ADVERTISEMENT

5 alabama football players have the Rona

I'm a Negative Nancy but we'll hit a quarter of a million dead by the start of Septembet and could reach a half a million dead heading into 2021.
That's WITH the shutdowns, social distancing and masks. Things are opening back up, people aren't social distancing and fewer people are wearing masks.

WEAR A DAMN MASK. Highest rate of mask usage translates to lower transmission rates.

Opening campuses this Fall and having large sporting events will be a disaster. Cases are already spiking in states that are opening.

We act like we're through with this virus but it's just getting started......

Wishing and Hoping and getting tired of the measures necessary to control this thing are going to get people killed

I'm a Negative Nancy but we'll hit a quarter of a million dead by the start of Septembet and could reach a half a million dead heading into 2021.
That's WITH the shutdowns, social distancing and masks. Things are opening back up, people aren't social distancing and fewer people are wearing masks.

WEAR A DAMN MASK. Highest rate of mask usage translates to lower transmission rates.

Opening campuses this Fall and having large sporting events will be a disaster. Cases are already spiking in states that are opening.

Wishing and Hoping and getting tired of the measures necessary to control this thing are going to get people killed

Calm down grandpa.

Reactions: CB3UK and gojvc

I agree with the first four words of your post.

I'm curious as to what argument you could offer that supports we WON'T get to those numbers.

Because I sure as Hell can't find one.

I mean, I suppose you could be okay with that level of death, because sportsball, but....

Reactions: BlueTick2
I'm curious as to what argument you could offer that supports we WON'T get to those numbers.

I mean, I suppose you could be okay with that level of death, because sportsball, but....
I am seriously burnt out with arguing against the virus lovers, so I'll keep this short. Here's one argument right now. The daily death rate is less than half of what it was in April and dropping daily. To get to 250,000 deaths by September, the rate would need to nearly TRIPLE where it's at now and, I'm sorry, but it's just not going to happen. You're betting on the virus and I'm betting against it. And there are plenty of other reasons, and if you "sure as Hell can't find one", then I respectfully suggest that you start looking harder.

The data shows that daily deaths are slowing down. Besides, it’s a given that too many deaths have been ascribed to covid.

I guess it could return later and those numbers trend back up but right now the date doesn’t back up what you’re saying.

Reactions: WildcatofNati
The data shows that daily deaths are slowing down. Besides, it’s a given that too many deaths have been ascribed to covid.

I guess it could return later and those numbers trend back up but right now the date doesn’t back up what you’re saying.
You are correct and how do we know that the players caught it as a direct result of football workouts? The Coronabros want to wait for a vaccine that may never come.

Reactions: WildcatofNati

Not only are the numbers of deaths and those in “serious or critical condition” dropping dramatically in the US, but the heat and humidity are far greater protections against all viruses than cool or cold weather.

In the months you reference, the worldwide # of deaths might see spikes driven by the Southern Hemisphere, but all indicators in the US are way down for several weeks running.

Always happy when young people test positive. Herd immunity is what is needed. Hopefully every athlete in the country gets it.

Hopefully the virus will attenuate as well.

Reactions: JumperJack
These days, he can sit in his cave at home and review film with them and handle chalk talk. He needs Toth or similar to return as a grad assistant and handle the practice field, while Coach Schlarman stays in a tower with a bullhorn and a headset.

He needs a tower higher than the prevailing winds.

Reactions: The-Hack

He will probably come up with his argument as soon as you justify your WAG.

Always happy when young people test positive. Herd immunity is what is needed. Hopefully every athlete in the country gets it.

At first blush, that sounds a tad harsh, but the simple reality is (1) we are unlikely to put a virus spread in the air completely in a box by social changes or inoculations, and (2) the youngest and healthiest are least at risk.

I have supported the closures, and am glad we did them, gaining time for hot weather and insuring no massive spike sans New York and New Jersey.

We will see continued diagnoses, and patterns are emerging suggesting a loss of potency and/or the possibility of variant forms of the disease.

We must approach all of this with balance and commonsense.

My "wild ass guess" is based on CDC modelling.

Ensemble forecasting range was 120-143,000 deaths by June 27. We're gonna be upper end of that.

Try again

Hopefully the virus will attenuate as well.
I understand the sentiment and do not necessarily disagree, but research is nowhere complete on whether any long-term health issues are compromised. Hopefully not, of course. I am cautiously optimistic about the herd immunity thesis and sure hope it's correct and part of the solution.

Last edited:
For my money a season is pretty much inevitable. It may be truncated to conference games only, and players infected will miss games, but given how much they rely on football to make budgets work athletic departments don't have a choice. If infections rise all summer then maybe they delay but that's not currently the case and schools are planning accordingly.

The fascinating thing is what happens when a starting qb of a top team gets it.

And I thought u had to self isolate 14 days no matter what. Not just a few days.

Thanks for the links guys. On my phone and couldn't get it to work.

Whatever happens this season it will require more breaks going your way than a normal year. Say your QB test positive, he is isolated 2 weeks, who else is? Will the entire QB room be out because of close contact? Will any of the offense be forced to self isolate? LSU put what may have been the best offense ever in college football on the field in 19. If the QB had to miss a couple big games alone with a WR or 2, it would have gone to average maybe.

I want the season to take place, but it will be a season where luck will be a major variable. Got to be virus free, pandemic inner team could mean multiple forfeits

Whatever happens this season it will require more breaks going your way than a normal year. Say your QB test positive, he is isolated 2 weeks, who else is? Will the entire QB room be out because of close contact? Will any of the offense be forced to self isolate? LSU put what may have been the best offense ever in college football on the field in 19. If the QB had to miss a couple big games alone with a WR or 2, it would have gone to average maybe.

I want the season to take place, but it will be a season where luck will be a major variable. Got to be virus free, pandemic inner team could mean multiple forfeits

Life & health is much more important than football. (Most of us agree about this.)

From football perspective, this could be the year some middle tier schools knock off some top 5 programs for reasons you mentioned. I'd like to beat UGa straight up head to head. But ... if their top QB was out a game and it helped us make an SEC Championship game then I wouldn't complain.

Again, player's health is most important. But, I can see your scenario happening with some key players having to sit out some games.

but we'll hit a quarter of a million dead by the start of Septembet

Ensemble forecasting range was 120-143,000 deaths by June 27. We're gonna be upper end of that.

Even assuming we were at 143,000 by June 27, to get to a quarter of a million by September 1, our death toll in the next 65 days would have to exceed our worst 65 day period in March/April.

With continuing precautions, I just don't see it.

And let's not assume that having a season means a return to "normal." we might have no fans or reduced fans in attendance.

Reactions: jauk11
My "wild ass guess" is based on CDC modelling.

Try again

And June 27th is almost another month from now, and still your death toll will barely be half what you expect by the FIRST of Sept, which is only another two months away. Your numbers just don't make any sense, definitely more like a PREJUDICED WAG. Besides that, if they did start to take that huge jump you can bet everyone would return to being much more cautious again.

Clemson athletes testing positive. Probably better than expected.

I'm guessing football will be hit hard with so many of these teams out in the crowds during protests. I'm expecting most teams to end up with a large number of players getting it. Wait until the first player gets seriously ill and dies and football will probably be over. I imagine more people will protest and lawsuits will be filed because of the death/s. I'm going to be surprised if any season happens at all or finishes if it does with the way this country is right now. Unless some miracle treatment is found soon besides quarantining.

Reactions: jauk11
I'm guessing football will be hit hard with so many of these teams out in the crowds during protests. I'm expecting most teams to end up with a large number of players getting it. Wait until the first player gets seriously ill and dies and football will probably be over. I imagine more people will protest and lawsuits will be filed because of the death/s. I'm going to be surprised if any season happens at all or finishes if it does with the way this country is right now. Unless some miracle treatment is found soon besides quarantining.

It will probably be over as soon as the lawyers find out they can make a nickel from it. And they will.

By the way, have you heard about the lawn care product causing cancer yet? How about the boy scouts that were mistreated long ago? Better hurry.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyCatFan
Hell, you can't keep college players in after curfew. How are you going to quarantine them for two weeks, lock them up?

Not that unreasonable if you are on a football team and there are hundreds of millions at stake. Haven't they forced quarantine on all kinds of people before, with their livelihood at stake?

Sounds like most of these positives were due to the tests when they returned to school, they didn't get it from the workouts, they got it from not being at the workouts, lol. Isn't that true, and aren't they a lot better off since they went to the workouts and were diagnosed?

Last edited:
"Two #Texas football players test positive for COVID-19 upon #Longhorns return for summer workouts. https://247sports.com/college"

This.

What people are missing is that the return to practice is NOT causing the spread, it is just showing who has contacted it BEFORE coming back to campus. AND it is a good thing for those infected because they are now able to get EARLY and the BEST treatment, vs staying home and letting it advance undetected.

I'm still skeptical about football season. I'm still skeptical about every college having kids return to campus.

Reports out of more than one state that kids are having "Corona Parties" where one of them that's known positive is at the party, everybody puts money in a pot, and you "win" the pot by being the first one to catch the disease.

This has been confirmed in Tuscaloosa and Austin.

And we WILL get to 100,000 cases a day guys. Again this isn't my prediction. It's what the scientists say..

I'm still skeptical about football season. I'm still skeptical about every college having kids return to campus.

Reports out of more than one state that kids are having "Corona Parties" where one of them that's known positive is at the party, everybody puts money in a pot, and you "win" the pot by being the first one to catch the disease.

And we WILL get to 100,000 cases a day guys. Again this isn't my prediction. It's what the scientists say..

We're probably at 500,000 a day per CDC estimates that there are 10 unconfirmed cases for every confirmed case, and, meanwhile, yesterday was the lowest Wednesday death toll since March. The scientists at CDC also say that actual the IFR is probably around .26%. In Cincinnati, last time I looked, there are half as many people over 100 who have died here than those under 60- and 0 people under 30 have.

And we shut down the country for this. Astonishing.

That and protesting. College kids are not dying and asymptomatics are not spreading it. Kids need to be in school. Online classes are worthless unless you are 30 and working on a MBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT