 8 million.

Reactions: d2atTech
Probably not.

But will never go with a coach who hasn't been to at least one final four.

We tried that with Sampson and Crean. Sometimes the up and comer is better. I would've liked Marshall but the dude is clearly nuts. His wife doesn't help matters.

Never happened. Donovan would barely address IU job questions. All message board BS to make Indiana fans feel relevant. You got a young unproven coach because you had to.

ADVERTISEMENT