ADVERTISEMENT

5* PG Jeremiah Fears Decommits From Illinois.

Played up on the U17 circuit last year, so good on him!

We might very well be reaching out in the event he stays in the 2025 class. Probably just kicking the tires to get his temperature.

That said, as a 4/5 star (depending on the site) I don't get why he'd rather play 2024 at the HS level. If he can get on the roster here, learn daily form Butler, live in the Wildcat Coal Lodge, play in lesser games, etc. for a year and be ready to take the reigns and bump his NIL up in 2025 I don't get why he would not do that even though he will not be a featured player in year 1. Plus, Lexington is closer to his home in Joliet (Ill.) than the program he is at in Arizona (Compass Prep).

Could be some insurance in 2024 at PG if the old Cal injury bug bites too.

We might very well be reaching out in the event he stays in the 2025 class. Probably just kicking the tires to get his temperature.

That said, as a 4/5 star (depending on the site) I don't get why he'd rather play 2024 at the HS level. If he can get on the roster here, learn daily form Butler, live in the Wildcat Coal Lodge, play in lesser games, etc. for a year and be ready to take the reigns and bump his NIL up in 2025 I don't get why he would not do that even though he will not be a featured player in year 1. Plus, Lexington is closer to his home in Joliet (Ill.) than the program he is at in Arizona (Compass Prep).

That would be a smart decision and wonderful opportunity for him. Unfortunately most of these guys and their parents included want to take the fast and easy route to making that NBA money, which is often times to their detriment.

Pilgrim just said Kentucky is putting out feelers because of a staff connection to fears. He said the fit would have to be good and that the staff likes the roster situation as is right now and they don’t want to mess up good chemistry by adding somebody late that could do that.
This is daft. There's no way this coaching staff seriously thinks this. And if they do, they should be fired now and save us all time.

Pilgrim just said Kentucky is putting out feelers because of a staff connection to fears. He said the fit would have to be good and that the staff likes the roster situation as is right now and they don’t want to mess up good chemistry by adding somebody late that could do that.

Just like with Riley, would love to have him IFF he will come in 2025. Hope that can be done.

It’s Interesting to see how this recruitment plays out.

That would be a smart decision and wonderful opportunity for him. Unfortunately most of these guys and their parents included want to take the fast and easy route to making that NBA money, which is often times to their detriment.

2025, but I read somewhere he might reclassify to the 2024 class.

This kid is really good!
I personally know Jeremiah and his younger brother, Jamarri. I won't say in what capacity, because we have a legit sociopath on this message board who I don't want to share info with, but I can tell you that I worked with Jeremiah and then worked with his little brother.

They're great people. As recently as 2023, Jeremiah told me Kentucky was still his "dream school." I know we laugh at the "dream school" stuff, but he's loved Kentucky since he was a kid. I used to talk to him about the Mean Streets AU team and he was an avid follower of Tyler Ulis.

I think we could get this kid if Kentucky's serious. He's a great player and in my opinion is the best Joliet-area player since Roger Powell, who played for Illinois' runner-up team in 2005.

Fears is said to be a 'smooth and confident scorer.' Can break defenders down off the dribble to get a shot. A combo guard that is at his best off the ball because of his scoring mind set. At times can be a little loose with dribble. Not sure how he would pair well with Johnson because Johnson is better as two also and also has a scoring mind set.

Do you think he needs to hear “He will be the starting point guard” to come. If he is willing to come no matter the playing time conditions, you take him with the hope he stays a second year. If he has playing time demands, maybe not.
Having said this, I would much rather have a guy like Moreno, Bundalo or Reibe reclass than a guard. We have plenty of 6-2-6-7 guys and that is likely what sticks around next season from this team. We need someone besides Garrison inside with a potential future on this team.

This suggests he WILL reclassify to 2024. The video highlights posted via on3 led me down a rabbit hole of highlights/stats. He does look to get a little loose handled at times, but that can be fixed. What I loved is how well he takes it to the basket....MAKING LAYUPS or making the pass underneath to get a big man involved. Does not seem to be a true assist machine, but more a play maker with active legs. My observation is only based on highlights though, so I will defer to @Son_Of_Saul for the real insight.

I would be happy to have him as our 13th BOOM if we do not have an option to add size in the front court from another high-end reclass candidate.

Last edited:
This suggests he WILL reclassify to 2024. The video highlights posted via on3 led me down a rabbit hole of highlights/stats. He does look to get a little loose handled at times, but that can be fixed. What I loved is how well he takes it to the basket....MAKING LAYUPS or making the pass underneath to get a big man involved. Does not seem to be a true assist machine, but more a play maker with active legs. My observation is only based on highlights though, so I will defer to @Son_Of_Saul for the real insight.

I be happy to have him as our 13th BOOM if we do not have an option to add size in the front court from another high-end reclass candidate.
He's a downhill play maker. Very quick. Crazy motor. Excellent in isolation. Not very strong. His three point shot needs development. Potential to be Tyler Ulisesque on defense. Multiyear developmental player

I think he's perfect for Kentucky's system under Pope because he's the furthest thing from a traditional Calipari point guard and the UK staff will be able to develop him. I actually think he's a four-year player. Not even a two and done. He just doesn't have the skillset yet. I also think he's reasonable in his long-term mindset and that he understands his current limitations.

But he'd be an outstanding developmental point guard. Some services have him in the top 20, but I actually wouldn't rank him that high. I'd have him in the 30s. I think with Fears, you get what we initially "expected" to get from Ulis (before Ulis blew up all of our expectations). Great defender. Smart with the ball. 3-4 year player. Low statistical output in year 1 and 2. Start to show potential in year #2. Becomes a starter in year 3.

I also think his burnout potential is low, meaning that I think he would buy into a long-term approach at Kentucky under Pope.

Saw on YouTube some dudes talking about Fears wanting starting and playing time promises made to him.

If Fears comes in expecting to start or play a lot of minutes, I think he has to go elsewhere. Just not a lot of minutes to go around in the backcourt.

They did speculate that Jasper Johnson is his best friend and that Fears might be convinced to come here and maybe play with Johnson in 25-26.

If Fears is willing to come to UK, learn behind the experienced guys we have, and then take over the PG position as a Soph, that would be ideal. He needs to get stronger and work on his shot. A year with Pope developing would be helpful.

Fears, Johnson, and Oweh at the 1-3 spots in 25-26 would be a pretty solid backcourt.

Saw on YouTube some dudes talking about Fears wanting starting and playing time promises made to him.

If Fears comes in expecting to start or play a lot of minutes, I think he has to go elsewhere. Just not a lot of minutes to go around in the backcourt.

They did speculate that Jasper Johnson is his best friend and that Fears might be convinced to come here and maybe play with Johnson in 25-26.

If Fears is willing to come to UK, learn behind the experienced guys we have, and then take over the PG position as a Soph, that would be ideal. He needs to get stronger and work on his shot. A year with Pope developing would be helpful.

Fears, Johnson, and Oweh at the 1-3 spots in 25-26 would be a pretty solid backcourt.

I dont see any playing time for a 13th player.

If he as good as some say, he may be able to come in and compete for big minutes at PG. I'm not a fan of giving both of the more experienced guys automatically.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

I dont see any playing time for a 13th player.

If he as good as some say, he may be able to come in and compete for big minutes at PG. I'm not a fan of giving both of the more experienced guys automatically.
Sleepers Media? I watched the same podcast.

Those guys made it clear that they were just speculating. They made a good argument, but it was 100% based on speculation.

The last time I spoke with Fears and his family, he had no sense of being a OAD. Unless he's had an abrupt about-face since last summer, I don't think he's that delusional.

That said, it really comes down to whether or not he's willing to learn and be a role player in year #1 or if he wants immediate playing time. I do not think being a OAD is on his mindset, especially after he saw how hard it is to compete at a high level through his older brother Jeremy's experiences at Michigan State.

Reactions: will1976

That last sentence where you mentioned the 1-3 spots is realistic. You get those guys, plus Garrison, Noah, Perry, and Chandler as your foundation for next season.

Then you add 2 or 3 more freshmen, in addition to a handful of portal guys.

Pope could start to slowly rebuild the UK brand over the next few seasons.

By the way, @bucsrule8872 , how are you enjoying your summer break? I know you're a teacher so I'm sure you've been living it up. I hope it's going well for you, brother.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
That last sentence where you mentioned the 1-3 spots is realistic. You get those guys, plus Garrison, Noah, Perry, and Chandler as your foundation for next season.

By the way, @bucsrule8872 , how are you enjoying your summer break? I know you're a teacher so I'm sure you've been living it up. I hope it's going well for you, brother.
Thanks man! Summer is the best time of year for educators, as you well know. My blood pressure has to be at least 20 points lower on average in the summer than any other time. LOL!

I’m taking a new position this coming year as the Credit Recovery teacher in our school, and I’m mentoring the guy who is taking my spot in the Social Studies department, so next year could be a tough one for me as I transition to something new and help a new teacher get his bearings. But I’m looking forward to doing something different after 27 years in a traditional classroom. Time to try something slightly different. I am totally burned out on direct instruction. I’ve got 3 more years, then I can retire at 55.

What about you? How are things going? Are you still in the classroom? If so, how much longer you got before you can retire?

• Love

Got another question for you about bball. Since you know Fears, do you know anything about him and Jasper Johnson being good friends and wanting to play together? How much of that will play into their recruitments? If they are close friends, that could really be to UK’s advantage if both want to play here. Fingers crossed.

Lance Dawe from Locked on Kentucky mentioned that Fears does not shoot the 3 very well at all. He mentioned being less than 30%(6 of 37 in the last EYBL circuit). I don't know if that is true. I am not sure where to pull the statistics. But, if that is the case, he might not be a guy the staff is willing to stir up team chemistry to sign. I will say, Lance seems to be a regurgitator😁 rather than a true scout. Not a big fan of his, but when there is very little coming out, sometimes I get desperate. Since I used his statistics, I did link the podcast he spoke about Fears

Lance Dawe on Fears

Got another question for you about bball. Since you know Fears, do you know anything about him and Jasper Johnson being good friends and wanting to play together? How much of that will play into their recruitments? If they are close friends, that could really be to UK’s advantage if both want to play here. Fingers crossed.
That's a great question and I'll ask around. I still see his little brother a few times each year. I know they played on Team USA together.

Last edited:
Thanks man! Summer is the best time of year for educators, as you well know. My blood pressure has to be at least 20 points lower on average in the summer than any other time. LOL!

I’m taking a new position this coming year as the Credit Recovery teacher in our school, and I’m mentoring the guy who is taking my spot in the Social Studies department, so next year could be a tough one for me as I transition to something new and help a new teacher get his bearings. But I’m looking forward to doing something different after 27 years in a traditional classroom. Time to try something slightly different. I am totally burned out on direct instruction. I’ve got 3 more years, then I can retire at 55.

What about you? How are things going? Are you still in the classroom? If so, how much longer you got before you can retire?
Retire at 55? You're blessed, sir. That's awesome! Then you'll be living the dream for the downslope part of your life. It doesn't get any better.

Congrats on the new position. You'll do great.

I've still got another 17 to 20 years before I can retire, but I'm okay with that. I'm taking a summer break from my second fulltime job, so I'm actually free from work for the next 6 weeks or so. I think I could go the distance in my primary vocation if I end up stepping out of the second one. It's been hard working two fulltime jobs the last few years. It's left little time for myself. This place has been a distraction refuge for me, and helped get my mind off the grind.

Reactions: NerlensCat
Lance Dawe from Locked on Kentucky mentioned that Fears does not shoot the 3 very well at all. He mentioned being less than 30%(6 of 37 in the last EYBL circuit). I don't know if that is true. I am not sure where to pull the statistics. But, if that is the case, he might not be a guy the staff is willing to stir up team chemistry to sign. I will say, Lance seems to be a regurgitator😁 rather than a true scout. Not a big fan of his, but when there is very little coming out, sometimes I get desperate. Since I used his statistics, I did link the podcast he spoke about Fears

Lance Dawe on Fears
Dawe is correct. Fears is not a good three point shooter, but his mechanics are there. He also had 18 steals in 6 games. By comparison, Jasper Johnson only had 5. Fears is an elite defender.

If you get him for 2 or 3 years, he's going to be a solid shooter in time. I think the UK staff would be more than willing to be patient in that area if Fears is willing to be developed. It's clear that the staff wants ball-hawk perimeter defenders. This is primarily why they brought in Butler. You can afford to have one of those guys in your main rotation if he's surrounded by 3 other guys who can clip at 37+%.

Fears would fit that role for UK long term. He'd be your Cliff Hawkins, only with better scoring ability, elite speed, and NBA potential.

It will be interesting. I know for a fact that he's always wanted to be at UK. He's mentioned it every time I've seen him. The only question is whether or not he's willing to be patient in the process. He'd absolutely be a role player in his first year here. He's just not good enough right now to demand 30 minutes/game with guys like Kriisa and Butler on the roster.

Last edited:
Retire at 55? You're blessed, sir. That's awesome! Then you'll be living the dream for the downslope part of your life. It doesn't get any better.

Congrats on the new position. You'll do great.

I've still got another 17 to 20 years before I can retire, but I'm okay with that. I'm taking a summer break from my second fulltime job, so I'm actually free from work for the next 6 weeks or so. I think I could go the distance in my primary vocation if I end up stepping out of the second one. It's been hard working two fulltime jobs the last few years. It's left little time for myself. This place has been a distraction refuge for me, and helped get my mind off the grind.
I was going to be a Math Teacher until my student teaching. Could not do it! I knew I was going to get fired for letting my emotions get to me. Funny thing is, after finishing a career in Manufacturing, I am a contractor who teaches specific IT Software. It was bound to happen:)

My sister is an elementary school teacher in Paducah. God Bless her!

One of my best friends in college and went on to teach in high school, then college.

Much respect for teachers It can be so rewarding and yet so emotionally challenging!

Good luck to both of you!

• Love
I was going to be a Math Teacher until my student teaching. Could not do it! I knew I was going to get fired for letting my emotions get to me. Funny thing is, after finishing a career in Manufacturing, I am a contractor who teaches specific IT Software. It was bound to happen:)

One of my best friends in college and went on to teach in high school, then college.

Much respect for teachers It can be so rewarding and yet so emotionally challenging!

That's awesome, man. Thanks for the well-wishing. I also wish you the best.

Reactions: NerlensCat
That's awesome, man. Thanks for the well-wishing. I also wish you the best.

Yes, teaching is definitely a rewarding job. I retired at 62, 2 years ago after teachng at all levels for 33 years in Marion County Florida. I was born in 1960 in Estill County. I must admit I miss the classroom and dream often of being back in. Funny though, in most of my dreams I am lost and can't find my classroom to teach.

Yes, teaching is definitely a rewarding job. I retired at 62, 2 years ago after teachng at all levels for 33 years in Marion County Florida. I was born in 1960 in Estill County. I must admit I miss the classroom and dream often of being back in. Funny though, in most of my dreams I am lost and can't find my classroom to teach.
That's awesome, sir. Thank you for sharing some of your story. I bet you were an great educator.

Have you ever considered subbing from time to time?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT